Help! A Wild Bug! Terrible Search Engine?

Discussion in 'Website Issues' started by Beaver, Sep 13, 2016.

?

How is the seach engine?

1. Good

12.5%
  2. Adequate

12.5%
  3. Bad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Don't care, don't use it

12.5%
  5. Complete carp

62.5%
  1. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Anybody else concur with me that the search engine on this site it really bad? For instance, if I search "laser cut big gun cannons" trying to find @Kotori87 's old thread, the page is listed almost near the bottom of the first page even though the whole title is highlighted indicating searched words.
    This tries my patience sometimes when I'm searching for stuff on here. Don't really care to be looking through 4 pages of slightly relative stuff when the page I'm searching for should be at the top.

For the fun of it I made a poll. :)

2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

yup, its carp
    making matters worse, it discounts 3 letter words. if i really need to find something i usually go ask google to search with the site modifer.

there's an Enhanced Search upgrade i could toss 50$ at that is supposed to be significantly better

3. NickMyers

though if you actually run your search with the quotes, since youre matching the phrase, you'd get a solid hit. This time, this instance....

* also order of returned results is presented chronologically

4. Beaver

Really? All that shows up is this thread...:confused:

5. NickMyers

thats because you're searching while looking at this thread. by default the little search drop down decides you only want to search the current subforum, you have to uncheck "Search this forum only"

6. Beaver

Aahhhh I see, says the blind man. :) Now it works. I wouldn't dump $50 on a search upgrade. I'd rather see a FAQ page or something of the sort. :)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  7. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

8. NickMyers

lose options that way

9. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Today's kids, WHAT CRYBABY'S!

Print up a time machine in that fancy printer of yours, go back to 1972, and then find the nearest library. Have the human librarian point you to the "card catalog" and have fun. While you're there, take pencil to paper and write a letter to us in the future (in cursive of course) and tell us again how bad the search engine is. ;)

Beaver and WillCover like this.
  10. Beaver

What do you mean by card catalog???o_Oo_Oo_O One of these ?

11. NickMyers

Many a book have I sought out upon the catalogues of cards. Later in life (highschool) I worked as a page at my local library. Thankfully we were on computer catalogs at that point.

12. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Ohh can we all go back to sending each other tape cassettes too!! That would really be an improvement. Oh wait....

NickMyers likes this.
  13. Beaver

Ok, Steve, you may have made a point. That 1972 was different! This is 2016! :eek: Technology is growing at a crazy rate and some really powerful things can be done on computers. I only stated that the search engine on this site wasn't up to par as far as other sites I've used. I don't think I presented my evidence with a whimper or tear, although I did state it annoyed me from time to time. I even stated that I'd like to see growth in other areas of this great site instead of improving the search engine. For the record, I know what the old card catalogs were, but have never used one. They were before my time. I have however studied the use of them and believe I could find what I was looking for in the event I would need to use a card catalog. I could also write you a letter in cursive if needs be. I am not totally ahead of the past.
    So sir, having refuted the "crybaby" claim and proven myself up to your challenge (except the time machine), I ask your reply.

If you have read this far without shooting off a reply, please understand that this is just a joke and not intended to be taken seriously, though every fact in this reply is true. :)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  14. NickMyers

You may have to wait awhile for his reply. He'll need to get the horse and buggy hitched before he can ride over and slap you with a white glove

15. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

yes it would in many ways, when you type there is no contact when you talk a tape there is. The old ways were better, but old and expensive, like me.

16. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

LOL!

SIR, challenge is accepted! We will meet on the field of honor and settle this in the time honored dueling tradition of remotely activated pneumatic projectile thrower against remotely activated pneumatic projectile thrower!

Beaver likes this.
  17. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

That should be a real sleeper: "Pop pop,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,zoom, zoom,zoom, Pop,Pop, zoom,zoom,zoom,zoom, Pop, Pop,,,,,,,,,,,,30 second moss,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Pop,Pop,pop, zoom zoom zoom. Followed by Oh you really creamed me with two above.

Panzer, Beaver and absolutek like this.
  18. kgaigalas

kgaigalas Well-Known Member

Holy smokes you have just proposed a new name for the club :woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:
    R.A.P.P.T
    I love it o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

19. Beaver

Ok, sir, but it's your funeral. :laugh: I'll take you on whether you drive the Barham or Mogador, doesn't matter. Hah.:woot:

20. NickMyers

oh gods, the hubris of the Suffren captain, long was I afflicted.

Now i have a Derfflinger, and I can take on anything! mahuahahahhahahahahhahahahah