Takao class cruisers

Discussion in 'Washington Treaty Combat' started by crzyhawk, Jun 11, 2008.

1. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

I imagine that's probably what happened in the Takao's case....someone just mixed up the type of tons. I remember when we were talking about the Dutch Class Battlecruiser, the type of tons was the difference between 4.5 and 5.0 units.

2. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

That could cause tons of problems.

3. crzyhawk

Just out of curiousity was pouring over the IJN cruiser data in an attempt to eke out an extra .5 units from Mogami?

4. Gettysburg114th

No, not me, I have enough units. ;)

5. Gettysburg114th

Looks like Takao in Treaty is 3 units.

6. crzyhawk

For those who absolutely need a 3.5 unit IJN cruiser we allow any ship which was actually ordered by a government, so Ibuki is in on a Suzuya hull at 35 knots and 3.5 units I'm pretty sure. I'll have to check the cruiser book tomorrow when I get to work.

The only deal is...you only get one rudder on Ibuki, not twins like on the Mogamis. Honestly, I think the Ibuki would be a pretty tasty ship to build.

7. Gettysburg114th

Mike, I've wondered why we slow ships down if they were refitted with a bulge but to not give them anything? What i mean by this is, the ship was reffited and in most if not all cases made better. The only thing they get is a slower speed in the 100. I think there could be some changes made there.

8. crzyhawk

I remember we talked about it, and I dont know if anything was decided. My position is that bulged ships get a better length to beam ratio which helps them turn better, and more hull volume which helps them take damage better. If we hand out more units, we kill off any incentive to build the early versions of the ship. After all, why build the WW1 version of the QE when you get have better turning, more hull volume AND get more units?

By doing it the way we do, captains get to choose: 24 knots, or more hull volume and more maneuverability...I think captains get a lot more out of the bulged version then just a slower 100 foot time ;)

9. Gettysburg114th

I guess the what I am looking at is that when a ship is bulged why was it bulged? For better damage control. Better damage control would equal more pumping ability. If a captain wanted that, he or she could build the refitted version, if they wanted the speed they would build the early version. That is unless you wanted to bulge the Kongo and get the added speed and displacement. Good thread going here. :)

10. crzyhawk

Better damage control in my eyes is also more hull volume to provide buoyancy with. I think it would really be unfair to upgrade the 1.25 gpm pump in a bulged QE when a KGV never got an update and thus would never get a better pump. I just dont think the current system we use is broken.

11. Gettysburg114th

That's why we talk about things and throw different things out there. People see things differently and sometimes point out things that someone may have missed or over looked. Part of the fun.

12. Gettysburg114th

Founders we should get together via email to get the change made on the Takao? We need to make it right. I wonder how many more things like Takao are on the ship list?? Crazy, What Fleet(s) did you check? I can't remember. I'll start checking the Japanese Navy.

13. crzyhawk

I did the USN and Dutch navies. I started on the Soviet navy but haven't finished it.

14. Gettysburg114th

Good job Mike, I will do the Japanese and another navy if no one steps up to look at the others. I found one thing in the Japanese Fleet. The Takao is listed as 3.5 units and it should be 3.0 units. :)

15. crzyhawk

I think I might have started the British Navy too. I should have trusted the Allied ships to be "right" and been looking at the Axis ships. Apparently they are as big of cheaters in the ship list as they were in real life!

16. crzyhawk

Yamatoman-

If you're still around on this thread, do you know what the designed speed for Ibuki was as a cruiser? I don't see the data in the Japanese cruiser book, and have seen conflicting numbers on the web. Most sources on the web seem to agree that she was to be ~29 knots as a carrier, but in her cruiser config, I've seen 33-35 knots. Given the same power plant as the Tones, I'd imagine 35 is the better number, but I can't find it in there.

Thanks

17. ProfessorChaos

ProfessorChaos Active Member

Since a ship had to be commissioned to be legal in MWC, Ibuki's not on our shiplist. Of course, we don't have scale speeds either, so I never pay attention.

BTW, if anyone is interested, we are about to update all of the cruiser stats for the Japanese based on the research that Lars and I did this winter. I'm happy to distribute the results.

18. Gettysburg114th

I'd be interested in seeing that. Thanks for your efforts and the efforts of Lars as well.

19. Gettysburg114th

Eric, as far as the ship list, did you do anything with the German Navy?
    Thanks,

20. crzyhawk

Yeah I knew that Ibuki wouldn't be on your ship list. I was just hoping that in your research something might have stuck in your head.