Suffren vs Graf Spee vs Northampton

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by eighthgear, Nov 29, 2009.

1. eighthgear

eighthgear Member

How are Italian cruisers like the Capitani Romani or Trento, of even battleships like the Littorio or Andrea Doria in combat?

2. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

the Romani is one of the finest torpedo-cruisers you can build. 40+ knot speed, very maneuverable, and enough freeboard to handle heavier seas. In the WWCC, one of the few boats I truly fear is a Romani. The Littorio is basically the Italian equivalent of an Iowa, with good speed, good size, three triple 1/4" guns, and heavy armor. It also has triple rudders, which makes for an interesting engineering challenge during construction.

The Trento is a reasonably good heavy cruiser, it is very fast for its size and armament. Faster than Allied heavy cruisers, but does not compare well to the Mogami. The Conti Di Cavour was the first battleship I ever saw sink, and that particular model was only a year or two younger than me. It's a decent battleship, but doesn't excel in any particular areas. The WWII version is much more useful, since the WWI version's amidships turret gets in the way of CO2 bottles and batteries.