Ticonderoga class Aircraft carrier

Discussion in 'General' started by EricMA, Apr 18, 2008.

1. EricMA

EricMA Member

I'm looking for a hull and/or plans to build a Ticonderoga Class Aircraft Carrier in 1/144 scale. I have not been able to find either. Does anyne know where I could find either or both? I checked the Drydock and have had no luck. [:(]

2. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

This is who I used I love his work easy and accurate.
    And I believe he has the plans you need as this was an Essex class if I’m not mistaken. [^]

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=231663&ck=

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I'd be careful with those plans. Several people have gotten plans that were out of scale from him. Some of his plans are very good, just check measurements before you start cutting wood.

4. Powder Monkey

[:0][B)][:(!][xx(]
    Well so much for my confidence I better start checking my ship [V]

5. Powder Monkey

Do you know what ships where wrong? I am questioning as to if it was his work or others as he sells both[?]

6. EricMA

EricMA Member

It is a Ticonderoga class. The carrier I want to build is the USS Valley Forge CV-45. It was the first carrier to have a wooden deck. My father served on it during WW2.

7. Powder Monkey

I think I might be right it doesn’t happen often just ask my wife but I’m pretty shore check this link out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Valley_Forge_%28CV-45%29

8. Tugboat

The specific plans that I am aware of are the HMS Vanguard plans, which have the top view 1/2" too skinny at the widest point, and the T-103 and another transport plans that were 66% of proper scale size.

A half inch doesn't sound like much, but over the length of a 6 foot battleship, it throws off a bunch of measurements. Also, most clubs don't allow a 1/2" variance in beam.

9. EricMA

EricMA Member

This link says it is a Ticonderoga class. http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/usnshtp/cv/cv14cl.htm
    According to this 13 were modified and became the ticonderoga class.
    The valley forge was one of them.

10. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

the Ticonderoga class were lengthened Essex class ships (aka long hull Essexes) All of the ww2 era US carriers had wooden decks. some photos of the Valley Forge can be found here:

http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/45.htm

11. Powder Monkey

so we are both right [;)]

12. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Yep. Count me as one. My Kilkis plans were too small. I always measure to be sure.

13. Powder Monkey

So how do I tell if my plans where right? Man I will shoot my self if after all this work these plans are wrong [:(!]

for all you Social workers out there that was just a figure of speech please don’t send no intervention my way as I really like being crazy and don’t need no one tying to fix that[;)]

14. Anachronus

Measure a feature on the plans and compare with a known dimension on the prototype. Then as the saying goes...do the math.

15. Tugboat

After my Vanguard experience, I recommend checking length, beam, and draft. The Vanguard plans were the correct length, but the beam direction was compressed slightly. I almost had a heart attack, but found that the hull section diagram was good. I'd already cut all the ribs for 2 Vanguards and had them on their keels when the top view discrepancy was noticed. So measure thoroughly :)

16. EricMA

EricMA Member

Yes all carriers had wooden decking but the valley forge was the first carrier to have a wooden deck. My father has a picture of a hole in the deck and you can see the wooden support beams holding it up. in October 1952, she was redesignated CVA-45. With her flight deck essentially unchanged from its World War II design, Valley Forge was increasingly unable to handle the new high-performance, heavier jet aircraft of the post-Korean War era and, in January 1954, she was reclassified an anti-submarine warfare (ASW) support carrier with the designation CVS-45.

17. Anachronus

Impressive.

18. Powder Monkey

so with a Length: 673 ft 3 in and a beam of 71 ft 10 in what should my ship be ? [:0]

19. Powder Monkey

my ship is 56 1/8 and 5 3/4 would that be correct for 1/144 scale (crosses fingers and legs) [?]

20. Tugboat

It's a little off, Monk, but within tolerance :)