Three Questions About 1/96 Battlestations

Discussion in '1/96 Battlestations' started by Rob Wood, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Rob Wood

Rob Wood NAMBA Rep

1) Is there a full set of current rules available?
    2) Are there any organized 1/96 Battlestations clubs?
    3) Is NAMBA membership required to participate in a 1/96 Battlestations event?

Thanks,

Rob Wood

2. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

1)http://www.rcnavalcombat.com/Forum/tabid/58/aff/560/aft/407720/afv/topic/afnp/491945/Default.aspx
    2) The Midwest naval combat club:https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/MidwestNavalCombatClub/info
    3) yes

3. Rob Wood

Rob Wood NAMBA Rep

Hey Chase,
    The link to the current rules for 1/96 Battlestations shows the original set posted in 2008, and then a long discussion about changing the rules. Is there a set of rules that includes whatever decisions were made?
    Let me ask this way:
    1) Is speed maximum for any ship set by a formula, with base time to run 100' set at 33 knots = 33 seconds, such that 32 knots = 33+1 (34 seconds), and 34 knots = 33-1 (32 seconds)?
    2) Is there a limit (other than practical limits) for the number of barrels or torpedo tubes that can be armed?
    3) Are Treaty and 1/96 Battlestations battles only happening within the one club (Midwest Naval Combat Club), or are there other Treaty clubs that only do Treaty?
    4) Do Treaty ships battle against Battlestations ships, or do they battle separately?
    5) I think I read that there was a Battlestations battle this year with 4 ships paticipating. Is that true, and have there been Battlestations battles with more combatants?

Thanks,

Rob

4. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

Rob,
    Rule changes have been discussed, but apart from speed and allowing HPA, nothing has been changed on a national basis until more battles have been fought to get a solid idea for gameplay balance.

1. The 33=33 speed is the only change to the original rules that I can remember of the top of my head. Max speed is set at 19 seconds = 47 knots and min speed is 44 sec for all ships =< 22 knots.

2. Everybody agrees with the no one-shot kill limitations on torps, but there is not really a national consensus on which proposal to follow on limiting torps per salvo. The MNCC has local provisional rules to address some of the things not addressed in the main rule set. For Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary guns, there are no limits as to the number of armable guns as long as they are on the prototype and fall within the specified caliber.

3. As far as I know, only the MNCC hosts battles with Treaty and Battlestations.

4. Battles at MNCC events alternate between formats when a dual format event happens. I haven't been active since I moved to Arkansas last fall, but I wouldn't be surprised if a free for all happened with both formats in the water at least once.

5. Last September there were five boats on the water for a MNCC event. Hood, Arkansas, Gustav V, Mogador, and Saipan. The Tashkent was on the water and firing, but did not participate in that battle. There was an end of event last man standing with the Mogador, Tashkent, and Arkansas that resulted in all three ships sinking :D Steven Morgret won that running the borrowed Tashkent.

The MNCC local rules can be found here: https://rcwarshipcombat.com/threads/2014-rules.443607/#post-5146
    The provisional rules address Torpedoes, arming carriers, gun caliber adjustments to address the lack of a reliable1/8" gun design and difficulties with getting 7/32 quads to fire, basic scoring, and the simplest combat factor calculations that could be outright stolen from other clubs rules.

Last year Matt G and I discussed pump rate modifications to allow for the greater volume of hulls in the bigger scale, but no proposal went to vote.

Task Force 3 is the weekend after labor day, and I would not be suprised if there were 8-12 on the water.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2017
  5. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

1. Yes, that's how we calculate speed. Minimum warship speed is 22 knots or 44 seconds.
    2. Sort of. The base rule set requires 1/2 of the main turrets be armed before you can arm torpedoes. In the MNCC we don't enforce this rule. We also have a provisional rule that only allows arming tubes equal to one launcher - i.e., if your ship had quad launchers you can have a maximum of 4 tubes per side. Right now we accept arming by the original or provisional rule.
    3. To my knowledge, only the MNCC has held Battlestations battles so far. There are other Treaty organizations, as well as members of our own club, who only battle Treaty.
    4. All battles are held separately, no mixing of scales. We have discussed allowing 144 convoy ships participate in Battlestations and vice versa, but it hasn't happened yet.
    5. I think the maximum number of ship in one battle was 6. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Our problem is we already have more ships than captains, so that number won't go up until we get more people interested.

6. Rob Wood

Rob Wood NAMBA Rep

Thanks, Dustin and Mark. I'm asking these questions because I've been asked to put together the combat portion of the 2015 NAMBA Nationals. They are being hosted by District 9, and scheduled for July 11 - 18, at Lake Minden, near Sacramento, California.

I'm the NAMBA combat chair, and (conveniently) I live in District 9, so I know the venue. It's close to ideal for racing and for combat. The lake is the centerpiece of a privately owned resort that offers furnished cabins and trailers that sleep 6 people, an RV park and a campground. The water level is kept consistent via 3 large pumps, with a fairly uniform depth of approximately 30 inches.

What I'm trying to get a handle on are all the different types of RC warship combat we will need to accommodate. I see this as an opportunity to promote all of the segments of the hobby, and especially those that are trying to get off the ground. I'd love to see Fast Gun, Big Gun, 1/72, Treaty, Battlestations, Age of sail, Steampunk, Ironclad at this event. Even if some only have enough for a demo, it would expose all flavors to a national audience.

Right now, we have one Big Gun club onboard (Western Warship Combat Club), but we need to hear from the other groups out there. I realize several groups have their own nationals or main annual events about that same time, but I'm hoping they might be willing to either hold those events at Minden, or adjust their schedules to allow at least some of their captains to represent them at the NAMBA Nationals.

Well, that's the general concept. What do you think?

Rob

7. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

July 11 - 18, 2015?

Something to keep in mind is MWC and at times IRC hold their national events in July. Although not everyone goes to the Nats of course. :)

8. Rob Wood

Rob Wood NAMBA Rep

Right, I mentioned that in my post. I'm hoping that it might be possible for at least one of those groups to hold their events at the NAMBA Nationals. I think it could work. Alternatively, schedules can be moved around with a year to plan, I would think.

Rob

9. USS Johnston

USS Johnston New Member

This is gonna sound dumb but is battlestations big gun only and is there a website that sells 1/96 ships and where are the clubs located thanks

10. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

You can get 1/96 fiberglass hulls from scaleshipyard.com. However these are quite expensive compared to 144 hulls sold by our R/C Naval Combat vendors, plus they are a little thin for our purposes. For this reason, most of the hulls in Battlestations are scratch built from plywood. You can either build from a set of plans or look at the laser cut kits that I sell - just click on the link in my signature.

The only active Battlestations club is the Midwest Naval Combat Club, located in Dayton OH.

11. USS Johnston

USS Johnston New Member

12. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

I speak as a member, this is a crazy group of guys.
    Nikki

13. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

Crazy laid back, lol. We are a pretty active group though but the emphasis is on having fun.

NASAAN101 likes this.
  14. NASAAN101

and not to say pranks :D
    Nikki

15. USS Johnston

USS Johnston New Member

16. USS Johnston

USS Johnston New Member

So you onow how all the rules and stuff say no underwater mines well i found a mine that uses co2 to blow holes in the ship

17. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

Cool, I like the technology aspect of the hobby, so am always interested in different ways of doing things.

18. NASAAN101

As of now, i'm the only active girl this group. So I get picked on badly :)