Sunday 24 - Heads Up!!

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Treaty Combat Fleet' started by Bob Pottle, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Guys,
    One of the fill station valves is faulty! I just tired to fill a bottle and the station is venting CO2 freely though the valve that let's the gas into the bottles. More gas is blowing out than going into the bottle.

This is a major drag. Unless Banshee Paint Ball is open today, which I doubt, we can't fill any bottles, and only the small ships equipped with CO2 capsules will be able to battle (Erebus - if done, Abiel, Black Prince). We can still get together and have some fun running the ships, and can do speed and pump tests.

Suggest we have a battle on Sept. 14 and another on the 26th. By the 14th I hope to have a fill station to share with the club.

Sorry guys! This points out the need for us to have our own club equipment.

Bob

2. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

Well, I guess thats that. Too far to drive just for a fun run so I guess Abdiel will be patrolling the Annapolis Valley again today. I'll try and get her right on speed as she's pretty much pumping the correct amount.

Let me know about the fill station, I would like one. Maybe they'll give us a discount if we buy 2-3.

3. Bob Pottle

Scott,
    Don't give up yet!

I called Ralph. He has a large CO2 bottle from his Yamato that's partly full- only been used a few times for cannon testing. It may fit the NJ.

I had 2 partly filled bottles (4 oz and 7 oz) in storage for gun testing. They were used to fire under 30 rds yesterday so may get the VdT and Konig through a sortie.

Also, I tried the valve again and this time got a 3.5 oz bottle almost filled before it started leaking again. Even if we have to empty the tank I think we can get enough gas out of it for the battle - half could end up in the atmosphere instead of the bottles. It will only cost $35 to fill completely so whatever $$ we don't collect today I'll cover.

Bob

4. Bob Pottle

Whatever the valve problem was it disappeared at lakeside and we were able to get the 3 x 3.5 oz and 2 x 7 oz fills we needed.

John Coffill and Steve Hill said beforehand not to bother refilling the tank (it's good for 80 x 3.5 oz fills and we only used the equivalent of 9). John said that will leave enough for the NABS NB event where there will also be a large CO2 tank (Chris Osborne's).

I forgot to collect $5 from the 3 people who used CO2 but were not paid NABS members. I'll give $15 to Steve when I return the tank, which is will cover nearly half of a complete fill ($35).

Bob

5. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

some time thay freeze up and will leak. then its all good

6. Bob Pottle

EJ, I think that's what happened.

Bob

7. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

Well Abdiel went out for a run yesterday,she had lost her gun/pump servo earlier in the morning. I should have checked back on here,as after I wrote that message I assumed the battle was not happening so just went locally.

8. Bob Pottle

Scott,
    Too bad the Abdiel wasn't able to battle. Will you be available on the weekend of Sept. 13-14? That was mentioned as a potential date for our next weekend battle.

The locals in HRM will be having a few after-work battles through Sept., starting in the first week - most of us can be at Graham's Grove by 1800h. Dates to be set after Labour Day.

After talking to Jason and his dad there don't seem to be any suitable sites in the Valley area, though a large farm pond would be suitable if one can be found. They're common in some rural areas.

For now we'll continue to use the Grove site, but will need to buoy a few large rocks that caused problems due to the NJ's deep draft.

Black Prince will have the faulty rudder servo replaced tonight and Minotaur's jammed bow cannon will get a new magazine (if necessary) later this week. Both ships need to reduce speed further, as do Gorgon and HMCS Prince Robert.

I'll pick up Steve Hill's HMCS Ontario when I return the fill station and will convert it to Treaty specs ASAP. I hope to have it ready for the next weekend battle. If everyone is able to attend we'll have 7 ships in action.

Tom will have left for university by then. If you have the Abdiel working by this weekend and Tom completes the HMS Erebus, he'll be looking for an opponent. Ralph will be available with Black Prince on loan. All three ships use CO2 capsules so no fill station is required.

Bob

9. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

Hi Bob,

Ordered a new micro servo for Abdiel this morning. I am available pretty much whenever.The return date to the Venture Sea is not set in stone,Just sometime after the 16th. Russia has a lot of work visa rules and the ships usually just operate with 2 crews,however due to Russian policies they are having to juggle everything around, still awaiting a firm date to fly out.

10. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

Little Rock is getting close as well,started installing the internals today,and also have to start on the superstructure(which I hate doing)

11. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

I'll post some pics tonight of Little Rock, and a few interesting ones I have from my time so far on the Venture Sea.

12. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

Have you ever tried making the Supstr. out of sentra (cintra?) don't know the actual spelling. It isn't as detailed up close, but it looks very good on the water and it is BB resistant (I didn't say BB proof due to Murphy' s Law).
    With a good set of plans you can do one up in a (full) day, depending on the size of course. I did ISE's final forward SS in 9 hours. That is tracing, cutting, sanding and glueing it together.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It just needs a bit of a final sand, paint and a couple of secondary mounts and it's done.
    J

13. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Good job.

14. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

I haven't really decided what to make it out of. Abdiel's superstructure is a mix of balsa block and styrene,the styrene is bb proof,although does leaves ding marks(could go with thicker styrene)and the balsa block is just painted. The ship is so tippy that I wanted as light as I could get,even if it means rebuilding the SS from time to time(lucky it's pretty simple)

Now Little Rock on the other hand has quite a mass of superstructure and being a cruiser will tend to roll a bit so I need to keep it as light as possible. I was thinking of foam(like swampy used to make his SS kit's out of)but can't seem to locate any around here.

Where can I purchase some of that cintra?(sp?)

15. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Great Job JAY! How heavy is it?

16. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

Looking good Jay.

17. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate the compliment.

Scott,
    It can be purchased here in Burnside in Dartmouth. The sheets are 4x8 ft and cost around $60. One sheet will do allot of deck, ss etc. so if you can split a sheet with someone the cost obviously with drop.

Curt, it weighs a couple of pounds now, but I plan to hollow a good bit of it out.

To give credit were credit is due, I got the cintra superstructure idea from Steve Hill. On a bulkier ss, you can make a box type structure. Oh yeah, use PVC cement and a couple of clamps, it is set and strong within 30 minutes.
    J

18. Bob Pottle

Nice work Jay. How thick is that Cintra? Can you use styrene cement with it?

Bob

19. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

Thanks Jay, I'll have to buy a sheet and try it out.

20. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

Bob the Cintra most of us use is 1\4 inch thick, it is easy to work with and you only need a couple of tools to do what Jay and Steve have done.