Super Structure Help

Discussion in 'Construction' started by BoomerBoy17, Mar 10, 2009.

1. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Alright, i made a decent foam SS for my cruiser, the Spee, but there is an issue.
    When i painted it with my gray spray paint, it got soggy, and was falling apart in some areas.
    I guess it wasnt closed cell foam. My question is this: Is there a way to salvage this SS?
    I started to make a new one out of 1/8", but am thinking it might be too heavy, so id have to keep it low detail.
    Is there a way to "finnish" it so that it is water-proof? Or would it be worth it to send it to a someone to make a casting out of (Hey Snipe!)?
    Thanks, Will "Boomer" Thibault

2. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

Hey Boomer go to home depot buy a couple of for sale signs and some glue meant for polystyrene cut the sign to fit and glue them on than paint that was how i did the Boston . polystyrene is very light but it doesn't like any solvent base stuff will wilt away before your very eyes. I bet you thought i was going to say place them on your ship and sell it didn't you :cool: good luck oh and use the same stuff to glue it to your deck .

3. BoomerBoy17

Ive got like three of those (an no, im not selling). The thing is, there are parts that are too complex for those signs. It sounds good, but i cant for this one.
    Thanks for the suggestion though. And no, i didnt think you wanted me to sell it. We both know the Boston needs some competition (and maybe a new name, as im a yankee fan) haha.

4. Powder Monkey

:blink:too complex as in how, a curve? if it is a curve than use some shower pan both of these will give you a little more BB protection sing not so much but a little shower pan adds up on our little CA and will make bob like a clorox bottle on the high sea. yo may also use a scrap piece and try some different types of paint on it till you find one that wont burn it however it will look like swiss cheese when I'm I a mean we are done with it :whistling:

5. Powder Monkey

THE FOR SALE SIGN WILL STILL HOLE BUT WITH OUT IT IT CHUNKS

6. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

BLUE FOAM!!!
    I will be doing my next one out of it and gluing showerpan liner to it using FOAM GLUE. This does not melt the foam. Bring guns and try it out this year! (you have to wait until I make it though)

and it will be on a Bis...
    so good luck.

7. Powder Monkey

:eek: I do solemnly swear to put as many wholes strictly for testing purposes in it as humanly possible :woot:

8. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Ahh advanced in the field "materials testing platforms"

I like it:rolleyes:

9. Powder Monkey

:D Any thing for science ;) okay and a chance to shoot your biz :woot:

10. BoomerBoy17

Still trying to salvage my SS, not buy more stuff to make it out of, but thanks anyways guys.

11. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Liner over whatever you got. You'll have plenty of years to make the "show superstructure" You're gonna bump it a thousand times as you work the bugs out of your new ship. I must have redone mine 4-5 times since I've had them.

12. BoomerBoy17

i did some more testing, and it seems water doesnt affect my SS, so i just have to remove a little on the rear piece so that my pump can come up trough it.

13. Powder Monkey

14. BoomerBoy17

i dont understand smiley-speak fred.

15. Powder Monkey

sorry was trying to make it age appropriate here do you understand this will?

What the hell are you talking about we are trying to help you but you don't make sense! are you painting it or spraying it with water ?

16. BoomerBoy17

When i had painted it, it became soggy and was falling apart it some areas. I thus, assumed that water would do the same. Then, i did some testing and it isnt affected by water.
    And yes, the english language does come easily to me.

17. Powder Monkey

Glade to here school did you well any who try Model paint I bet it might work it is meant for plastic . Always try what ever you are going to do to your SS on a scrap Piece first ;)

18. BoomerBoy17

Yup, thanks, i think im going to still make the rear piece out of wood to fit the pump in, as it is small enough to not add significant wieght, and will cover the pump poking up though the deck.

19. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Wait you made a foam super structure and then sprayed it with spray paint and it melted?? hehe I hope you got some pictures!! Thats awesome boomer! hehe ahh dissolving foam with chemicals is fun.... If you want to paint that stuff you have to give it a good coat of something first, like elmers glue but pick something a little more waterproof. It can be done you just have to prep the surface so you arent actually painting the foam but whatever you put on the foam.

20. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

its like gas in a styrofoam cup. water bace paint is ok to use on foam