Tool's

Discussion in 'General' started by Powder Monkey, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

Has any one used or researched the CB6Y 10" Tilting Body Band Saw thinking of getting one[:p]

2. klibben

klibben Member

what brand? I have the new craftsman and love it....

3. Powder Monkey

opps Hitachi

by the by what crafstman do you have?

4. klibben

klibben Member

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00921400000P?vName=Tools&cName=Bench+Power+Tools&sName=Band+Saws

5. Powder Monkey

got the crafstman 10 it is great thanks

6. klibben

klibben Member

yup, the only thing i've had problems with is switching blades, its a real pain in the butt when you go from a large wood blade to a tiny metal blade - took me nearly an hour to get it on right since there are no locking mechanisms on the wheels.

7. Powder Monkey

well lets hope I dont need to do that

8. klibben

klibben Member

you shouldn't need to cut metal, at least not often, and often you can use a hand saw or a dremel.

I only used the band saw because i was cutting lots and los of itsy bitsy teeny weeny pieces for AA guns...

9. Powder Monkey

DO YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH DUST FROM THIS HAVE IT HOOKED UP TO MACHEIN BUT THE DUST GOSE EVERY WHERE ?

10. klibben

klibben Member

In general no, the dust isn't much of a problem for me, it most all goes down into the lower wheel-house. However the other weekend when we cut out a hull in blue foam the dust was pretty annoying! Do you have the right sized head for the shop-vac? I still haven't hooked mine up since its not been too big of a deal.

11. Powder Monkey

yes i do but the gap between the wheel house and the table is big and 3/4 of it goes all over

12. Powder Monkey

what size blade you useing I still have the stock one on maybe thats why preety big teeth

13. klibben

klibben Member

The stock is good depending what you're using it for - but especially for straight cuts of most sizes.

I bought a 3 pack at Sears because i needed to cut metal - unfortunately they didn't have and blades for our saw (but all the others) designed to cut metal, but in the 3 pack there was one with 18 tpi (i think, something like that) and rather thin, only like a 1/4 or 1/8 inch. It's meant for curved cuts into wood (which after cutting out my gun barrels, i used it for on ribs).

14. Powder Monkey

That’s weird that on my machine even with the vacuum on most of my sawdust ends up on the workbench and on top of the machine and yours doesn’t hummmmm

I’m going to try cutting a can and wrapping it around the blade area under the table see how that works

15. klibben

klibben Member

Make sure your shop vac is on suck, and not blow!

try cutting without the shop vac, you can always just suck it all up after your done cutting.

16. Powder Monkey

Dam that’s what I did wrong it was the Tim Taylor upgrade I added. I put the flux capacitater in backwards and to the left of the canuta valve thanks for showing me the error of my ways I'm eternally in your debit .

done that it is even worse

17. Powder Monkey

okay problem solved a little duct tape around a can cut to fit under the table and around the blade and bang no more dust can actually see big chunks getting pulled down oh yes and I adjusted the flux capacitater with my left handed monkey wrench

18. klibben

klibben Member

Hey, glad to have been able to help!

I like your can idea, i may just have to steal that myself!

19. Powder Monkey

LOL no problem just hurry up I have PAT pending

Can didn’t work that well till I sealed it with tape now it sucks like an axis ship going to the bottom so swim away fast ;-)

20. klibben

klibben Member

So wait, how do you have this... you have a can but you also have a shopvac hooked up? how?