The Push for Smaller

Discussion in 'Digital Design and Fabrication' started by Beaver, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Presenting Z_MiCRO, the smallest, most functional 3D printed pump available. Weighs in at just 1.4oz (or 40g for you metric types).
    DSC_0317.JPG

Compared some pumps previously thought of as small.
    DSC_0314.JPG

dietzer likes this.
  2. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

Hmm, I smell a challenge... ;)

Weight is 0.71 oz - reduction in weight mostly due to the use of a brushless motor. Development to use a 130 size motor has been stalled for months.:(

It pumps 0.5 gpm through a 1/8 ID tube. It is also the most reliable priming pump that I own. It can be left running and will always prime and will reliably pump even with only a couple of holes below.
    micro pump.jpg

dietzer and Beaver like this.
  3. Beaver

Ha, well that was not exactly my intent, but since we're on the subject...
    It appears both our pumps are about the same size as far as width and breadth. Yours may be a little shorter without the discharge pipe. I guess yours in the smaller of the two.
    Your pump clearly has the weight advantage at half the weight of mine, though I could reduce weight by eliminating extra hardware. You win the weight contest.
    My pump will do 0.75gpm through a 1/8in orifice, so mine has a clear advantage there.
    Hard to say which is better. Your pump brings home two of the three categories, but lacks the output capacity to be a clearly better pump. So for now mine will retain the title of the smallest, most functional printed pump. :D

4. Beaver

Been thinking about this. Is that counting the ESC? That should be figured in for a brushless pump since it can't be run without a ESC. Being brushed, mine can be hard wired and not add extra weight with a controller. Might pump might be even better yet! ;)

5. USS Shields

USS Shields Member

Are you guys thinking about selling these if they work? Building destroyer and need a pump:)

6. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

THATS IT! My Mogador pump is doing .8 gpm though a half unit restrictor. Now I'm going to half to pull it and test with a full unit. Darn you Caleb! :mad:

dietzer likes this.
  7. Beaver

Hey now, I was only trying to be consistent with Rcengr's measurements. You run your Moggy pump at 14v don't you? I just tested Z_MiCRO with a 1/2unit convergent/divergent nozzle at 12v and got 1gpm. Beat that! :p

8. USS Shields

USS Shields Member

How many holes will 1 GPM keep up with?

9. Beaver

Not sure how many holes, but it's plenty for a DD. With a destroyer you should take minimal damage so you don't need a super powerful pump.

10. USS Shields

USS Shields Member

Okay. Will a 3/32" pump work for a fletcher-class? Also how much do those cost?

11. SteveT44

I run at 15 or 18v, depends which pack gets thrown in. I think I tested the pump on 12v back in the day though.

12. SteveT44

Hint hint. Since your local, and if you can get a parent involved. I might have some DD hardware lying around that could be placed at your disposal for a very reasonable fee (free). I've got enough junk lying around to equip a couple Fletchers.

Beaver likes this.
  13. Beaver

@SteveT44 Have you gotten a chance to see how those washer pump lowers I gave you worked?

14. SteveT44

If/when I test the Mog pump, I'll test the printed lower at the same time. Would be a good comparison.

15. Beaver

No rush, just wondering if you did. I hope I didn't shave the inside down too much for a tight fit on the rubber grommet. I think I might have mentioned it at the Regionals, but if it comes off too easily a thin film of E6000 around the inside should tighten it up.

16. USS Shields

USS Shields Member

Thanks SteveT44! we are out of town until mid august, so that might be an issue. But otherwise would be happy to use them. The Vac-U-Fletcher looks cool and comes with motors and a servo:) A group of fletchers can take down a battleship if they really want to, has anyone tried swarm tactics with small ships?

17. SteveT44

It's hard enough to sink a BB even with another BB (or two) let alone a group of DD's.

Since no ones mentioned it yet, it's usually recommended for newcomers to start off with a two cannon cruiser. They are bigger and easier to work on with not much more expense. Here's Beavers excellent scratch build of the French Suffren. A very good starter ship.

https://rcwarshipcombat.com/threads/suffren-build.443108/

18. Beaver

Well, the bloom has come off the rose for Z_MiCRO, or at least the motor. As with many small brushed motors it had finger* brushes with quickly burnt out with hard use. Luckily though, I was able to replace the brushes with some carbon ones salvaged from another motor. Works fine now and should last for a long time.

*I don't think that's the right term, but can't remember and my googlefu is lacking right now.

19. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Maybe if you stuck them with the pointy end.

One thing to bear in mind, is that our hobby is based around the concept of models of real ships, but the basis pretty much ends there. A bunch of DD's in fast-gun are pretty much gnats. Annoying but limited ability to do more than buzz around. They can put holes in you, sure, but they're mostly not lethal on their own as they have no torpedoes in fast-gun and very limited ability to get downangle on their very limited armament and create truly dangerous damage on a battleship.

20. USS Shields

USS Shields Member

Okay. I was more looking at something small/a kit with rudder, prop shaft, props, motor, & servo. I have experience with R/C and have spare ESC's and remote stuff and the holy SOLDORING IRON:)