The Death Star. A 3D printer newb story.

Discussion in 'Digital Design and Fabrication' started by rcaircraftnut, Feb 20, 2020.

1. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

Having issues with these little zits. The printer makes almost imperceptible pauses leaving these little over extrusions. Seems like it wasn't doing it untill I changed slicers from Cura 14.07 to Cura 3.3 if I can get this issue sorted and then fine tune retraction and extrusion percentage I will be golden.
    15874330755881544533345379393290.jpg
    Otherwise it's doing really good.
    15874331459167672944665422210244.jpg
    I thought linear advance would help but it made no difference at all with the zits. Enable coasting didn't help either. I am ready to start printing my superstructure for the DKM Scharnhorst but not with more zits than a teenage McDonald's employee. Lol. Gotta get this sorted out.

Attached Files:

2. Caractacus Patt

Caractacus Patt Member

I get those zits as well - I'd be really interested in any solution, if someone knows what causes those :bang:

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  3. rcaircraftnut

Are you running a touch screen? I just got word back from a tech on the GitHub. Apperantly with my setup it's a software issue with the print buffer and the screen not playing nice nice. Supposedly the newest Marlin bugfix addresses it. I will let you know as I am about to go download it and see if I can get it compiling shortly.

4. rcaircraftnut

5. rcaircraftnut

Well I tried the update and now I can't print from any of the SD slots at all. And I did uncomment SD support. Not sure where it's messed up now but it ain't cool man. Lol.

6. Caractacus Patt

Caractacus Patt Member

I don't have a touchscreen, but I do run my machine through my computer via Pronterface, so maybe there is a buffering issue... I think I'll run a test print from both Pronterface and an SD card.

7. Julian Barbera

Julian Barbera Active Member

Do you have an Anet a8?
    "Well ya, but it has a metal frame upgraded mainboard, built-in stand/enclosure, 3 power supplies, LEDs. touchscreen, upgraded bearings and junk, a bunch of fans, and some other stuff. Oh, and I'm looking to upgrade the hotend and extruder system."

8. Julian Barbera

And I think your machine is being held back by your extruder and hot end. If you want a direct drive I'd recommend something like this. For a Bowden setup I'd pick up a BMG or E3D titan extruder and an E3D v6 hotend (Real or cloned). If you want to use a glass bed then you need a BL Touch or microswitch setup for bed leveling. If your using metal with tape or thin build surface you can use some other type of sensor.

9. rcaircraftnut

I completely agree. Hotend is on the list. However it's not causing this particular issue. It all started with the software upgrade.

10. rcaircraftnut

Also Julian, while I'm prettyetty sure your just poking fun at me, I did say this was a journey chosen due to cost and other factors. I could have spent a lot of money and had a great machine, but then I would have to depend on others anytime anything went wrong. This way I am learning it and am much better armed to be self sufficient. Plus I'm generally a cheap #$$. Lol.

11. Julian Barbera

I apologize if anything I've said came off as a bit to harsh. I do think that learning something new is worth more than any amount of money.:):p

12. rcaircraftnut

No offense taken and no apologies necessary. I just wanted to be sure we were on the same page. You guys can jerk my chain anytime. Just know it goes both ways, lol.

Julian Barbera likes this.
  13. rcaircraftnut

Now, if only I could get this software sorted out. Man this is torture. It's nasty weather here and I could be working on the Scharnhorst but I need this project done first. Haha. Grrrrrr.

14. rcaircraftnut

I'm really Jonesing to go to a battle.