The quest for the ship kit...

Discussion in 'General' started by pew-pew-pew, Apr 4, 2007.

1. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

2D stuff is simple, I figure out what I want by hand generally, more complex 3d generally requires that I bring a case of beer to one of my machinist buddies...

Alibre design express is a useful tool as well. (and free)

As an aside, I have a plug for the WW2 German K-class light cruisers if you are interested, machined out of aluminum. I also have a simple mold somewhere but I may have misplaced it.

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I'd be interested, Greg. I'll email you to work out details & such. At some point, I may have to send some money for a case of beer for your machinists :)

3. GregMcFadden

Actually, drop me your phone number off list and we can chat some evening when my phone is on the free minutes (after 9pm pac time)

4. Tugboat

Ow... that's past midnite! :O

I'll send my phone # :) It'll do me good to stay up late playing video games.

To answer Pew^3's original question... BC has a hull for the NC. All you need past that for a "hull kit" is a set of plans, and turrets. Turrets can be made, or bought. There are many many places to buy NC plans, so don't let that stop you.

5. klibben

klibben Member

yeah, i recommend with the update adding pictures of every product... i'd like to purchase some launches but i'm not sure if they are what i need... otherwise i'd be happy to make an original for a plug.

6. Tugboat

The launches we have are some generic "ship's boats"... At some point there will be nation-specific boats.

7. klibben

klibben Member

is that some point whenever someone sends you some? or will you decide, because this summer i may build some japanese launches and boats. ...and probably a liferaft as well.

8. Tugboat

Either someone sends them, or I carve them myself :) I have the plans to do Japanese, German, and American. I will get plans for British ones.

9. klibben

klibben Member

My plans for the jap launches aren't that great, just what i can tell from my Kumano plans... i'll see what i can do.

10. GregMcFadden

Hey Tug, I've got an aluminum plug for the K class light cruiser turrets if you are interested

11. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

wow,i come back from a night out to find that this huge conversation has started, anyway, tug you make molds for the details on the ships? like the little smoke stack thingys and masts? i have always wondered where you get them. do you have a sight for it?

12. Tugboat

The site needs updating, but the address is in my signature line. If you're building a Bismarck, then Greg's got the superstructure parts.

For those asking why the website needs updating, please remember that I only just got into this full-time, and I am in the process of moving to a house that will 1)make the wife happy, and 2) give me a climate-controlled 20x20 shop to play in and expand our line of parts.

13. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

tug, very cool site, something ill definately have to look into when the site is updated :)

14. Tugboat

If you're going to do a North Carolina, the 1/144 NC main turret plug is close to being done.

Status for other projects people may be watching for:
    -OS2 Kingfisher plug is progressing. It's hard to get the tail section right because it's so thin. I may wind up having to cast it with a steel rod thru it for strength.
    -1/96 Yamato main turret plug is making progress. Rough shape is cut out, trying to figure out how to mount the rangefinders (planning before cutting that area is important :)

15. klibben

klibben Member

Tug, you cast 1/96 as well?

Is this just a one time thing, or if people send you more 1/96 will you cast them as well?

16. Tugboat

I'm doing it full time, and since I'm helping re-found Battlestaions, I am expanding to 1/96. I'm doing the Yamato turrets for Mark, and after that other ships. So if you're of a mind to do work in 1/96, then yes, I'm willing to cast those.

17. klibben

klibben Member

great news then! I'm preparing to build a 1/96 USS Ohio BB-12! I've been planning on casting the parts all myself but starter kits are expensive and i'm likely to screw them up anyhow!

I'm mostly thinking life boats, funnels, etc. I've got a cnc-miller helping me develop some parts, and another who may help with barrels, so making the extras is the main part for me. Plus there seems to be a rising interest in the GWF in 1/96.... so if i send some stuff your way i'll pass along your site to some friends building them.

18. Tugboat

Are you building it for Battlestations, or something else? Not that it matters for parts-making :) I've always thought the Maine class was a fine-looking design, especially painted up in the Great White Fleet paint job. Where are you getting the plans from?

19. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Hey Tugboat, have you considered making your turrets buoyant? Someone recently did something with fiberglass and microballoons to make his Deutschland turrets float, after having several shot off and lost to Davey Jones.

Also, do you have any minimum level of detail required for the turrets? I will be making new turrets for Spahkreuzer and Cadorna (both in 1:144 scale) soon, and I'm trying to decide between making my own (from aircraft-grade plywood) or sending samples to you to duplicate. I am very good about accurately duplicating the exterior shape of the turret, but I don't do stuff like ladders, hatches, or high-detail barrels.

20. klibben

klibben Member

not familiar with battlestations? or if i am i just dont recall it...

building for personal use, BB-12 is my favorite ship, i'm a huge GWF fan. I'm hoping for R/C, running lights, smoke, maybe even sounds and simulated firing.... and rotating turrets. The name of the plans seller is escaping me at the moment, they are extremely expensive plans, i believe $140 for 11 sheets? must be highly detailed.... A friend of mine who is a cnc-miller and ship modeller is collaborating with me on a new way to build, we are going to mill the hull...possibly as one giant piece, possibly in a few pieces. Depending on how much time he has to design in cad, we will mill the turrets, smoke stacks, and much more. I suggested to make a profit (as this is an expensive process) he sell some of the hulls/kits were making.... originally he said no as this was only for fun and not profit but now as he has found more and more interesting tools i believe he is wanting to sell a few. if anyone is interested i can find out more and maybe hook you up. At the moment its the Maine class, he is building the Missouri and i the Ohio. He has the list for the plans so if your interested i can get the url from him.

I have a set of plans for the Maine class in the later setup with the cage masts (which is the only real difference) in 1/192 along with a set of turrets a second friend made for me which i planned to use as the Ohio but then i was convinced to make it in 1/96. I'm considering making the smaller one as either static .... or a target ship for my combat ships.

If anyone is intersted in the set of plans i have let me know, i can get copies made. If you want turrets i should be able to get more.