The most famous battleship

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by Kotori87, Apr 24, 2007.

1. darkapollo

darkapollo Well-Known Member

I agree completely. I just got a friend semi-interested in this hobby as well and he is looking to build a bismark. When I mentioned the Tirpitz he was like 'what ship is that?' heh, I guess to some the german navy had 1 battle ship and a whole bunch of U-Boats o_O

2. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

You wouldn't believe how the Bismarck uber alles fan club has really turned me off to that ship. If I ever build WW2 German, it's going to be the Admiral Hipper, Leipzig, or Scharnhorst. I lean heavily towards the Hipper. That being said, I'd probably build Japanese first, the Tone is really calling to me (I like Mogami better, but they are so popular...). Hiei would be a nice addition too.

Ahhh, so many ships, only so much space!

3. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

The Hippers are some of the best looking ships of WW2.

4. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

[:)]Actually I found this recently. In that movie they filmed the ship but the onboard scenes were on the BAMA. The stern scene were Seagal is overhanging and the guys streaming down from the Conning towere were the BAMA. Fooled me for sure but that's movie magic. [8D]

5. clavier35

clavier35 New Member

For Frogs and most europeans the most famous BB is the Missouri because of her role in Japan surrender and for sure for the movie
    After comes the Bismark for the name ,the end under the shower of shells , the film ...(the country song I have discover on the late is great, but unknown on the continent !)

6. rowboat captain

rowboat captain Member

the military just did a show on the top ten list of battleships. i will have try to find the list. they judged then on serveral different catagories. fear factor, fire power, innovation, protection, service life.

10. HMS Hood class BB
    09. Deutschland class pocket Battleship
    08. Essex class CV
    07. Bismarck class BB
    06. North Carolina class BB
    05. Fletcher class DD
    04. Ticonderoga class CG
    03. Queen Elizabeth class BB
    02. Nimitz class CVN
    01. Iowa class BB

7. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

A few days ago I asked my Japanese sensei "Yamato to USS Missouri to dochira no hou ga tsuyoi desu ka?" (Which is stronger, Yamato or Missouri). She said that Missouri must stronger because Yamato had been sunk. Since most of the class somewhat recognized the two ships, I take that as evidence that both are pretty famous, even today.

8. Ragresen

Ragresen Member

My mere two cents on this is of all the ships listed the ship I can say was first on the radar for me by name is Yamato. She is a name that holds a reverence in japan to the point of being a feature ship in Anime and has even a good mention or did in history books that covered the pacific war.
    The next ship I think of is Bismark. Bismark was a ship I did a history report on in the 6th grade.
    And then believe it or not I actually think of USS Yorktown before I think of any other.

Really until about 6 years ago Mighty Mo was just another ship in history to me. Nothing special till I really started looking into why it was a high produced model.

9. crzyhawk

I agree with you on the Yorktown (CV-5). As someone who is interested in naval history, the performance of the Yorktown was simply spectacular. Her crew and airgroup were doing things that nobody else in the world was doing.

Among these things were the purging of fuel lines with CO2 prior to battle (field mods retrofitted to other USN CVs post Midway), and the "running rendezvous" for her airgroup. SOP was to launch the small, light fighters first, then the dive bombers, and last the slow torpedo bombers to allow them a longer deck run. The airgroups would orbit the ship (burning fuel) until the whole airgroup was assembled, then attack in coordinated fashion.

Yorktown personnel however, launched the torpedo bombers first, and sent them in the direction of the enemy, then dive bombers, and figheters last. This allowed the faster SBDs and F4Fs to catch up to the slower TBDs without wasting time and fuel orbiting, and still have a coordinated attack. Nobody else in the world was doing this to the best of my knowledge. Certainly the Enterprise and Hornet did not operate in this manner.

Add the innovation of her men, to the will shown to turn her around after being damaged at Coral Sea, knocked dead in the water at Midway, then restarted and up to 17 knots for the second attack by Hiryu, and STILL needing to be finished off by a submarine is one of the finest single ship performances in battle of all time.

Yes, I am a Yorktown fan.

10. Ragresen

Ragresen Member

Yorktown holds a place in my heart. It was the first of any warship I ever set foot on. Yes not original Yorktown but one of her later named incarnations. But still all the things I got to see and learn out at Patriots Point in Charleston SC is what makes her famous to me. Yes Enterprise made it through the war while Yorktown did not, but that does not make Yorktown anyless. In truth I am sure there are reasons a lot of us recall ships.

USS Des Moines is special to me as it is a ship my GrandFather served on. I build my first ship for MWC off of that alone.

11. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

Last month, I asked this same question in the office.
    There were only three folks there at the time, ages 36, 38, and over 60.
    Only one person could name a single Battleship!
    (A retired military person over the age of 60)
    I asked my teenaged daughter and her boyfriend this same question (Ages 19 and 20), they could not name a single ship.
    My dear wife how ever called out "Remember the Maine!
    I fear that Battle ship are fading away into history.
    Which is one reaason that I feel that it is important that when ever we sail in an area where there may be specators, to have placards telling the history of the ships we are sailing.

12. U571

U571 Member

DKM Bismark
    IJN Yamato

13. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

Thank God this is an old dead thread. C.S.S Arkansas of course.

14. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

CSS Arkansas? What kind of baloney are you feeding these people? Without a doubt, the most famous battleship is that first log-boat that one caveman jumped from into that other caveman's logboat, and pushed him overboard. Or was it just a log? Hmmm...

15. klibben

klibben Member

SS Minnow!

Actually, I did a report in high school about Gilligan's Island and I forget the exact statistics of a study I found but something like 2/3 more people could sing the entire theme song of Gilligan's Island than name one of their senators.

16. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

Christ I thought no one read these old threads. Sorry. I was in error.

17. crzyhawk

When you post on the old threads, it moves it up to the top so everyone sees there is new information there.

18. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

From what I recall seeing, & it's admittedly been awhile, this vessel was improperly designated. "SS" should indicate a steam-powered craft (i.e. "steamship"); the correct designation for what I recall seeing in the series & movies would be a "motor vessel", or "MV Minnow".

It may seem anal to split hairs like this. Main differences would probably involve crew qualifications, to operate various plants & equipment. However, it may have an affect on the planning & execution of a search or rescue. If local SAR personnel were looking for a steam-powered ship, while they should have been looking for a motor-powered boat , that could partly explain why the castaways were marooned as long as they were.

JM

19. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

What is the name of this famous log boat?

20. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

the SS Wet-log: displacing 1000 lbs
    2 units
    2 rotating cavemen
    no pump
    lots of unecessary roll.
    Thats it, the SS Wet-log