The Modelshipsahoy Surcouf

Discussion in 'Research and Development' started by modelshipsahoy, Aug 31, 2018.

1. modelshipsahoy

modelshipsahoy Vendor

E255FEEE-B0C5-420D-96A7-6A7BA8AB31C7.jpeg Modelshipsahoy will be building a 1/144 scale Surcouf this Winter with the following Goals:

-Original configuration radio mast snorkels
    -Snorkels self seal upon Diving
    -Static dive capability
    -Fore and aft ballast tanks to control pitch
    -6” Dive Limit (just submerged conning tower)
    -Foam formed conning tower to keep submerged model upright
    -Flooded model neutral buoyancy at 12-24” down
    -Mechanical Twin 1/2 cannons (no Co2 system)
    -Self sealing muzzles on cannons upon diving
    -1/2 unit Pump for normal leakage

If you have positive thoughts, prayers, encouragement, HELPFUL ideas, a welcoming smile and are generally fun friendly people who believe in free market principles, please feel free to weigh in.

Anyone who wants to tell us ... It can’t be done; ...it’s a waste of time; ....it’s a waste of money; ....it’s been tried before and failed; ....we won’t like it when it’s done; Bla bla bla, Yada yada.... or any of the select members here who have already insulted and threatened us for entering this market ...and tried to drive us out with strong arm tactics, can Furcouf. Please go spread your negativity somewhere else. We will not be bullied.
    (Sad that I actually DO have to say that)

R&D is well underway with keel scheduled to be laid on New Years Day. (While watching Michigan State Win the Rose Bowl) ;-)

88DB56D0-DA3E-48FB-A21D-73140D057CB0.jpeg 6FFD9000-FE9C-4505-AEAD-BE9F8C31E05A.jpeg 70B59F0F-8ACD-49C9-820B-63E4E4685A66.jpeg 8D8E3ED4-AEB4-43CF-B07C-5E99A332128B.jpeg FFE32716-2C29-42CE-A3E9-4F6939A6BA7A.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    indie2002uk and Beaver like this.
  2. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Are you planning to deepen the hull or keep it scale?

3. modelshipsahoy

modelshipsahoy Vendor

We do everything scale with as much detail as we can apply. Our goal is to make our products desirable to the general non combat modelers. This keeps sales strong and does not limit us to this tiny segment of customers.

The non-com version of this model will have optional rotating, elevating water cannons for poolside fun.
    432CCB3C-BB80-4819-A3B9-F9925E5499CC.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    Nibbles1 likes this.
  4. modelshipsahoy

modelshipsahoy Vendor

So thinking about this....might be helpful to deepen hull for combat version....then went to ircwcc and couldn’t find the rule about it. Can you tell me what section that rule is in?

5. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

you really should consider checking out "Another Silly Submarine Thread". there's several guys who have worked on subs that commented in there, and some of the engineering discussions may help you on your way.
    The surcouf would be an excellent model to test the "sled keel/vacu-hull" concept that emerged in that thread. I've got a plan to test the concept at a wayyyyy later date (I have a Battleship in need of a refit, and a Battlecruiser that's under a complete rebuild for next year's NATS)

The Sled concept would allow you to build a single platform, and apply whichever depth hull you'd want.

6. modelshipsahoy

modelshipsahoy Vendor

That’s how I missed the rule... won’t apply to this sub.... no Co2 system.

7. Anvil_x

how so, only a convoy model? if it has guns, the rule applies.

Hey, random thought, are you going to be at Saranac for the October 20-21 battle? if not, might be worth the venture just to BS and look at boats and such for research purposes

8. modelshipsahoy

modelshipsahoy Vendor

Twin Mechanical 1/2 cannons custom built for the boat. No Co2

No go on events this summer. Lots going on here.

9. Anvil_x

you have my attention.

@Kevin P. do you think that II.A.18 could be inclusive of such a weapon system within the definition in its current form?

I'd imagine if mechanical gun systems panned out, it would be prudent to revise the definition eventually, say to "Armed class 2 and lower ships" instead of "Class 2 and lower ships using CO2". But it's cart before horse at present, ya know?

10. modelshipsahoy

modelshipsahoy Vendor

Probably, because the gun will weigh in tight on my budget of 4.5#

I can scale down the gun but will cost on velocity.

11. modelshipsahoy

modelshipsahoy Vendor

In theory I like to keep it scale for the regular model guys. .... but realize I’m stuffing toothpaste back into a tube here.

12. Anvil_x

yeah, do your thing with the mechanical guns and such. If you're in Saranac in October for the battle, I'll be there and Kevin will be there and we can chat about this in person. Kevin's a building and battling machine, so he has a ton of hands-on understanding of the boats. Me, I spend half my time at work running engineering thought experiments (STR Timber marking allows your mind to wander) and have an interesting, if asymmetric, idea that may address your conundrum with the deepened hull.

13. Z Boat

Z Boat Well-Known Member

With enough money it can be done and can you find buyers and make a profit? First what set of rules you are targeting, after that then decide what it is used for first, mine was for anti sub warfare. You should develop each component that you want to put in this boat separately, then try and fit each of these in a very small boat. I built this boat back in the early 90's for big gun and my sub was dynamic diving and there was no room for a ballast system. It had two sets of twin 7/32" x 3/4" single shot torps one fore and one aft, the boat was a success. Todays tech. is much better than then and all of this is possible. Are there rules for subs only in fast gun because what I have seen posted as soon as a sub dives it would be a sink?

14. modelshipsahoy

modelshipsahoy Vendor

No. Sub is only sunk if it cannot surface and return to port after sortie.

15. Anvil_x

I think this is where a good amount of brainwork and application of lessons learned with the Vac-U-Boat Fletchers and Gearings could *potentially* change the current regime. Granted, small destroyers are FAR less complicated and cramped, but a well-designed kit with a tried and tested pre-fab layout could significantly alter the equation from "silly thing you built just to be 'That Guy'" to "meh, this is my backup boat. it's pretty fun when my regular boat's down, and is a hoot to drive in Campaign"

16. bmarkb

bmarkb Active Member

Big Guns rules generally allow an extra 3/8 inch for ships under 10,000 tons displacement. I don't have any special tools or measurements available, but looking at Surcouf's dimensions, an extra 3/8 I ch would probably work out to 24 cubic inches, which is a little over a pound of extra displacement for the model, too.

I would take advantage of any e,tra displacement you could get for a combat Surcouf. There are quite a few folks that are fans of Flynn Guest's semi-scale / stand-off models that the non-combat market might not be too put out .

Jay Jennings likes this.
  17. modelshipsahoy

modelshipsahoy Vendor

Would be ok with me to deepen hull and ramp up the gun velocity, but rules don’t say ok unless Co2 aboard.

18. Z Boat

Z Boat Well-Known Member

My single shot guns are not Co2, they use a bike pump to charge and if you are not using Co2 what are you doing for the ballast system? This is my 1/144 Type IX that is almost done.

gun 3.JPG
    gunsub.JPG

19. modelshipsahoy

modelshipsahoy Vendor

Looks sweet!

Surcouf ballast will be mechanical bellows fore and aft.
    Gun will sit center with barrels coming out of tower properly

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  20. modelshipsahoy

modelshipsahoy Vendor

It’s been a tough week here with -50 degrees wind chills and broken pipes. The shop heat had to help out the house furnace so no orders were processed this week. We’re way behind on the schedule. Surcouf frames got cut while watching the Super Bowl.
    0650036A-9FFB-4633-90D8-4107CE7E1112.jpeg

Lou and indie2002uk like this.