Time to Choose a Ship to Build

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by Slyfly, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Slyfly

Slyfly Member

Its time to get serious. I have two ships in mind for my first build. Either the USS Alabama (battleship) or Japanese Destroyer "Sigiri."

From your professional standpoint, what would be the best and what is an estimated cost. Thanks for your help and support!

2. Slyfly

Slyfly Member

* Sagiri (not Sigiri)

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

If it's between those two, Alabama all the way.

4. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

You asked, so here it is.
    If you are serious about getting on the water, and there is no one near you to battle that means you will need to travel. How far is the nearest group to you? Can you drive it (this means a battleship could be built). If you need to fly, then a pre-dred is cheaper to ship by FedEx/UPS/Freight. A cruiser is great, but the length will cost you more to ship. If you are really handy in the shop, you could try to section a ship so you can fit it into a smaller (cheaper) box.
    Be honest with yourself, how likely are you to travel to battle?
    If not traveling, then think about building two boats (same type to keep costs down) and recruit another local captain. If you hook them, they might even buy the boat from you.
    Look at the build forums and see the number of unfinished boats (time/money/skills/women/other hobbies), we want to see you on the water so you can battle with us. Not being negative, just realistic.
    Answer these questions:
    1. travel to battle?
    2. budget
    3. Willing to buy a fiberglass hull or wood laser-kit
    4. What do you already have to put into the boat (radio, guns,etc...)

KeriMorgret likes this.
  5. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Another factor I didn't see mentioned: What ruleset? If he's building 1:144, there's a 99.7% chance he'd be unable to complete the destroyer. I've been in the hobby 20+years & I wouldn't want to try to fit everything into that small a hull.

6. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

You do know you can edit your own posts right?

7. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

In another thread you mentioned visiting Tybee Island in Georgia. That makes me think you're near the Southeast Attack Squadron, which mostly battles in Statesboro. I recommend going to visit a battle to see what you're getting into. Watching videos on youtube and looking at photos online are no substitute for getting your hands on an actual combat vessel and seeing the action first-hand. I'm not sure when the next battle is, but I bet someone can pipe up with a better guesstimate than me.

8. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Memorial Day weekend (3 days). Statesboro GA

9. ish311

ish311 Active Member

if you come to Statesboro I will have an IJN Shimakaze so you can see exactly how difficult a DD is to fit. I would go with a Kuma class pre refit for a DD if I was building again. half an inch more keel and beam.

10. Slyfly

Slyfly Member

Oh no guys, I've moving to Idaho. Airforce and stuff.

And we only visit Tybee for vacation.

I have asked about scale and the guys confirmed that 1/144 is the most popular (because I will likely move again) and so a 1/144 USS Alabama is what I will run with. I'll just build so that the weapons will be legal in big and fast gun combat. No swiveling weapons, just fixed ones (are those called side mounts?).

How's that sound?

@VVaholic I have a pickup truck so space in that car isn't a factor, and I'll probably be traveling via the pickup truck.

11. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Fixed sidemounts are perfect. And in fast gun (IRCWCC), SoDak's like your 'Bama get 6 units. So that's a pump plus 5 50-round guns. Usual setup is 3 stern guns +1 sidemount in each forward turret.

12. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Weapons for Big Gun are difficult to come by these days. Not being down on Big Gun (because they're cool guys and have lots of fun battling), but it's a lot easier to get into fast gun at the moment.

13. Slyfly

Slyfly Member

Yeah, fast gun is what I thought.