The Ball Bearing torpedoe

Discussion in 'Southeast Attack Squadron' started by pew-pew-pew, Apr 28, 2007.

1. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

Always wondered if toprpedoes were actual Topredoe like ammo, Or if they were 1/4 in ball bearings...

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Well, it depends on the club rules that you're using. MWCI doesn't allow them at all, so it's nothing. Battlestations uses 1/4" x 6" rods (technically "scale length" rods, I'm approximating here). I think the big gun clubs use ball bearings.

3. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

What would be more effective?

4. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Big gun clubs use 1/4" ball bearings. The WWCC is unique, and allows two balls per barrel, but limits torpedoes to three barrels per side.
    The Queens Own (1/72 scale)and Battlestations (1/96 scale) clubs allow 1/4" x scale length rods for torpedoes. The Queen's Own club only allows torpedoes on PT boats, MTBs, and other tiny boats. Frigates and up do not get torpedoes.
    The closest thing to torpedoes that Fast gun clubs allow is a fully automatic "spurt" cannon that fires its whole magazine in one shot. All other cannons fire one round per trigger pull.

As for which is most effective, take a look.

Here's damage from a single Queens Own torpedo:
    Visit this site
    and here's damage from a triple WWCC torpedo cannon:
    Visit this site
    Visit this site
    Other Big Gun torpedoes look just like regular gunfire damage, and I don't know of any photos from spurt cannon damage.

5. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

So how many BBs are in a Spurt gun?

6. Tugboat

go to www.mwci.org and read the rules :) It will clear up a lot of your questions and save me the carpal tunnel problems of retyping them :)

7. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

wait... totpedo cannon?

8. Kotori87

Cannon is the term I use to refer to any CO2-powered, projectile-launching weapon mounted on a model ship. That includes Big Gun torpedoes. Launcher implies that what you're shooting is a real, electric-powered explosive torpedo, and that isn't safe for RC combat.

9. Tugboat

yeah. but if it were a real gas-powered explosive torpedo, that'd be fine. lol

10. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

MMMMMMMMMMM.... Explosions :)

11. Kotori87

it's the explosive part that's unsafe

12. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

Well for sure its unsafe, any explosive items in this game could probably tear a ship in two...

13. Tugboat

Clearly unsafe :) Pew^3, if you read the various rulesets, you will see that in general, they say what you are ALLOWED to use, instead of banning individual items. Like MWCI says that you can only use .177 BBs as weapons, nothing else. I think the big gun rules are similar in laying out what you CAN use. That way when phasers are invented a hundred years from now, no one will think it's okay to use them on their Bismarck :)