Tirpitz build

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by joe thomer, Nov 20, 2011.

1. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Great work so far. Iceman and I have teamed up our Bismarcks back in 2010 and our arrangements though slightly different worked very well for both of us. For Iceman he was more aggressive and used his dual sidemounts for that purpose. I more or less used mine defensively and ended up using my stern sidemount and single stern gun offensively and defensively. We both had a Death Y setup that is his D turret was slightly pointing away from the stern center line to port. He had a Dual setup there. I did the same but with a single cannon. I used my C turret as a stern sidemount but angled way back to keep it in line with the stern quadrants leading edge . It was a very short range steep down angle. Both of these cannons worked great against the hungry Sodaks and North Carolinas. The Dual sidemounts were great at opening up major holes on the enemy. The Bismarck is a great ship for options and flexibility. My Bismarck has a similiar mount to yours but larger to accomodate the 970 Motor. When you do screw the motor to the mount make sure you have a space between the front of motor and the wood plate to allow air to flow into the front of the motor. It an get very hot there . You can use sections of rubber or wood as long as it can't melt. I love that deck kit. Wish I had one in my Bismarck and Tirpitz.

2. joe thomer

joe thomer Active Member

thx nikki
    Stokamoto and iceman,
    I think I understand the stern set up, death Y, but if you have a pictures of this, would you guys mind posting them? it would be very helpfully
    engine mount: yes, will add in a spacer or washers to get the engine away from the aft mount...thx
    deck kit I think is new, one peice sub deck from strike models. alex in our club has a bismark also and from strike models, but he built it a few years back and has the older deck kit, not one piece. probably similar to what you guys have would guess..

3. joe thomer

joe thomer Active Member

locating the turrets per plans and a little eye site. looks like the aft turret C will work ok, just behind the engine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Renodemona

Renodemona Well-Known Member

Looks good.

5. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

I like the way your motor tucks under the sub deck crossbrace. That was good locating! I have a few shots of the death y. Some have called my ship "the porcupine" cause guns stick out every end...
    Nice job on the motor mount. That ought to be a lot better.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. rstalnaker

rstalnaker Member

I'm happy with my setup, just going to drop about 3 pounds off her and replace the motor setup this winter.

7. rstalnaker

rstalnaker Member

PS: Motor location is exactly where mine is as well, just forward of C turret. That is where I have the Aluminum Cross Brace mounted

8. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  9. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

10. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

11. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

That last pic was from 2005. Singel sidemounts. Single haymaker port side and dual sterns. When I first built the model waaay back in 93 it had only 4 cannons all coils.

12. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    This picture dates back to Pre Cannats days . 1997. Bismarck sank HMS Courageous. The cannon configuration you can see is a bow cannon starboard just 15 degrees off the centerline at the bow. A single sidemount port. A single sidemount starboard quarter aft and dual sterns dead astern. As you can see this Bismarck has had different configurations.

13. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

14. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Hope that helps.

15. joe thomer

joe thomer Active Member

thx you guys, yes that helps a lot. a picture is worth a 1,000 words.
    the death Y, yes it is very clear now.
    looks like stokamoto has A and B turrret with twin guns...and singles in turret C and D, in a death Y.
    looks like iceman has A and B turret with twin guns...and turret C and D with twin guns, in a death Y. so two guns must be non operational after you decide which ones
    Batterys, you guys using Sealed Lead acid, 6 volts, 12 amps. may be three or four in the boat?
    or you running the newer Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4)?

16. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I am running 2 6v12amphr connected in pararrell for 6v 24amphrs.They are Panasonic SLAs.

17. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

I am running the same batteries. I may switch to 12V (project in progress) but will continue to use sla's, maybe in series or 12v. The boat has the weight for it. Mine's a bit lighter than it's loaded heavy weight all packed out. Pump on dual 7.2 nhims.

18. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

So is mine Iceman. I was thinking of hooking up 7.2 packs for the pump as well.

19. rstalnaker

rstalnaker Member

I run a 7.2V 40ah LiFePO4 Block and can run all day. I use about 15-16ah for a (3) Sortie Battle if I run the pump continuously and chasing ships. 7.2V runs everything.

20. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

How did you manage to get a 7.2V lifepo4 battery?