The most famous battleship

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by Kotori87, Apr 24, 2007.

1. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

Funny the Monitor gets no reconition. Ericson made the propeller in 1848. Rotating gun turret. Most important of all. The Monitor had the first flush toilet invented and installed. Did not have to drop one's drawers and go off the poop deck.[xx(]

2. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Most civil war ships are kind of niche in the interest department. Your average joes are more likely to have interest in WW2 then any other simply due to it's proximity in time, and access to still living participants, although those dwindle daily.

3. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

I know but,I always thought this would be a better time period for R/C combat.Vessels fought in close. It would be legal to ram. Ball bearings represent the ammo more so historical than what we have in WW1 and WW2 vessels. Flat trajectory fire except for the mortar barges. The biggest arguement about this period. The vessels are ugly. Only in thye eye of the beholder I guess.

4. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

For the American Civil War period, We would have to go with 1/48 scale!
    Just think of the detail!!!

5. Knight4hire

The CSS Virginia would be five feet, eight and three quarters inches long and the Monitor would only be fourty three inches long.

6. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

Here I go again. Opened a can of worms again. Let me open another thread and we can talk about it there Agreed.

7. Knight4hire

Yes, Dan, I find that the American Civil War is a very fascinating period. It changed the warfare forever. From wooden ship sailing ship to steam power, iron clad ships with turrets. From single shot muskets to machine guns. Air power played a part and so did submarines. It set the stage for trench warfare that last through World War 1.

The largest US Sailing warship during the American civil war was the USS Pennsylvania, a 3241-ton (burden) 120-gun ship of the line, 210 feet long. She was the largest sailing ship ever built for the US Navy! The Largest warship in the US Navy at the time was the USS Niagara. (A steam Frigate) She was only 328’ 10” long.

Hey, those would have been some good questions for the trivia thread!

I captain a Mogador, she is over 575 feet long and it is too small to arm everything.
    That is why I say civil war ships would have to be built to 1:48 scale.

8. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

I am in total agreement about the scale. Check out the Civil War thread I opened.

9. Knight4hire

At the office, I have casually asked folks to name a battleship....and it seems like only folks over the age of 50 can name a battleship!

(I work in a DOD office, with so many military folks around I was expecting better results! I wound if it is becauseI have not seen any Navy personnel aroung my office?)

10. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Oh my, that's awful. Absolutely shameful. I suggest we create an international Bring Your Battleship To Work Day, to educate the ignorant masses in the total awesomeness of the battleship.

11. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

I think the Scharnhorst should at least be considered (but I am biased) for his final battle where the British Admiral was impressed. Admiral Bruce Fraser briefed his officers on board Duke of York: "Gentlemen, the battle against Scharnhorst has ended in victory for us. I hope that if any of you are ever called upon to lead a ship into action against an opponent many times superior, you will command your ship as gallantly as Scharnhorst was commanded today".

That is quite a testament to a ship.
    J

12. Knight4hire

I see that we are now on page 12 of this discussion.
    And no one ship has come out a clear victor.

I fear that even when we reach page 9999, that we will be at the same impass.

13. Gardengnome

Gardengnome Member

Agreed shameful heck it wasjust under 20 years ago when the USS Missouri was doing shore bombardment with her 16s in the Gulf war. I would think tho it would be a close tie between the Yamato and the USS Missouri.
    As a kid it was my first military ship model think it was a Revell =D So I will vote Missouri.:whistling:

14. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

Most famous battleship was Bismark. Thank Johnny Horton for that. It's easy to prove, just ask a 10 strangers if they know of the battleship Bismark, then do the same for any other ship. The results are plain.

15. Knight4hire

Today I asked one of the ladies at the office to name a battleship. After saying 'USS' three times she then named an aircraft carrier. She went on to name three different nuclear powered aircraft carriers! Then asked for a hint. I said most of the US battleships are named after a state. To which she responded "Arizona"! Just then a gentleman who is in his sixties walked by and added "Wisconsin" I then added "All US battleships are named after a state except one." To which he replied "Alaska"! I almost broke out laughing. But told him no, that is a heavy cruiser.

16. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Bismarck
    Hood
    Yamato
    Arizona
    Missouri

17. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Bismarck
    Hood
    Yamato
    Arizona
    Missouri

18. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

Dreadknought
    Bismarck
    Hood
    Arizona
    Missouri

19. Knight4hire

The other day, the Military channel was doing a thing about the top ten fighting ships.

If my memory serves me correctly:
    Iowa Class #1
    North Carolina Class 3rd
    Queen Elizabeth Class 5th
    Bismarck 8th
    Hood 10th

20. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

The QE was 3rd, if I remember correctly