Tirpitz build

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by joe thomer, Nov 20, 2011.

1. joe thomer

joe thomer Active Member

going to try 1 pump Large Pump with Stinger motor and water channeling. If trying to keep 6 guns working is to hard or the boat sinks to many times will change to two pumps and 5 unit guns. Not even sure how yet to make a 6 channel radio work with all these guns yet

2. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

From the 6 guns comment, I assume you are building to IRCWCC rules. :)

Two pairs of cannons will fire off the same channel, the other two singles off a second channel. One channel for rudder, and one channel for propulsion. That leaves 2 channels for the pump and something else.

3. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

You have 4 turrets and 4 stick directions on your non-throttle stick. Set it up so each direction controls the firing of a single turret and you're all done.

Also 1 pump is the right answer. :D I have a soapbox for pumps later.

4. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Your spare option could be used to activate your lights.

5. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Or the Abandon Ship alarm. ;)

6. joe thomer

joe thomer Active Member

yes IRCWCC rules..washington state
    now which turrets get two guns. the fwd two or the aft two turrets?
    also noticed a nice artical on adding buttons to your transmitter on the MWCI How-to web page.
    but, all one needs is 10 bucks a button...so 40 dollars to have push buttons.
    button would be great, but it all adds up:confused:

7. Renodemona

Renodemona Well-Known Member

Typically, IRC Bismarcks have dual sterns, stern sidemount, twin bow sidemounts in the raised forward turret, and bow sidemount in the front turret. Usually the twins go on the opposite side of the haymaker. Could go with 2 pumps, dual sterns, haymaker, 2 bow sidemounts.

8. jch72

jch72 Active Member

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
    You could install all 8 cannons and figure out which ones you want to use when Tweaking before battle. Works well for me.
    The 3 local Bismarcks around here are set up one side mount in each forward turret, then dual sterns in each aft turret angled 15 degrees out and with as much down angle as they can use.
    Ron Hunt.

9. NickMyers

No, no, no dual pumps. There's enough of that nonsense already.

10. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

almost any push button will work on the radio. I found some for $1 a piece and put them in and they have worked just fine.

11. Renodemona

Renodemona Well-Known Member

Enough....or not enough!? :)

12. joe thomer

joe thomer Active Member

nick,
    you mite not like the idea of two pumps, but when one thinks about it, making a pump work is much easier than making a cannon work and there is a lot more payoff, pumping water out.
    also, when you have 6 guns, not much difference to just have 5 guns. seems the best bang for the buck is a gun for a pump. Not sure what to due, but lots of good ideas from people. like the idea of two guns per turrett in the back and one gun per turret up front. but could have two guns per turret up front and one gun per turret aft. seems one would just have to try different configurations out as ya go and see what works best..

13. NickMyers

I would argue that there is much less payoff for a pump than a cannon. Again, I have a soapbox to stand on and preach about this later, maybe in the next few days, I don't want to derail your thread here.

14. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Just want to jump in with a few comments for thought.
    One of the strongest points for building a Bismarck is dual guns. Most ships have singles, Bis gets duals in IRC and should be exploited for your benefit. I have 7 full time cannons with one pinned. Any problems with a gun and I still have enough to fully arm the ship. Also if there is a problem with a dual gun turret, you are still able to protect that part of the ship.
    Dual pumps are ok but if you are in a point war, you can easily hand the allieds a victory by sucking up damage. As the winner of last years "swiss cheese" award, I can say that I watched that very carefully. (most damage with a sink). Dual pumps would be better served on a ship like Nagato that has poor damage control due to design if you had to have them.
    Ming is right about the bigger mount. I have replaced mine twice already. The screws will help but it still looks small. Also how is the motor attached? I know there are the tiny holes in the bottom for zip ties but I ended up with 2 3 inch hose clamps holding mine down.
    Lastly... Decks, sub decks and guns should be roughed in first. You are going to be amazed where things do NOT fit when it all comes together. There is a lot of important real estate in the back where that motor and shaft are. I had to leave my eighth gun out for that reason. (c turret has a single)
    It looks nice and clean so far, Nice build!

15. Hovey

Hovey Admiral (Supporter)

Here in Washington we dont do things normal like. We dont count points and we normally do nonstandard convoy runs somewhat similar to big gun. So there is a big advantage to having two pumps. I dont think we should allow multiple pumps but currently they are legal, however I do have an answer to them.

Getting back on subject. I think I would arm a bis with twin bow side mounts for hunting the poor little maru and singles in C and D turrets at 15 degrees off of center. This would give you a ton of firepower to hit along the waterline or below on an enemy and would minimize blind spots making you harder to approach safely. Also this means that you only have to fit singles in the more crowded stern area and twins go in the more spacious bow area, so layout would be easier.

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  16. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

I roomed with a Biz this past Nats and during the day I had to fight it and Stalnakers, so I have a good sampling of battles for the full week.
    The worst thing about attacking a Biz is that there are no "safe quadrants" to attack, she has guns in all directions. The haymaker in the
    stern is the most effective. You don't need two pumps in a Biz because who would want to take that much damage and still be floating?
    Set up all the available guns and pin the extras when you battle, easy and makes the enemy wonder which is the "hot" side.

17. joe thomer

joe thomer Active Member

gun layout: lots of great ideas, with that said, going with twin guns in fwd turrets, one gun in each aft turret and will try to buy one extra gun for aft turret so it is twins and have one gun pined at all times...for 6 guns operational and one pump. water channeling seems to be a must with one pump for sure.
    motor mount: Im sold on more reinforcing. it is a big engine with lots of toqure. will add screws from out site to mount, but will also look to add more support to motor. most likely will try to exopy in a fwd motor mount that takes two screws thru it and into the motor. two scews in the motor and two large zip ties should do the job.

iceman,
    you said you use couple hose clamps? did you have zip ties prior to the hose clamps and the zip ties just got torqued off by the motor?

18. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Zip ties loosened up allowing motor to flop about. When cruising at home for hours, the 970 generates quite a bit of heat. The plastic zip ties weren't up to that. It still gets warm but that's a work in progress for me. I will be trying 12v motors to combat that problem. There is a room issue in the rear of the ship. I wanted death Y 15' off the back but it got really crowded and heavy back there. There is a good deal of room in the front of the ship so shift all you can there. It will also balance out the back of the ship.

19. joe thomer

joe thomer Active Member

ok, I heeded the warning on the motor mount. added the motor mount that came with the kit, with some modifications and added bass wood common to the hull and bulkhead for more strength. expoyed in and all wood encapsulated in expoy. motor will be attached to the new bulkhead with two screws. the torque from the engine will be reacted by the bulkhead. the molded motor mount is now a secondary mount with clamp up..
    as far as guns and room in the back. looked at the plan and the the fwd aft turret is just behind the motor mount. the most aft turret is about over the shaft support. with the angel required to get the prop tucked under the hull and the diameter of the engine, the geometry drove the angle of the shaft. the shaft was long enought to get the motor in front of the C turret. the aft turret is about over the shaft support. will have to deal with this and see how it goes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. joe thomer

joe thomer Active Member

vertical pieces cut to fit sub deck. sub deck ready to expoy in

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]