Torpedo Design Thread

Discussion in 'Weapons & Pneumatics' started by JustinScott, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

Just happen to run across this: ( Iwonder if it can be powered with an "AAA" Battery?)

Want to build something itty bitty? Try these: Just 0.158" diameter and an overall length of 0.74" with an output shaft diameter of 0.026".

Performance at 1.5V is 12.4mA unloaded (36.8 mA stall) at 10,100 RPM. At 3V, current is 17.6mA free (73mA stall) at 20300RPM! And just for fun, 5V give 20.3mA free (117mA stall) at 32,500RPM!
    [​IMG]

2. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

Holy crap! That's small! Where did you find it?

3. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

I've got a couple of similar motors that came from the tail rotors on the tiny IR controlled helicopters.... Not sure if they are the same, but they are similar in size...

4. totaldestruction

totaldestruction Active Member

i had an idea! what if you used the water pushed out of ballast tanks to propel the torps out of the sub? then usefull air could be saved for filling the ballast tanks!

5. totaldestruction

hmm. nice idea and if the batteries would fit yes... but if you did that woudlnt it run accross the pond?be fun to look for them :p

6. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Are these things going to move fast enough to actually penetrate a hull?

7. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

I suspect that it would not be able to penetrate the hull.
    But what if the warhead was compressed on a spring so that as soon as it hit something the warhead would fired forward with enough force to make a hole.

It the could be made bouyant enough to sail around at just below the surface...
    They could be recovered, reset and launched again in the next battle.

I can picture some interesting evasive action by ships in their attemp to avoid being hit.

My other thought is that this would be great for small torpedo armed ships.
    They would just drop the torp over the side instead of needing a heavy CO2 system!

8. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

i like the simple idea of a 1/4" bearing with a hollow rod attached to it . the rod fills with CO2 or w/e ur using, and ive heard u can get good under-the-water-line hits at ranges of 5 to 10 feet. But dropping them over the side seems like a good idea too.
    Maybe im missing the idea, is it for long range torpedoes? in larger scale?

9. totaldestruction

well in 1/144 scale or even 1/96 torps are very small
    subs are prettymuch impossible in 1/144 and would still be hard in 1/96. i dont think torpedoes would be long range.....

10. totaldestruction

well in 1/144 scale or even 1/96 torps are very small
    subs are prettymuch impossible in 1/144 and would still be hard in 1/96. i dont think torpedoes would be long range.....

11. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

with a motor they could be long"er" range. instead of a few feet, maybe 10 or 15. and in 1/96th scale, they are .25" still, so there's so difference there. it would make subs more combative, as opposed to the interesting project that works but cant fight as it is now.

12. totaldestruction

well 1/96 actually lets you do 1/4 torpedoes for the sake of usuabillity. motors would have longer range but power would be an issue...
    and then of course there is the problem of the actual sub, i mean not like they are that big unfortunatly.....

13. totaldestruction

I was thinking, since batteries are too large to it in small torps with motors, why not use small capcitors that are recharged while sitting in the launcher? :D?
    I mean, you have to explore every possibility to really get torpedoes feasible. espcially in small scales and with no explosives. thats all I can think of for now.

14. GregMcFadden

I built a small capacitor motor controller about a year and a half ago using supercaps. the supercaps are NOT conveniently sized, but it did maintain a fairly constant motor speed using only the ~3V cap if I remember correctly, capacitor and a bit of tiny hardware and one of the 12F series pic chips.... whole board was ~.3" X 1" or so, but I have not played with it in a while. it can be done, I should dig up the code and schematic for it so someone else can play with it...

-Greg

15. totaldestruction

That could be usefull...
    though, I realized that if you miss in a large lake or other battle zone, you could have your torps gone forever as they speed off into the distance.

16. GregMcFadden

not probable, as the caps that would fit in the torps really don't have that much energy. ten -20 feet is probably all one would get. even considering that, a cutoff after a certain amount of time would be easy to do in a motor controller

17. totaldestruction

Hmmm. That would be quite convient. :D
    perhaps torpedoes could be possible. They would have to be packing a punch though, since putting torps in is supposedly hard enough, and no reloading system exsists to my knowlegde. Not to mention subs dont have a billion torpedo tubes.

18. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

I am not sure if this was mentioned but I had thought it about it for a while. I used to have an estes rocket car in the late 70's. It used an aluminum rocket engine/tank with nothing but a hole on the end. The tires were foam, the body was lexan. I dont remember the car frame but it was super light.

There was a cardboard blast shield that you slid over the plastic pipe of a propellant can. Then you stick the pipe in the tank fill it up and (i dont remember this for sure) you either let go of the car and it took off or just pulled out the plastic pipe, or it took off when enough pressure had built up to push it off the plastic pipe.

Seems like with a solenoid you could fill a small cylinder of nearly any size and just have a second switch or magnet or whatever holding it in place. Release the second switch and it takes off. then just slide it back on the filling needle/pipe hit the switch to hold it in place and/or cock the holder.

It was so easy before and it was small enough that it did just take off on its own that easily

Anybody else have that car?

19. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

No, but I wish I did. Estes stuff back in those days sounds a lot more fun than the cheesy stuff they make now.

I've been looking for a rocket-boosted r/c glider kit they used to make.

20. burnzy232

burnzy232 Member

i have an idea, instead of having the power supply on the torp, you could have wires(very very thin wires) that supply the torps with power from the sub or ship, sort of like a fly by wire or rather a float by wire missle, and it will also insure that they only go a certain distance if a rule is put on the distance they can go.
    so what would happen is the torp would launch then hit(or miss) whatever its aimed at then the wires would detach from the torp, torp stops so you can retreve it, and then somehow the wires would be drawn back into the ship or sub, although i dont know where you would find wire thin enough not to effect the torp when its is the water, or how to wind the wires back in when they detatch