The most famous battleship

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by Kotori87, Apr 24, 2007.

1. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

2. Crispin

Crispin Member

Ok..most Famouse BB...Easy The USS Missouri..I hope I spelled that right

3. TRich19

TRich19 Member

now did the south dakota see any ship on ship action

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Short answer: "Oh hell yeah!"

Long answer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_South_Dakota_%28BB-57%29#First_Tour_in_the_Pacific

5. TRich19

TRich19 Member

good cause if i get a ship i want one that was known as a killer however a battleship is good but a good captain is better proved in the naval battle against the yamato where a destroyer crippled her

6. lalimerulez

lalimerulez Member

thats simple enough.

7. Sneakshot

Sneakshot New Member

most famous battleship hats off the arizona has that but dont forget the maine!

8. admiraljkb

admiraljkb Member

Space Battleship Yamato/Star Blazers is how I got into Naval History, and eventually this hobby.

9. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Hehe... I'm taking a basic Japanese course, and the teacher has a Japanese assistant about my age. I mentioned that I like to watch anime, so he asked which ones. I replied "Everything from Uchuu Senkan Yamato to more modern shows like..." but he collapsed laughing before I could finish. It's well known, even among today's youth.

10. rowboat captain

rowboat captain Member

Got to vote for the Bismark

11. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Bismark and Tirpitz were much feared, and would have kicked ass at Jutland. Handsome ships too, but for my money the real looker in the Kriegsmarine was the Prinz Eugen.

12. donanton

donanton Member

It's odd that even though the USS New Jersey is the most decorated warship in US history, if you mention it you'll probably have to explain why its important at all.

Stupid kids and their nuclear powered aircraft carriers.

13. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Hands down the Bismarck for most famous. People who watch the battles always seem to ask, "Is that the Bismarck?" Which other warship has a song written about her? A movie?

Honorable mention for fame: Hood, Yamato

Arizona and Missouri can't come close for fame to the average joe off the street (especially outside the US), and neither of them performed diddly squat in the war imo. Arizona's name is more likely to be recognized then the Missouri is though.

As for the best? My money is on an Iowa. If I had to go to war and ride on one as it fought another 1v1, Iowa is the one I'd pick. Say what you will about Yamato, blah blah blah, the bottom line is the 18.1" shells performed terribly, and they weren't known for being the gunnery champs of the IJN. I'll take the safe bet, and put my money on the 2,700 pound superheavy shell delievered from what most naval experts recognize as possibly the best heavy naval gun of all time (the USN 16" 50 cal) over the 3,200 pound 18.1 inch shell known to be unreliable fired from a ship which never even really came close to hitting anything. Iowa will probably hit first, and keep hitting. Yamato will probably never hit Iowa, and that makes it hard to win. Even if they do hit, the chances are good that they shell won't work!

Honorable mention for best:
    Yamato, South Dakota, North Carolina, Vanguard

As for the most colorful? As much as I hate to say it, more props to the Bismarck (I am NOT a Bismarck fan. It's also tops in the "overrated" category). She sank the most powerful battlecruiser in the world, and insipred a huge chase. I don't think you can top that for colorful.

Honorable mention:

Hood, Warspite, Washington, Yamashiro (come on, a lone BB charging the US battleline? It was like a samurai charge, she deserves the props)

Worst combat performance:

South Dakota aka Kirishima's punching bag.

And as for combat records? If I were a warship, I'd want the USS Enterprise (CV-6)'s record. Say what you will about the Jersey racking up battlestars in Vietnam and Korea doing fire support, the Big E went in harm's way, kicked tail and took names. 20 of 22 major battlestars possible for WW2, the only USN carrier to qualify for a Pearl Harbor battlestar, every carrier engagement except Coral Sea, 911 aircraft destroyed, 71 ships sunk, 192 more damaged or destroyed. Read it and weep New Jersey.

Mike D

14. cosworth

cosworth Member

I am not bias at all but I do like the cosmetics of the german battleships but when it comes to true grit BB55 and BB56 get my choice.After Pearl Harbour the first major warship to enter the harbour was North Carolina much to the cheers of every one ashore

15. crzyhawk

Enterprise entered the harbor on 7 December to refuel. I doubt the Showboat beat her in, and I'd definately qualify a fleet carrier as a major warship ;)

16. Renodemona

Renodemona Well-Known Member

The most famous battleship? Dreadnought! She lends her name to an entire generation of capital ships (two if you count super-dreadnoughts) and moved naval warfare from an age of shot and pistol tactics to one of thousands of yards rangefinding. Sure she missed Jutland and by that time was a second rate warship, but without Fisher's expensive gamble we might be calling all those ships Settsus or Nassaus. ;)

The toughest fighting battleship I have to give to Malaya. Not the most famous of names, but she took a pounding at Jutland when trapped between the then almost undamaged High Seas Fleet Scouting Squadron and Scheer's leading battle division. Add to that an order to turn in succession and you've got a recipe for damage.

Most colorful is my favorite reason to look at a ship! I love my Fuso because its a wierd boat. Total mix of design features, it straddles the line between dreadnought and 3rd generation battleship. Equipped with excellent naval rifles, but poor secondaries she was a good shooting boat. Her armor was poorly distributed but she had some of the best underwater protection of any ship in her generation. Plus the Pagoda, and you got to say she's got flair!

17. cosworth

cosworth Member

the enterprise may have been in before the showboat but I was refering to battleships npt aircraft carriers, and the North Carolina was the most decorated battleship in WW2 with 15 battle stars.

18. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Yamato is pretty popular and I noticed it's getting even more widespread notice as more books are being written about it.There's a couple of movies and a few documentaries. Plus it has been dived on several times. On Ebay there is a plethora of excellent books on the ship though in Japanese these books are showing detail of the interior never seen before such as how the planes were stored beneath the flight deck and the boat stowage, the layout of the conning tower and other goodies. Just beautiful CG images.
    It gets one of my votes as being one of the toughest ships to take a pounding before going under.

19. darkapollo

darkapollo Well-Known Member

I DO believe there is a movie that takes place aboard the Mighty Mo, let alone her stern being the place where Japan signed out of the war..
    [​IMG]

Average Joe american wont know which class that boat belongs in, but anyone who has been through 7th grade history will at least know the name.

20. crzyhawk

Actually, the treaty was signed up forward. I got to visit the ship often when I was a kid growing up in Bremerton WA, where she was in Mothballs and partially open to the public.

That movie wasn't about a battleship though, and it was actually filmed on the Alabama. Bottom line is, people go to battles and ask "Is that the Bismarck?" rather then "Is that the Missouri?"

Hands down, Bismarck is the most famous battleship ever, as overrated as she may be.