tight tolerance barrel

Discussion in 'Weapons & Pneumatics' started by Captain obvious, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Captain obvious

Captain obvious Active Member

Is there an advantage to getting the tight tolerance barrels from Battlers connection? I am asking about any advantage such as: fps, distance, barrel wear or damage avoidance?

2. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

Biggest difference is FPS is much higher than common brass tubing of .185 ID. Easiest way to make your guns BARK.

3. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Much better penetrating power than 'loose tolerance'! I ordered a bunch of them from Strike Models before they went out of business.

I used to make tight tolerance barrels from thick walled brass tubing (same dimensions as the steel) but the local metals supplier went out of business.

4. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

In our testing, we saw an average increase of around 30 fps using the tight tolerance barrels, vs the standard barrels we sell. 220-230 vs 250-260 fps. We shot 100 BB's in the same gun setup, and just swapped barrels.

Some of course were a little lower, or higher, if I remember right we dropped the 10 lowest, and highest, and Averaged the 80 that were left.

5. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

so they'd be good for adding a bit of oompf to sidemounts for better below waterline penetration after passing through the water column, I assume.

Were shot group patterns tested? I assume they'd be tighter.

6. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Do you care at 2”?

NickMyers likes this.
  7. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

nope. Just the Squad Designated Marksman/Scientist's curiosity coming to fore.

8. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

We did test at around 2 ft, good for Protected Cruiser fire. :rolleyes:

Went from 4 inches, to around 2 inch pattern. The rifled barrels Don and I use, were 1/2 inch pattern. Kind of weird with round balls, but saw the same results each time we tested. .177 barrel blanks cut down.