The PE refit

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Battle Squadron' started by bb26, Jun 17, 2011.

1. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Well I have finally gotten some time to get back at the shipyard. So today was a system test of the PE. the hull has had the balsa stripped as it needs to be resheeted. The first item was the motors. I have run into a bit of a problem. One shaft runs fairly loudly while the other wont start. I recharged the battery just to make sure it wasnt a battery issue. After the battery was charged one motor wont start. It will only turn when I start to turn the prop. But after a few seconds it stops again. Next step is to take some grease and lube up the shafts and then test. If that fails then it is a motor replacement for me.

2. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

More test today to see whether the motors are the problem. I disconnected the universals from the shafts. The shafts moved with no resistance. I then decided to run the motors to see if the universals would start to turn. Once motor ran but with a lot of noise. The other one would not turn. The one that did not move was starting to get hot. So at this point I need new motors. Now to see if I can find some locally.

3. Craig

Craig Active Member

keep us posted captain!

4. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Tell me you ran them and oiled them after nats. If you sank every day and threw the boat on the shelf, they are probably rusted and seized. A motor can handle water but you need to do maintenance afterward. Light oil or that corrosion x spray at lowes might bring them back but for the $4 a 550 costs, they should be replaced if bad. If not they will fail on the water (usually furthest away from shore in deep place). Check the pump motor also.

5. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I hadn't checked the pump. good call. I will see if the pump runs. After last year the boat was dried out and put on the shelf. Any recommendations on oil? I know wd40 will start an internal bbq. What about a 3 in one oil?

6. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Tested the pump. Pump runs with no problems.

7. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

yep, three in one will do. I have gotten into the habit of oiling the bearings (just a drop or two) after battling. Also blow the guns out and remove all remaining bb's from guns/magazines

8. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Guns were cleared. i did check for rust on the pin and spring. Everything is clean.

9. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Usually blowing them out gets the moisture out. It is a must after a sink, optional after just battling