The Sabotage of The Mutsu!

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by NickMyers, Mar 3, 2010.

1. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Gather close and hear a tale of mischief, mayhem and catastrophe at Coal Creek!
    The pride of The Enemy, the Mutsu - captained by Phill Lowe- steams around the pond, terrorizing all that she can bring her guns to bear and fire on.
    [​IMG]
    A green gun crew though prohibits the Mutsu from putting forth the constant stream of ammo on target and after two sorties her captain commands that the ship be placed in drydock while the gun crews are trained. Meanwhile he assumes command of the SMS Viribus Unitis and puts to sea, seeking battle with the Bismarck and Suffren.
    [​IMG]
    As the fleets form up a sudden crash is heard, the captains all immediately look to the source of the sound. Sabotuers have assaulted the drydock berth in which the Mutsu lay and knocked her from her blocks!
    [​IMG]
    Captain Phill immediately rushes to assess the damage. 'What did this come from?'
    [​IMG]
    As damage control teams move in and the vessel is re-berthed, something is immediately noticed... 'I didn't think the box said 'Some Assembly Required'...'
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Meanwhile... Don't you just hate it when all the other captains slow down to stare at the wreck and go off and get into a mess and jam up traffic?
    [​IMG]

2. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

That Mutsu looks awefully familiar. May I ask where you purchased that?

3. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Oh no, what a crash! I hope it can be fixed. Looks like all the important parts are still there, so it should be a simple matter of re-attaching the stern and then re-sheeting the section.

4. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Looks like that Jap cruiser in the drydock in Singapore during the war.

5. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

You can never trust those sneaky Allies.

6. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

Typical axis ship, notoriously weak sterns.

7. phill

phill Active Member

The Mutsu has a long history. She is a wooden hulled ship built about 15-16 years ago. I bought her and had her shiped from the eastern hord at least seven years ago. I don't recall who actually built her right off hand. She has been an active component of our fleet since then. I have a new fiberglass hull that I hope to get on the water next year that will be a replacement. Her superstructure is disintegrating and a wooden hull of this age is distinctly tired!

8. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

At least 7! I thought you had that when I first showed up at a battle back in 2000-ish

9. phill

phill Active Member

It gets fuzzy that far back.
    Looking back at the battle reports, Mutsu first battled here in April of 2001. Gee... I guess that is more than seven years...
    As I recall, she was eight years old when I bought her.

10. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

A ship that old has earned her rest. I'd repair, restore and retire her from combat, but still use her for guunery practice and display.

11. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

That used to be Tom Cromwell's old NAGATO PURCHASED BACK IN 2000-2001. It was purchased from the U.S I forget the Captain but it's been around a lot longerthan 16 yrs. It was a very old model by the time it was up for sale. It was at least 15 to 20 yrs by the time it was sold to Tom. I refitted it for Tom where it served under Tom's command for several years in Nabs. It ended up with Sinkin purchasing it where it was used at various events as display and target ship. The keel was eventually collapsing so it was reiinforced with exposy resin inside. That hull is very old. I wondere'd what happened to it .
    I should post of it's arrival and refit to show you.

12. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

What you failed to add Nick was that she sank first. Not add insult to injury.

[​IMG]

13. NickMyers

Well, it wasn't relevant to a certain someone 'bumping' the table it was sitting on. :D

I was actually going to include that in the photostream from the day, I just haven't gotten to cropping and posting them yet. I also don't have much for pictures of it going down, basically 3 similar to what you've got there - was distracted trying to park the Suffren someplace safe so I could go wade in after Phill's battery.

14. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Oh, Im sorry I have a heavy ship!

15. NickMyers

I thought the bismarck was already in the water? Honestly I didn't actually see the fall and whatever caused it, I looked over when i heard the crash, thankfully I didn't drive over the waterfall while I wasn't looking...

16. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

I took the Bismarck off the table and then about 2 min later it fell over. But I wasnt around it.

17. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

It is sad to see a ship damaged like that. But it is a good thing that the ship has a wooden hull.
    It will be easier to fix.
    Mikey

18. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

On the other hand Phil..
    You could just build another Frenchie.
    Perhaps deep down inside, you just couldn't bring yourself to running the Jap.
    Mikey

19. NickMyers

Interesting. So perhaps she scuttled herself in a desperate plea to be retired!

20. zbond007

zbond007 Member

lol i have had things like that happent to me before but i build on the 1/72 so i transport with a flat bed trailer with custom built rack to hold my ship

so i was on my way over to a friends hose with a few of my 1/72 scale ship and im driveing donw the road then i hit a bump nothing happens so i just kept driveing about five minutes later i just here a big klunk sound and then the sond or snaping and scrapeing of wood and fiber glass turned out that my battlecruiser Scharnhorst had broken free of its ties down when i hit that bump total wrecked all i could do was pick up the wreckage and salvage the guns and electonics and build a new one

it was a sad day that day