T-103 transport hull

Discussion in 'Construction' started by eljefe, Aug 15, 2009.

1. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

Before the RC Artwerks site disappeared, it included a Japanese T-103 transport hull in development. Did this hull ever go into production?
    And does anyone know the length, beam, displacement of the T-103? It's hard to find much information about this class of vessels on the web.

2. Ragresen

Ragresen Member

I am not sure what the status is on the Artworks T-103. It is a smaller landing craft from what I understand and may be a bit too small out there. the Axis needs an equivalent to the allies LST.

3. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Some one had one at MWC Nats this year. Small like the LST.

4. Ragresen

Ragresen Member

Smaller than the LST if it is the one I am thinking. Need a bit more size to them. I think it would be neat to make a schnellboot S-100

5. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

I'm not sure I want one, but I'm interested in length, beam, displacement for comparison to some other ships.

6. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Ragresen, I've got a 1/72 Schnellboote, RC'd and sailing around. I wouldn't want to arm one in 1/144 scale...

7. Ragresen

Ragresen Member

Kotori if I made one it would be a Convoy type ship. Sort of like a few have done with PT boats for Campaigns in the past. Way to small for Arming up in 1/144 scale. Hell going to be tight just getting in all needed to run it just as a convoy type ship.

8. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

T-103 is plenty big enough to build as a convoy; It is just big enough to be in the same size class as LSTs are under MWC rules. George Goff has the plans, although they are approximately 33% too small and must be resized. The lengths and such on the plans are fine as written, but the actual drawings are not to 1/144 scale. I don't know that he's fixed it, but it's easy to fix if you buy them.

9. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

Since you've stopped by, Tugboat, can you answer my original questions?

Specifically, what is the length, beam, and displacement of the T-103 (actual dimensions and not model scale)?

10. Tugboat

I'll let you know this afternoon, I don't remember exact dimensions off the top of my head. Roughly, the model is 20" to 22" long, 2.5" wide, and about that tall amidships. taller at the bow, and at the superstructure. Real dimensions to follow.

11. wrenow

wrenow RIP

Did you ever finish the plug and go into production? Are they still available?

Cheers,

12. Ralf1958

Ralf1958 New Member

Maybe this is what you are looking for:

Army SS.1 type

length: 63,02 m
    width: 9,60 m
    displacement: 948 t
    draught: 3 m
    loading capacity: 630 t or 170 soldiers and 4 type 97 medium tanks Chi-Ha and 1 truck
    engine: 2 X diesel, 550 -600 hp each
    maximum speed: 13,5 kts
    armament (IJA): 1 X Type 88 75 mm aa-gun, 1 X type 98 20 mm aa-gun, 4 X type 97 150 mm mortar, 4 X type 92 7,7 mm MG

The bow door had additional armour. Four type 97 150 mm mortars were mounted on the bow above the bow door for heavy close-range fire support. The machine guns were mobile. Mortars and machine guns could be transported ashore. Later during the war additionally several depth charges were loaded, too.

23 ships were built for IJA, few more for IJN. 4 more were laid down but destroyed or broken up before launch. 9 survived the war more or less damaged. Some were used for repatriation service and all were converted to small merchant vessels in 1946.

13. Tugboat

Wrenow, someone was just pestering me about that plug the other day. Are you psychic?

14. Nate G

Nate G Well-Known Member

You got me thinking. I built a T-103 from Goff's plans about 6 years ago and ran it at several events including one Nats. I pulled the plans, the ship , and did a little more research. Conway's p 214 is quoted as showing her at 236' long at the keel and 246' WL and OAL. Jentschura, Jung, and Mickel in their "Warships of the Imperial Japanese Navy to 1945", lists the T-103 and her series as 264 feet x 29 feet. All show draft at 9 - 10 feet. My Goff plans make her 22" x 2.5" which fits.

15. Tugboat

My goff plans were far out of scale. Had it being like a foot and a half. I did the research, and had my blueprint shop scale the plans for me.

16. luscombesilvaire

luscombesilvaire New Member

17. Tugboat

Buenos días :) He leido el sitio de la Flota Cruz del Sur muchas veces; Hay muchos buques bonitos allí :)

18. luscombesilvaire

luscombesilvaire New Member

Thanks tugboat. There are a lot of ships in construction. Where are you from?

19. Tugboat

I live in Georgia, in the southeast US. But given my love of both rc naval combat and the spanish language, your site is a fun one to read :)