Tirpitz build. Modelshipsahoy.com hull

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by nmmichris, Nov 2, 2019.

1. nmmichris

nmmichris Member

Ok so this will be my first build. Have a loaner musashi club boat that I have been using to learn on. See what I like in the build and what I dont. Granted the ship was built 20 plus years ago there is room for improvement. This hull is from modelshipsahoy meshed with the BC fiberglass deck.

2. Nibbles1

Nibbles1 Well-Known Member

Ohhhhhh... I would like to see this hull...

3. nmmichris

nmmichris Member

So modelshipsahoy had requested I do a honest review of this hull and I apologize for the delay. RL gets in the way some times. So here is my honest review.

This fiberglass hull is very strong and thicker than other glass hulls I have observed. Some ships have thick side walls but leave the keel area thin and flimsy. That's not the case with this hull. The hull was trimmed very straight and the corners are sharp. This hull detailing in the hull to make it quick and easy to locate and drill the outboard prop shafts. Note: forgive me for not using proper nautical terminology as I am prior army so..... lol. The keel of this ship is also nice and straight. The hull quality overall is great in my opinion and wont take much work to finish the hull and make it pond worthy. I hate that I'm going to eventually cut holes in the sides but that's the nature of the game. I know big gun and fast gun might not be picky about little details but I look at things a bit differently. Perhaps I'll build a just scale model next time for show big battling is fun.
    Added pictures

Attached Files:

4. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I have a Ralph Coles Yamato Hull and basic Superstructure (made of fidberglase) and I did that .I took the fiberglass deck kit for their Yamato and installed it on the Raloh Cole Yamato hull . Some minor mods to get it to fit but it worked out well and I never looked back .

5. nmmichris

nmmichris Member

Soo havent posted in a long time. I do have the hull marked and windows cut. Have to take a few pics of the hull after holes were cut. As of the moment im working out big gun cannons for the ship. Have parts milled but have a couple things to fine tune. Will post more pics soon

Attached Files:

Mad_Modeller and NickMyers like this.
  6. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Very nice indeed.

7. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

FYI, the Tirpitz hulls sold by Model Ships Ahoy are also due to Ralph Coles' work. He sold the Tirpitz mold to MSA a few years ago.

8. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Yes I know.

9. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

Is the Iowa hull one of Ralph’s as well?

10. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Yes

Gettysburg114th likes this.
  11. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

The deck kit seems to fit the hull nicely . I thought about getting the same for mine.