THEIR BACK...

Discussion in 'Queen's Own 1/72' started by Gary Powell, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Gary Powell

Gary Powell Well-Known Member

After a few years hiatus from combat, Queen's Own held a combat event in Molalla Oregon this past Saturday. Attended by only Oregon members and a couple California guests, it was still a great start to holding regular events again. No sooner than the event was over, members from Washington that could not make it were already planning the next event. The good news about the event was there were 8 armed and ready to go warships, but the bad news was we were only able to get 5 on the water at any one time. As the events get more frequent, more ships will actually make it into combat. This is the hot part of the summer, but we were in shade the entire day and I don't think it ever got hotter that 72 degrees. By the way, it was not a good day for the allies: we managed to tie one sortie, but lost all the others and we had the only sink. The HMAS Tobruk went down and not one of us saw it. The ship floated off as combat continued and the next thing anyone noticed was a tiny float where the ship was last seen. It was great fun and the Winery owners were even better with help they provided during and after the event. The price for playing was to buy a couple bottles of wine on the way out. Who has combat and then retires to a wine tasting room to relax and discuss the days activities? No one wanted to leave! I needed to as I was heading to the NAMBA event the next day.

Tugboat likes this.
  2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Sounds like great fun!

3. Gary Powell

It was, but I'm getting tired of being beat up by California and now Oregon Axis ships. Allies have been trounced about 4 events in a row.

4. ish311

ish311 Active Member

event i was at had a guy talk to me about you guys. wasn't him but a cousin that was in queens own

5. Gary Powell

Queen's Own has had a lot of great members over the years and just like other groups they got older or moved on. We hear back from many that still stay connected or just want to catch up. I just heard from an original member that hasn't played in 25 years. He was interested in what was going on and to say how much he missed it. It would be interesting to know who's cousin it was.

6. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

That is good news that the WA group is talking about getting going again. At some point I'd like to attend an event, maybe get involved down the road. Right now keeping up with one group and my 2 year old is a full load though.

7. Argonaut

Argonaut Member

I just found out that Queen's Own now has an active website: http://www.queensown2016.org/

I am sure this is just the start of the resurrection of the hobby in Washington and Oregon. It looks like they have a nice pond at a winery. How cool is that?

8. Gary Powell

It looks like their event the end of this month at the Alexi Winery is on for July 30 and 31. Cost for using the pond and their ATV is that the group buy a few bottles of wine on the way out. Most members don't need to worry about this since one member more than takes care of the entry fee for everyone with his purchase. I bought a couple bottles last year and gave away as gifts "Killing two birds with one stone, or should I say one bottle". Since I don't drink it, I have to take others word for it that it's good wine. I brought along a couple good beers that I snuck into their tasting room. Queen's Own has a very nice location here; completely shaded the entire day and being close to the river always has a nice breeze keeping it cool. If you can make it I would highly recommend you stop by.

rcaircraftnut and NickMyers like this.