Tirpitz build

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by joe thomer, Nov 20, 2011.

1. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

We wouldn't, but this was a discussion about what the rules do and do not say. So I duly pointed out that there is no minimum to go with the maximum and that the rules merely require that a prop or drag be present.

2. joe thomer

joe thomer Active Member

ok, no min or max on drag props.
    everybody saying the bigger the drag prop the easeir to turn, will have to try that out with different size disks. also would think drag disks would slow down the acceleration, take longer to get up to speed. sounds like a fun run day to tryout different combos, for somethiing to do.

3. rstalnaker

rstalnaker Member

The Max Size can be no larger than Main Drive Props So, yes there is a limit to the Drag Disks

4. jch72

jch72 Active Member

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
    Drag disks actually help acceleration as well as turning. The drag increases from 0 at a rate proportional to the square of the ships speed. Since the maximum speed is limited (24 sec / 100' in the case of the Bismarck), and with a drag disk you need more thrust to make speed, the acceleration at lower speeds is improved significantly because the drag disks do not produce much drag at low speeds.
    Ron Hunt

5. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Running a 970 on 6 volt system. I found I had to run very small disks to make speed. You might not need as big discs as you think. Plus everybody worries about speed when building. There will be plenty of time for that when the ship hits the water.

6. joe thomer

joe thomer Active Member

what diameter disks do you have on you bismark now?

7. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I found the opposite on my Bismarck than I Icemans . Particular at IRCWCC NATS 2010 where I had started with a small propeller blade1.25 in dia 35 pitch on the 970 motor.I had just the 1 .25 inch drag props. The speed was 22 seconds. Tried a 1.75 drag disc still too fast at 23. Finally switched to the 2.5 inch prop and 1.75 drag discs brought my speed down to 24 seconds. I think my new drag discs currently on Bismarck are1.75 , smaller than the 2.5 in prop. It should bring the speed down. My Missouri at 41 lbs with 2 in props 4 blade 25 pitch the model ran 23 seconds with 1.5 in dia drag discs. I figure increasing the disks to 1.75 dia should work to knock off another second.

Make the discs larger and make a couple more spares each one smaller than the next. Makes swapping out easier for testing.

8. joe thomer

joe thomer Active Member

sounds like every boat is a little different, due to prop size and possibly drap prop size and location.
    sodered on a couple nuts on the drag shafts, this should allow for ease of changing disks out to see what combo works best.
    would have had drag shafts installed this weeked, but structs will not be here until tommorrow.

[​IMG]

9. moose421

moose421 Member

I don't know if you are going to run under MWC, but if you do you will need some kind of prop with the drag disk to be legal at NAT's. I got a chit for not having a prop with my drag disk. I just had the drag disks.

Kim

10. joe thomer

joe thomer Active Member

I think we are under IRCWCC

11. joe thomer

joe thomer Active Member

Installing the drap shafts
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

did my best to line up the shafts, looked good from outside, but inside, little off.[​IMG]

12. Hovey

Hovey Admiral (Supporter)

yep, IRCWCC ruleset. Just need a disk.

13. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

The pics above didn't come through for me. Anyone else?

14. joe thomer

joe thomer Active Member

all the pics, or just the latest.
    I have had that problem with other threads too, but they came thru for me today

15. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I updated my video drivers, restarted the computer, and I'm getting them now. Must've been me today :)

Looking good, I like the way you connected the stringers to the subdecks.

16. joe thomer

joe thomer Active Member

installing rudders, first pick, rudders are further down than picture shows

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Looks Great. Your ship should turn very very well.

18. joe thomer

joe thomer Active Member

port drag shaft off 1/4 inch, looks more, I can never get it exact and when I try to, it even gets worse.
    thinking of using the pink insullation. one of the guys in our club used concrete self leveling sealant. have seen this in boats to, but the foam seens to be easy to change. were the self leveling sealent looks to be labor intensive if you need to change it. I'm sure I will need too, hard to get everything right first time.

19. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Looking good, real glad to see you going with gears.

I wouldnt worry about the drags being a little off.

20. Hovey

Hovey Admiral (Supporter)

Hmm, looking good enough to cause me some concern (unless you are on my team).

How well do those gears work? The last round of those I tried meshed extremely poorly even after I cleaned them up with a file.