Superstructure

Discussion in 'Construction' started by BoomerBoy17, Nov 24, 2008.

1. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

I would like to know if i have to make my walls on the decks to scale. IRCWCC rules. Do i have to make the walls go perfectly around the outside of the deck, or can i cur corners to keep it simple? Thanks guys.

2. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

I would think close is good enough. I am not quite sure what walls you are cutting but if the superstructure looks like superstructure, you are in the ballpark. I really wish you had a camera to take some pictures. Your computer is down, I remember you saying. You are on the net so is there a way to get jpgs here? It would really help. Maybe borrow a friend's.

3. BoomerBoy17

Funny you should say that rob, i just figured out how to post them, so im gonna take some after thanksgiving when im at my dad's house and then ill post them. Thanks to MotoPhoto for the advice!

Ok, its just i saw that some cuts were gonna be a real pain, esp. without power tools, and i didnt want to do that, but i think i can get it close. Thanks.

4. MotoPhoto

MotoPhoto Member

So how did the superstructure job go, Boomer? Ever figure out a way to keep it simple?

5. BoomerBoy17

It has taken the back seat to the important stuff. I want to have the boat done for NATs, but it is more likely to be done for Rob's battles in the fall, even if without SS. Oh Rob, I might be able to go on Thursday and Friday of NATS, so i would need a loaner ship, I'd like one from someone I know, if you know what I mean. Ill email you later when I have more details.

6. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

I'll pack a spare set of gears! :p

7. BoomerBoy17

Hey, I didnt say my dad would be driving the boat. Although Ill remember that day more for his new nickname, Sir Ramsalot. The Arizona would be awesome to drive around in NATS,if you'd let me, It would help me learn how to patch and sheet.

8. BoomerBoy17

Hey, how does the insulation sheathing sound for SS work, along with my already cut out decks?
    take a look:
    http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100320351&N=10000003+90010+527397

9. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Here's pictures of mine done with the blue foam board. The one has a shot of my glueing rubber to the outside of it. I would try shower pan liner next time as it is lighter.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. BoomerBoy17

Thanks Rob, but Im just asking if you think the sheathing will be appropriate. I think It'll go fast for me then building the walls out of wood.
    Unless you have some of that foam that is, and would ship it out to me.

11. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

I took a better look at your picture. It would seem cheaper and lighter to build yours out of just the foam and not the board. If you don't do SS that light, that little boat will tip over. I think A 4x4 square of 2in foam board is about $8. If not try the sheathing. Or both...

12. BoomerBoy17

So, you saying to just use the foam? and nothing else structurally?
    I guess that's fine, but it means i wasted liked 2 hours cutting out what will now be templates.
    Does the foam i showed the link for ok you think? Thanks

13. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Does the foam i showed the link for ok you think? Thanks

Hey, you know that's not english right?
    Carve the foam, get the foam glue in a caulk tube (in the calking section,is blue inside the tube) cover with showerpan liner, repeat, rinse :D

14. BoomerBoy17

Its not? Next time, Ill ask in Spanish for you.
    Do you think gorilla glue will work? Ive used it before and liked it, but not on foam.

15. squires

squires Member

ive seen a lot of people use lino or thin rubber strapping to protect the super structure the strapping seems to be the easiest as you can buy fairly thin strips and there is no cutting involved as long as you pre plan the superstructure heights.

16. BoomerBoy17

I found some fairly light, very strong plastic to use for protecting the lower level of my SS. You know the lids for those large plastic tubs? Well, i have a loose one here at home, and am going to cut it up to use as "termite" armor if you will.

17. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

That will work. I still say use the foam glue. Gorilla will work but is more expensive and tends to expand as it cures leaving things a bit different than you started.

18. BoomerBoy17

I just bought some Gorilla glue, and found a better armor substitute at Homeless Cheapo. Also, i decided against insulation sheathing as my SS, and am going to pick up some hobby styrofoam from a nearby place, and use that instead.

19. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Alrighty then, I look forward to seeing it soon... and that will involve....

PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cool:

20. BoomerBoy17

I know, itll probably get done over February vacation, so a couple of weeks, then i just have to get my step mom to release the photos. But yes, when available. Also, i will be ordering my deck, and some 1/32nd balsa from National Balsa, along with a few parts from BC (torpedoes, 2ndary guns, AA guns and some silkspan)