Torpedo Design Thread

Discussion in 'Weapons & Pneumatics' started by JustinScott, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

OPSS

Forgot to add that the rod under the torpedo is both the trigger for the piston release and the ballast to hold the torpedo just below the waterline.

2. Knight4hire

I see that Ii also dId not state that the propellent is a crushed Alka-Seltzer tablet

3. totaldestruction

totaldestruction Active Member

I know this is a late reply, but I think another hole would have to be drilled for the torps alka selt engine. the bubbles and water would be fighting to go in/out the nozzle which could in effect limit its effectiveness. of course you may have already discovered this, since it has been awhile.

4. Knight4hire

I have been out of the country for a while, and have not had a chance to play, I mean work on this project.

5. iamscottym

iamscottym Member

Hi all, I've been away from naval combat for a while, too busy finishing school. I was here when this thread started and I'm finally back. Has anyone else seen all the tiny lipo cells that have come on the market? I've got some 120-160mAh cells for micro planes that would be just the ticket for an electric torp. Hobbyking has also got some seriously tiny brushless motors that would provide way more kick than an ungeared pager motor. I'll see about CADing up some ideas and see where we stand on size. Maybe we can get greg interested again.

6. Dragoby

Dragoby New Member

Im Fairly new to RC naval Combat but I had a suggestion for making small props. You would just need some basic mold making skills. You just have to make a mold of a normal model prop then cast a geleton model of it and let it dry out and it will shrink. Depending on your water to geleton ratio the molded prop will shrink differently, then just remold the smaller prop then you can make as many as you want.

Just a Suggestion

7. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Or you could use a 3d printer. Lots of options there. The biggest challenge is making a torpedo that's combat-effective, cost-effective, time-effective, and balanced for gameplay. Fall short in any one of those categories and it won't be adopted by the hobby.

8. Cruiserbecruising

Cruiserbecruising New Member

Interesting, interesting.....I like the idea of the torpedo, but how does the Ball Bearing launch? It does look very simple, and pretty cheap. If completed, what does it sell for? $5 a piece or less?

Been a long time since someone has posted here......

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"????????????? ???????? ??????????."