Sun Apr 18 - Coal Creek Battle

Discussion in 'Washington Cascade Column' started by NickMyers, Apr 18, 2010.

1. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Had a great time out at the pond today. I'll be posting some pictures up sometime this week, theres 600+ to go through. From skimming them, I'd say there's a lot of pretty good looking 'beauty shots', not so much great for battle shots, though there are a few.
    Phill, I may have some trouble with your request for pictures of the Mogador on the move as it looks like most of the time you were on the move was in battle when I wasn't taking pictures, but I do have some of it in the water with the big boys, a few of its floating super structure pieces and one long shot of it on the bottom.

2. NickMyers

3. NickMyers

4. NickMyers

5. phill

phill Active Member

A mixed day for me though the wrap up was encouraging.
    On the plus side, the Mogodor had her combat debut. I think I should complain about 13 units against two... As Nick's picture showed, the result was wet but not because of battle damage but because she doesn't have enough battery and she got put under with prop wash. I will be looking at moving to NiMH batteries. I didn't go that way originally because I didn't have a charger that would charge them. That problem has been solved. Now I need some cells...
    We had good attendance at this battle. It was great seeing Kelley back on the water after a couple of years. It looks like the Inflexible has a new captain. Let's hope this is a better pairing than Andrew had with the Westfalen... I'm glad Dan had a chance to run the Suffren, we may entice him into the hobby.
    I spent too much time messing with electrical issues (that were not electrical issues...) and at the end figured that I had blown three speed controlers ( a possible record for a single day ). Turns out that I was wrong. The solid red light means that the rx isn't getting a signal. In the case of the Tugboat, I managed to misalign the plug when I reassembled it so that it wasn't getting a signal from the rx. When I saw this once I was putting boats away, I tried plugging it in properly and it booted correctly and is runing fine. I tried the same thing with the Mutsu and no luck so I grabbed another rx and tried with it - again, it booted correctly and is working. I think the source of the problem is that there is a conector inside the radio box that allows me to disconnect and remove the RX. I think I have screwed it up and there isn't enough wire to receive a signal if the connector isn't working. This was a byproduct of the other work I just completed on the radio box. So, I don't need to start over with new ESC's though I am still interested in having spares!

6. NickMyers

Glad you solved the ESC problem without having to throw them out, shame that we couldn't figure that out in time to get you back on the water.

Dan had a good time, but I'm not sure he's sold on the time & monetary investment yet. For the moment he's happy to have holes put in my freshly sheeted hull if hes not the one patching it :/ I should have swapped with the Insufferable on the spot :D

7. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Bismarck is fine. She got a lot more damage than I though she did but came away victorious anyway. I figured out was is wrong with my side mount, it wasnt the poppet valve like I thought it was. The valve in my cannon that allows another BB to enter the chamber is getting stuck and is very slow to recoil and load a new BB. It is also not allowing maximum amount of air through the gun. I am going to try some WD40 if that doesnt work I may need to start looking for a new cannon.

The battle was great however. Im glad to see we had so many ship ready to go. I had a lot of fun.

8. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Phill, you should check out the LiFePo cells from strike models. You know my karlsruhe, even with NIMH I could not get the runtime and weight to work out well.... I ended up using the more volatile Lipo's (the LiFePo's were not available readily yet).

-Greg

9. NickMyers

Wait, there was damage we didn't see pondside? How much?
    If the piston in your cannon is sticking, you might try replacing the spring if its using one (or adding one if its not), that should drive it back. You shouldn't need to get a whole new cannon. If there's a lack of bore clearance in the pistons path that its binding on you should also be able to file it out a little more I'd think.

10. NickMyers

Alex, I might hate myself forever for this, but it seems to me that you've got the Bis set up at 6.5 units. If I recall rightly, and the IRCWCC posted rules seem to agree (though the shiplist doesn't) the Bismarck is now a class 7, 7 unit ship. You might consider switching that 75rnd bow gun to a normal 1 unit magazine and mounting another cannon on the Bis.

11. GregMcFadden

yep, the IRC voted to kick the biz up to 7 units

12. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

hmm. well when I built her she was a class 6 with 6.5 units. That is one option. Another would be to swap one of the other cannons for a 75 rnd cannon and stick with 4 cannons. Or I could give you a break and do nothing. I dont mean to toot my own horn but she is pretty deadly as she sits right now. I dont mind keeping her at 6.5 units, another .5 unit to me is not worth the effort of switching out a cannon or a pump. But if you REALLY want me to well then I must.

13. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

OH!! I got it!! How about taking the 75 rnd gun out and putting in dual sterns? The more I think about it the more that sounds really nice.

14. NickMyers

If it was me, I'd do the dual sterns. I don't think you can make 2 75rnd cannons, but I could be wrong.

Anyways, toot away, but bear in mind your deadliness in those last two sorties was helped significantly by a complete rookie captain running the Suffren making alot of rookie mistakes about showing parts of his hull to you and a lack of any sort of heavyweight opposition. :D

15. NickMyers

The most fearsome ship on the pond:
    [​IMG]
    I think Phill will have alot of fun with this little ship once he gets the power issues sorted out.

16. NickMyers

Kelly's Nagato enjoying some time in the sun
    [​IMG]

17. NickMyers

Sea Trials are about to go from bad to much worse for the Westfalen.
    [​IMG]
    Apologies if this takes a little bit to load....
    [​IMG]

18. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Phill,

I have decided to put another cannon on the Bis. I was wondering what you were charging for those cannons you showed me a couple months ago. I really liked the design of those.

19. Hovey

Hovey Admiral (Supporter)

Thanks Nick for those photos. Andrew agrees with me that the Westfalen sinks very nicely. At least her float works properly.
    Alex, if you have 7 units why not go with duel sidemounts and duel sterns?

20. GregMcFadden

Nice.... is the may battle at coal creek?>