Thinking about getting back on the water.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by rcaircraftnut, Jan 2, 2016.

1. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

1st a question: Do you think you'd prefer hanging around the outside of the battle & sniping, or diving into the furball?

Snipe: Cruiser such as a Lutzow (German) or Suffren (French) with stern guns
    Furball: Battlecruiser such as Von der Tann (German) or Invincible (Brit). Sidemount guns.

Once you narrow down your preferences, the available hulls will be easier to determine.

2. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

I could go either way. I need to go to a battle and really see what's going on before I can say for certain, but from the videos I've seen, I'll probably start out trying to snipe, then inevitably get suckered into the furball, haha.

3. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

4. rcaircraftnut

Not a bad looking ship that invincible.

5. rcaircraftnut

I like them both.

6. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Unless planning on going to one of the National events sometime soon, I wouldn't worry overmuch about going Axis or Allied. For local and regional battles, Axis Allied may battle together more often than against each other to keep battles balanced.

7. rcaircraftnut

That's why I wanted to know, it's better in my humble opinion for me to build what there's less of so as to help alleviate some of the guys from having to be fighting with the enemy so to speak. You will find as you get to know me, while I can be a bit annoying to some people, I am always willing to help out with whatever problem or task arises. Some people don't see the value in knowing a person like me, and that's fine, I feel like that's their loss. I am currently going through some hard times due to a screw up on my part but that's almost over with. I have not been able to work because I drive for a living and this screw up caused my license to get suspended. After waiting 6 weeks for the ticket to be cleared up, I went to get my license reinstated and then I was informed that a birth certificate would be required to reinstate it. I lost it a while back. Had to order a new one. Been almost 3 weeks since I mailed out the order and they estimated 4 weeks to send it out. But with the holiday season I expect at least one extra week. Once I get that this 3-4 months of no income hell will finally be over. I have been forced to put up for sale a large part of my rc airplanes and related gear. Rather than ask for a handout. That's not my style. Some of my supposed friends on the airplane site I have been a member of for almost 6 yrs have made statements that I'm just seeking handouts and that I need to be a man and solve my own problems. The only reason I even told them is because that's what friends usually do, talk about things to see if there's anything someone else may suggest that you haven't already thought of. I guess I'm wrong on that. Anyway I'm rambling on about something that most of you could probably care less about.
    On to the point. I have decided not to be an active member in that circle anymore as I don't need the headaches, it's a hobby, for fun, not to stress me out wondering if I will have to get in a brawl with someone over the fact that they can't control their urge to say anything they can think of to take it to that level. I will just let them have their way and go play with boats. I will still fly sometimes, if that is the FAA backs off of their new rule that says you have to register with them to fly anything remotely over a .55lb weight. I refuse to register with them as the current political climate suggest to me that they are just gathering names to put on a list for future use such as addition to the no fly list as being capable of terrorism. I value my rights like the second amendment to much to take that risk. So boats it is.
    Will be starting a build soon after I am back at work. Tux for listening and sorry if you found it annoying.

Scharnhorst56 and Beaver like this.
  8. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

FS Suffren

Dual rudders, single drive shaft and 2 drag props makes Suffren the most maneuverable Heavy cruiser available. French can battle either allied or axis. Set it up with dual aft cannons.
    http://battlersconnection.com/ship-yard/heavy-cruiser-class/france/

I built one years ago. My second build. Nice easy to work with hull. It is still in the club. It is used often as a loaner boat.

9. rcaircraftnut

That may work. Thanks for the info. Still have a lot of reading to do.

10. Scharnhorst56

Scharnhorst56 Active Member

Beaver is the person to talk to about the Suffren.:);):)

11. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

If you decide to go axis, you might want to consider the WWI armoured cruiser Scharnhorst. So much hard area you can use it as a meat shield. It is also one of the few cruisers that can do belows.

12. rcaircraftnut

Still have yet to get the question of number of ships on each side answered. But I have read beavers build thread. What a long read, lol. Been looking at the Sharnhorst as well. Looks good.

13. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

I don't think there is an answer. Many guys have multiple ships. Some are willing to switch sides to get a better balance. A lot could depend on what the local club has. Many local clubs run flags vs no flags in order to evenly balance the ships and captain abilities.
    Build what appeals to you. Get feedback on your short list. Some hulls are inherently better (in competent hands) than others. ;)

14. rcaircraftnut

Ok then axis it is. Guess you allied guys should have lied and said you were short ships hahaha.

15. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

This was the signup list for SAS' last multiday event:
    http://www.southeastattacksquadron.org/eventinfo.shtml?115_5_29_31
    Shows 11 Allied, 7 Axis.

May Mayhem ( http://www.southeastattacksquadron.org/eventinfo.shtml?114_11_16_30 ) shows 4 Allied, 12 Axis.

So I would say that with the number of people who would attend a large SAS event, they are pretty capable of fielding either a balanced # of ships, or a completely out of whack number for one side or the other, as many of their captains have multiple ships. In short, build whatever you like. That said, I've noticed there seem to be a higher % of people who are diehard Axis and refuse to build an Allied ship than the other way around.

16. rcaircraftnut

Ok, guess I will have to build one of each.

17. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Why stop there?

18. rcaircraftnut

Money! Lol. Only reason I can think of. Lol.

19. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

One well built, well captained, combat effective ship is much better(more fun for you to use and better combat on the water which is more fun for everyone) than just having a bunch of ships, a lot of people seem to forget this.

Plus you can really only battle one at a time anyway.

Once you get one working well then build the fleet.

20. rcaircraftnut

Once I have a full package put together, hull, propulsion, pump, battery, armaments, it won't take me long to get on the water. Eventually I will be moving as there is no local work here, so I will just move to an area where there are more active people. I would like to be very active, as in building every weekend whenever there's no battle scheduled. And would be nice to battle once a month minimum.