The Big Gun Cannon

Discussion in 'Weapons & Pneumatics' started by Kotori87, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

WWCC is the only Big Gun club that limits the armament. Depending on the tonnage and class, you are allowed various amounts of pumps and primary cannons. You can exchange one primary cannon for two secondary cannons. It is still big gun, and is nothing like the unit system in fast gun.

2. TRich19

TRich19 Member

knowing me the first thing id do is take it apart i know how the cannons work and motors props work i just get confused with micro chips but i do understand what they do

3. TRich19

TRich19 Member

so u dont have to worry id know exactly what i was doing but thats just me i like taking things apart

4. lalimerulez

lalimerulez Member

The Unit System in fastgun is strange. I wish you just arm it like big gun.

5. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Strange enough that on Monday morning, the 27th annual MWC Nationals will be taking place using that system, which it inherited from an even older club. Might be a sign that it's a good system.

6. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

Sorry, I was thrown off by the topic title, "The Big Gun Cannon" & thought that was the format being discussed.

JM

7. lalimerulez

lalimerulez Member

Yea it might be but it seems strange.

8. TRich19

TRich19 Member

john what kind of ship do u have whats its name i would really like to know what ship you armed with that many guns

9. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

You may be confusing me with Mark, who's arming something with 13 turrets. I offered the "$150 rule", that ballparked a 3-turret ship at around $1050.

My operational ships are USS Pittsburgh (CA-72), HMS Nelson, HMS Hood, & USS Indiana (BB-58). All are more-or-less conventional, with only main batteries armed (although HMS Nelson has had a couple of armed secondary configurations added & removed).

JM

10. TRich19

TRich19 Member

ok so mark waht ship did you arm with that many guns if you didnt already tell me

11. Tugboat

Mark is building a Yamato for Battlestations (1/96 scale, arm everything down to 3" guns)

12. Mark

Mark Active Member

I've got 3 cannon down, only ten left to go:) have some people working on that for me at the moment. Tug, the whole 5/16 thing for the main guns, I'm not going to continue with it, one it looks way out of scale and the benefits of the larger caliber don't outweigh the time delay, especially when dealing with the faster boats. Besides those little boats will sink just as surely from a direct hit from a triple 1/4" as they would from the 5/16". make ordering ammo easier too.

13. Tugboat

I agree with you on all of those :) But I thought it was an entertaining idea :)

Today I started building the workbench to house the jigsaw, and the sander & drill press that I just ordered from Harbor Freight. So very soon, the Yammers hammers will be coming....

14. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

Does it look way out of scale? I figured it would be a natural progression.

15. Mark

Mark Active Member

having 1/4" in 1/96 scale is equal to 24" in reality, so you guys who build 1n 1/144 scale should really be sticking to BB's

16. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

0.177" bbs in 1:144 scale up to almost 25.5". That's just a tad larger than what any of the ships modeled actually carried.

0.25" representing 16" scales out to 1:64. Other common ball bearing scale equivalents in 1:64:

7/32" -> 14" (appropriate for many BB, BC)
    3/16" -> 12" (appropriate for Dreadnaughts, too large for CA where they're used now)
    0.177" -> 11" (Scharnhorst, etc.)

Anybody who wants to get nitpicky about the scale of projectiles would also need to include the following:

18" -> 9/32" (for that Yamato/Musashi)
    15" -> 15/64" (very common BB main battery)
    8" -> 1/8" (CA main battery)
    6" -> 3/32" (CL main battery)
    5" -> 5/64" (common secondary battery, DD main)

Note that there's a pattern: Divide the size in inches by 64 & get a value that you're actually likely to find on a ruler! 1:64 is a "magic" scale for working with US units.

JM

17. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I've been looking at Big Gun ships for so long that when I see a regular scale model I think that its too flimsy, and might get blown off at any moment ;)

18. Mark

Mark Active Member

Any more on cannon design/construction? ideas on torpedo systems anyone?

19. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Perhaps a kayak trailer that has a rack for several hulls.

20. squires

squires Member

what are the tools that you need to build a big gun cannon?