The quest for the ship kit...

Discussion in 'General' started by pew-pew-pew, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Carl, I like to put on ladders, hatches, etc. If you make an accurately-shaped turret, I will tack those one if you can send along some xeroxes of the part of the plans showing the turret side and top view. I have plenty of sheet styrene (makes good hatch-looking panels) and little ladders to glue on before making the molds. My main criteria for submissions is accurate shape of the turret. Adding details doesn't increase the price of the end product (for buyers) because once they're on the plug, the mold will add them to all turrets made :)

Klibbster- Battlestations is a 1/96 battling club, several of us on this Forum are members. It was dead for a while and we're reviving it. As far as the Maine goes, it's a cool ship. I had actually thought about building Battleship #15, aka BB-15, aka USS Georgia of Second Division (since I live in Georgia). Not for battling :)

2. klibben

klibben Member

Ah, no no... definently dont want to battle this baby..... she's gonna empty my pocketbook but she'll be my prized possesion. (I'm doing Ohio, as i live in Ohio...ironic eh? haha)

3. Tugboat

Indeed. :) Totally understandable. If I do a USS Georgia, no way is she getting battled. I'll leave that to my ships built for it.

4. klibben

klibben Member

yes, althought i have considered building an Ohio in 1/144 for combat.... but i'm afraid she's be vastly outrun, outgunned, and out of solid sides within seconds of the battle... my club is nearly all ww2 capital ships... the only thing i would be able to do is out-turn them...

by the way, if anyone ever wants to chat off-site i can usually be found on MSN libben@hotmail.com or AIM Kenny06. Feel free to chat anytime, i'm usually procrastinating from studying and whatnot...

5. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

Tugboat, will you be making the actual deatails for the NC? masts, small detailed little turrets all those little details for it?

6. Tugboat

We already have the dual 5" small turrets for the NC. I am in the process of making the main turrets. The plug is coming along very nicely and I am at the point of cleaning up little imperfections and then putting on details. What other detail parts were you looking for?

7. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

what details am i looking for?...Hmm... basicaly everything, all the little towers and and masts, and those very tiny litle detailed turrets that u see on the decks.

8. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

I think he means an entire superstructure to include funnels, the "wigwam", bridge, range finders, 40mms etc...

On a note completely unrelated to North Carolinas, my mouth began to drool when I read you are actually going to do SOCs. I've got some Canadian Kingfishers for my Salt Lake City currently, but SOCs are correct for most of the war for her. I just hope that 5"/25's and 1.1" Chicago Pianos are also in the future...

Mike D

9. Tugboat

Mike, there's a lot of stuff in the future :) I'm glad you like the SOC, I think it's a beautiful aircraft. As for the AA guns, I am a fan of the 1.1" guns. Why? Cause they look cool. The 5"/25cal you're talking about is a cruiser mount, no gun shield, right?

10. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Yes, it was used primarily by the old cruisers for the duration of the war. I believe the BBs carried at the time of the Pearl Harbor attack as well, in addition to the SP 5"/51 secondaries.

As for the 1.1's you are right. That is how an AA gun is supposed to look. For the record, unless I am mistaken, both of the NC class battleships completed with 1.1's and carried them for the first few months of the war ;)

Mike D

11. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

exactly, all those little detail thingys. where can i get 'em?

12. Tugboat

At this point, build 'em. I won't be focusing on superstructure per se. Basin Shipyards has done some work on Bismarck/Tirpitz superstructure, but I don't know that Greg is interested in doing lots of other ships. Most people build their own.

13. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

That depends. As long as I can get someone else to take over manufacture of the superstructure after I am done with the design I plan on continuing making superstructures. If there is a part that is particularly difficult for any ship out there, you are welcome to contact me off list and we can arrange something.

right now, after the Bismardk/tirpitz (and after my Tirpitz is running and fighting) I plan on doing some smaller more detail parts for that class and then move onto the Richelieu and Iowa classes.

14. Tugboat

Hmmm... was that a hint? What night do you want me to call on?

15. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

How's tonight work for you?

16. Tugboat

Uh, went to bed early because I'm sandblasting today, LOL :)

I'll email you and get a time set up, maybe tonite?