Swastika: Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'General' started by Scharnhorst56, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Scharnhorst56

Scharnhorst56 Active Member

In the next few years I will build a DKM Scharnhorst (big gun), and even though I won't get to this for 2 to 3 years, I was wondering if it is 'appropriate' to put a swastika on my battleship. Thanks!

2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

That is a question really up to individual battlers. Some people are pretty touchy about it, but if the actual ship had them, a lot of folk think its reasonable that the model should too. Ultimately its up to you what you feel comfortable with.

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

If it was on the original ship, I personally have no problem with it as you are representing a historical object. This does not make you a Nazi or a sympathizer. Some people (mostly people outside the hobby) have varying opinions on this. I know one fine man who tapes over the swastikas on his Bismarck because his wife does not really approve. Doesn't make him less of a battler, to my way of thinking. Pissing off the wife when you can avoid it is never good. So go with what you want to do either way.

NickMyers and Lou like this.
  4. bgt0990

bgt0990 Active Member

Not a good idea if you live down the street from the Jewish Center like Carl does. The JDL can come knocking on your door. Kept him in Italian boats for years.

5. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

Well the neighbour was very religious and he and his wife had tattoos on their left arm from the camps, so in deference to their war experience I didn't build any WW2 German. Kind of puts new light on your hobby and what could offend.

I have a WW2 German on the blocks and when she is finished she will have her "badges" removable with magnetic photo sheets. The neighbor has since moved away.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
    Tugboat and NickMyers like this.
  6. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

It really depends on where you live. I have seen lots of them on ships.
    I have seen the red flag with white circle, but no "cross".
    I heard once a guy pointed out that the flag on someone's Bismark was not very PC, then walked over to their USS Alabama that had a big Confederate flag on it...

ProfessorChaos and Scharnhorst56 like this.
  7. Scharnhorst56

Thanks for the responses! I don't think there are any Jewish families who live in my neighborhood. Even if there were, it's not like they would jump my fence and kick down the doors to the shed and search for Radio Controlled Nazi warship!

8. Rob Wood

Rob Wood NAMBA Rep

I wrestled with this for years, since I build Kriegsmarine ships, and I also happen to be Jewish. My conclusion: From a scale model perspective, you can't rewrite history. If the ship had a swastika painted on it during the moment in time you're depicting, then include it. The thing is, you can always choose to depict a moment when it wasn't sporting swastikas, such as when Bismarck got far enough away from Luftwaffe air cover to make the swastikas painted on the decks a liability.

9. Wmemlo

Wmemlo Member

I've done three ww2 German ships, the scharnhorst, blucher (hipper class) and the Bismarck (under construction). All three have or will have the swastika, because the real ones did. The nazis built beautiful ships, which is one of the main reasons I like them (the ships, not the nasty idiots that built them) I've put tape over the deck when I had the scharnhorst in the back of my truck, just to avoid upsetting someone at a gas station or restaurant on the way to a battle. You should do whatever you prefer, I don't think anyone's going to give you heck either way.

Scharnhorst56 and Tugboat like this.
  10. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I have had them on my Bismarck for 23 years. What I learned. You can never predict how people will react to it. Most don't even give it a second thought. Some recognize it as part of the model Historical aspects. Others will glare at you or hush their kids away from your boat covering their child's eyes. Some kids will say "Hey!, That's a Nazi Boat"! Others will be offended and tell you what happened to their great great grandparents in the First World War. Others will lash out and try to step on the swastika on your boat. It never stopped me from having it on the model. I have had Bismarck in the media with it and in display in over 20 shows. I still have it on the model to this day.

Wmemlo likes this.
  11. Scharnhorst56

Thanks for the response! I am a history buff, so I am all for historical accuracy!

Anachronus likes this.
  12. PrepmasterNick

PrepmasterNick Active Member

This has been my experience with offensive ideas before I even tried this hobby. I'm all for removable hardware to please the masses.

CURT likes this.
  13. Scharnhorst56

Wmemlo is right. Nazis were nasty idiots!;)

14. GeekSpeed

GeekSpeed Active Member

If I ever do a WWII German boat, I will not have them. I personally don't care if other people do, and I agree that this is a model of a historical vessel. HOWEVER, I don't want to take the chance that some moron will take major offense and cause all kinds of headaches for me. I view this as the kind of thing that can be so easily blown into a big problem that I just don't want to take the chance. Keep in mind that if an employer caught wind of you displaying a swastika on your combat model, they could use that as grounds to show you the door. That kind of reaction is crazy and stupid, but we live in a time where the crazy and stupid usually get their way.

15. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

My thoughts on the subject is that before anything else, our models are toys and will be seen as such by impressionable young minds. A swastika in a museum or history book is one thing, but one on a toy boat (no matter how detailed) is another.

PrepmasterNick likes this.
  16. WillCover

WillCover -->> C T D <<--

...Amen to that! I work for a national company that promote "political and social views different from my own, so my "freedom of speech" is curtailed online,Facebook etc, you have freedom of speech but not freedom from repercussions!

17. Scharnhorst56

Thanks, guys!

18. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

I'm not. Im doing the German flag.. But that cause my dad and I are part German.
    Nikki

19. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Which german flag on which ship?

20. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member