The Next Fiberglass Hull

Discussion in 'General' started by Bob, Jul 31, 2008.

1. klibben

klibben Member

Montana
    Arizona
    Kaiser Wilhelm II
    Lusitania
    Tone or Takao
    Nagato

-Okay, I realize thats more than 5, but I figure Lusitania doesn't count because it won't be seriously considered anyways.

2. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

good point. it seems like the Arizona (pennsylvania class battleship) is popular, and it would be awesome if it goes into production

3. mightyKG5

mightyKG5 Member

me i would like to see more cruisers since they only have american light cruisers but id like to see a mogami, tone, king george v or a hood

4. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

Ralph Coles makes a beautiful KG5 hull as well as main and secondary turrets.

5. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

The only issue with the Arizona is it's very similar performance wise to the Maryland.

6. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

1)Baltimore [:D]
    2)King George V class (HMS Prince of Wales (53))
    3)Hood
    4)VV
    5)[?]

7. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

Sovietskiy Soyuz. Gives an alternative to Iowas and Yammers. Besides, from what I've been able to find online, she's a pretty ship.

8. wrenow

wrenow RIP

Bob,

For what it is worth,

1. Iowa is a perennial favorite, though not something I would personally buy at present. A Sovietsky Soyuz, however, I would.
    2. The USS New York/ USS Texas would sell well in the Big Gun community, though I am not sure how popular it would be in IRCWCC (I am thinking the bulged, WWII, version). I would certainly own at least one.
    3. This may sound a little wacky, but the HMS Erin is a little beamier than many of her other period sisters, giving a bit more room for internals. I would buy more than one of her, myself.
    4. A Kormoran (or Komet, but the Kormoran has more room and armament). Would love a Kormoran, and I know two others in my club wanting one.
    5. A Cimarron/Sangamon? Perhaps a hull or mold that could go either way giving you a 2fer? Be a nice companion to the Altmark in the lineup.

In a reply over on IRCWCC, Jeff added:

The Texas hull can also sub as a Nevada class, Pennsylvania class as well as the preceding Arkansas. :) That's 8 ships that somebody wants at least one of. I know of one person that wants New York, and about 10+ for Texas. The question is bulged or unbulged. I personally prefer their original WWI config. That way I get to put on Cage Masts (just cause I love cage masts), and the hulls were pretty similar. Postbulge, and the hulls are too far apart to use as one another, not to mention the bulges made the Texas ugly, unwieldy and unstable. I can only presume that would translate approximately to the model for all three. :)

I agree, the pre-nulged is prettier. Of course, if the plug were made for the pre-bulged version, one would think it would not be terribly difficult to add the bulges so that both versions could be offered. Or, and add-n bulge kit?

Cheers,

9. crzyhawk

I think that the HMS Erin would be a good selection as well.

10. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Is there any way we can put all these ships together into a big poll that everyone can vote on? Seeing some numbers and statistics behind these ships would probably be a lot more helpful in determining which ship to build. At the very least, it would give some impression as to how much demand there may be.

PS: this is my 1,000th post, hooray! I can now officially join the Admiralty. I wonder how many posts it takes to become First Sea Lord [:D]

11. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

What about the Idaho New Mexico class? It was armor plate just above the water line and makes a nice step right there, would give it a stringer!
    I would love to see a Baltimore! What about the Salt Lakes class?
    Buddy

12. crzyhawk

You can build a New Mexico out of a Colorado hull.

13. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

I noticed that some of the hulls that are already in production were mentioned.
    We probably need to post a list of all of the f/g hulls that are already out there now, and where to get them.
    I recall seeing a list a long time ago, but can't recall where it was.
    Mikey

14. TBustah

TBustah New Member

I'm still new, and don't know if you folks frown upon bumping old threads (some forums do) but I'd like to see a Nevada BB-36 as well.

I'm just getting in to the hobby, so a premade shell would be a good starting point.