The best type of starting ship.

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by AmeteurBuilder, Nov 5, 2019.

1. AmeteurBuilder

AmeteurBuilder Member

I want to know peoples opinions on this. I know we all have our preferences, but what would be a good starting ship for everyone? is there truly an answer, or is everyone different?

2. Nibbles1

Nibbles1 Well-Known Member

If you are going for a smaller ship, Vac-U-Gearing I would say. I have a Vac-U-Fletcher (non-combat) that I am converting into a fastgun ship (the format PPB plays) and it is excellent. Best part... its just a big fat plastic model ship. It also comes with a good amount of stuff for a reasonable price.

Otherwise I don't know that much...

3. Julian Barbera

Julian Barbera Active Member

The best starting ship is anyone you like enough to dedicate your time to. You might want to stay away from super big and complicated ships like an Iowa or a Yamato for your first build, but a smaller cruiser or destroyer is your best bet--simple, and effective. Ask around your area for affordable second-hand ships, its good to have a ship your not as connected to for you to learn on, and yes, sink.

4. AmeteurBuilder

AmeteurBuilder Member

Sinking is as apart of this hobby, as putting them on the water is. yeah, a small cruiser would probably be my best bet.

5. Nibbles1

A cruiser is a good idea. My Kitakami is a nice, simple ship to give me some combat experience so I recommend something like that (Cleveland, Atlanta, Koinsberg, etc.). If you don't want to store a larger ship, a light cruiser is, I think the best. Just make sure that it isn't t0o small, you'll have stability issues.

6. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

The thing to remember is that small ships are a lot more difficult to build and keep weight properly distributed. it is even harder to make them battle well. Frankly, the easiest ship to build will typically be a battlecruiser. If you are cost constrained, you will likely have more fun and success with a bc with one sidemount and pump that you have gotten properly working than a fully armed cruiser. Add rest of the cannons later.

7. Nibbles1

Listen to @GregMcFadden, Julian and I are big gunners, you won't get as much out of us.

8. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Yep! Remember, there are several different formats, and your local club is Fast Gun. Within the Fast Gun format, a lot of new battlers find success with an Invincible or Von Der Tann, or other similar ships. Big and tough enough to rumble with the big boys (they get sidemounts, unlike cruisers), but small enough/simple enough for rookies (three cannons and one pump, only so many ways to mess that up).

9. daisycutter

daisycutter Active Member

In fast gun I would suggest a class 4 with speed.

Panzer likes this.
  10. AmeteurBuilder

AmeteurBuilder Member

whoa, these ships can have side mounts?

11. Panzer

Panzer Iron Dog Shipwerks and CiderHaus

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Here is a link to the IRCWCC rules for FastGun: http://ircwcc.com/main/home/rules/
    Shop: http://battlersconnection.com/
    Ins: http://member.namba.com/index.php?page=home
    If you are serious about getting into the hobby you have an amazing group of Battlers right in your front Yard. @Bob and the other battlers local to you should have a boat around that you can get started with, whether it be "The Bike" or one of the ones Tyler or Bob have for sale. Your first step is to get together with your local group and see what they are doing.
    If you make it over MI way:woot:, you can contact The GLAS Group and we will have a loaner for you to come play toy boats with us.
    Good Luck and hope to see you on the water.
    Craig

12. AmeteurBuilder

AmeteurBuilder Member

I contacted tyler about the SMS derfflinger 2. thanks for your help.