The infamous Kitikami.

Discussion in 'Australian Battle Group' started by DarrenScott, Mar 6, 2016.

1. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

This image is of the IJN KITIKAMI model, the vessel at the centre of a storm which led to much discord amongst the ranks of the AUSBG. FB_IMG_1457249537474.jpg

Count the torps.....

2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

woza. on both sides?

3. DarrenScott

Yep, both.
    Took out Lusitania with one salvo, then an Iowa with another on its first sortie.
    Then tried to nail Franklin D Roosevelt but the carrier turned on him and spoiled his aim.
    Spotted my HMS Rodney running like hell for the safety of port and zoomed in like a shark, thankfully I turned into his run and raked him causing him to misstime his shot.
    Made port and lifted my boat.

TorpCruiser likes this.
  4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Easy rule: Ships with torpedos can arm them in proportion to their navy's historical hit percentage. Which for the Japanese (best of the war) was around 12%.

5. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

At that point it seems more acceptable to simply remove them from the rules.

@DarrenScott - was this a happening problem this year is AusBG?

6. DarrenScott

Thankfully the drama is in the past, it was the reason for the creation of the now defunct AAMWCC.
    We in the AusBG have enacted rules to govern torps and there will be no more Kitikami dramas.

7. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Extreme example of why replicating scale armement features into what is essentially a broadside game doesn't make much sense IMO.

8. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Just about every Big Gun club has had issues with torpedo-boats at some point. The Kitikami is just one example. As advancing hobby electronics in the 90's made smaller ships a practical option, forward-thinking builders in the SCBG built a heavily armed Kitikami and wreaked havoc for a year. That nearly caused the collapse of the club. The WWCC responded to the Kitikami threat by limiting all ships to 3 torps per side, firing double balls. Even this proved too much, when wolf-pack tactics were first effectively employed in 2006. Ultimately it took removal of the double-ball rule and tactical adaptation to deal with the threat. While a torpedo-boat is no longer a threat to a battleship in the WWCC, wolf-packs are still a deadly danger to any single ship on the water.

Nibbles1 likes this.
  9. DarrenScott

We dont need wolf packs when there are three or more Richelieus on the pond...
    Fast and nasty.

10. Rayne Single

Rayne Single Admiral (Supporter)

the issue was the additional bilge keels that maintained stability that allowed all torps to be fired and the ship not roll over. if these keels weren't given an exception this would never of been a problem as they wouldn't of possibly been able to arm and fire 20 torps a side without going turtle.

11. DarrenScott

Yes there was that too.

12. Rayne Single

its does there were additional issues that went on about this model. to be fair you can only shoot every 30 seconds. yet an iowa with 9 1/4 triples can fire 27 1/4 shots in 24 sec. so in comparison to 20 a side 1/4 in 30 sec. the only thing is the immediate delivery although if your shot is spoiled than you have some real problems because 30 sec on the pond between shots can be a looooong time.

TorpCruiser likes this.
  13. Rayne Single

also these boats keep the hobby interesting. honestly having a handful of allied war wagons sluging it out for 20 min can get pretty boring.

TorpCruiser likes this.
  14. Rayne Single

little update, my tashkent class destroyer which is armed with forward 3/16 twins received 1 twin from a h-39 which saw it head for the bottom. so if your able to shoot well 1 hit will see these destroyers head for port immediately.

15. Rob3869

Rob3869 Member

Wow, that is awesome. So cool to be armed to the teeth! Do you have any videos of you battling or firing? I would love to share them with my son. Rob

TorpCruiser and Evan Fowler like this.
  16. Admiral Where Did He Go?

Admiral Where Did He Go? Member

that's awesome 20 trops on both sides..........utter madness, Japanese torpedo boats for yah I see why they ran for home port...hehehe.....can't stop laughing and think about the captain's face when he/she saw it coming for them next....lol :woot::laugh::laugh::laugh:

TorpCruiser likes this.
  17. gunner250

gunner250 Active Member

I want to see the hits caused from that ship.

18. Rob3869

Rob3869 Member

It is cool to see such a small ship pack such a large punch! Personally, once we get our beast out on the high seas we are going to seek you out and see if we can hang! God bless and have a great day!

TorpCruiser likes this.
  19. Nibbles1

Nibbles1 Well-Known Member

AWWWW... I wish I could do that with my Kitakami...

But that is just op

Also, where can I access the rules... If I want to go to Australia

My sister wants to go to see bearded dragons

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  20. Julian Barbera

Julian Barbera Active Member

These might be helpful: http://www.ausbg.org/Australian_BigGun_Build_Regs_Initial.pdf
    But I don't recommend building a ship for every ruleset.
    Or going to Australia for that matter, but I'm just afraid of creepy crawlies!