Torpedo questions...

Discussion in 'Southeast Attack Squadron' started by pew-pew-pew, Apr 20, 2007.

1. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

[blue] well if ( and when ) i try to start a club in miami. i wanted to change the rules slightly. for example: the club onlt alows one moving turret and two torpedo tubes... but how exactly to you buy/build a torpedo launcher?

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

For torps, you're going to have to build your own. Also, most of the ships that would benefit from them (destroyers and light cruisers) would be hard-pressed to find room for them. I don't think they'd be hard to build, I think they'd be hard to fit in, both space and weight-wise.

3. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I would recommend that you avoid changing the rules if you're using Fast Gun rules. The reason is that in a few years, you will be able to drive and visit other clubs. When you do, you'll want your ship to be compliant with their rules, especially if you attend the Nat's. People probably wouldn't be too thrilled if you show up to the Nat's with a cruiser firing heavy-caliber torpedoes.

If you really do want torpedoes, you have to build your own. I spent a good month designing the torpedoes in my Spahkreuzer, and then a week actually building and installing them. By the time they were done, I had used more specialized tools than I care to remember, and spent at least $50 on raw materials. It is possible to build torpedo cannons with just a dremel, drill press, and some parts from a hardware store, but the results are not as nice.
    My torpedoes:
    http://www.westernwarshipcombat.com/gallery/album58/IMG_7635
    What they do:
    http://www.westernwarshipcombat.com/gallery/album58/IMG_7670
    http://www.westernwarshipcombat.com/gallery/album58/IMG_7698
    http://www.westernwarshipcombat.com/gallery/album58/IMG_8002
    http://www.westernwarshipcombat.com/gallery/album60/Battle_051

4. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

well are torps aloud in the MWC? says nothing about them in the limitations on the RC naval combat page

5. JasonC

JasonC Active Member

i would say that it is problay best if you were to read the rules http://www.modelwarshipcombat.org/rules.shtml i thikn that is the right set of rules to read i know its long but i will give u a better idea of how it all works

6. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

well.. can i have my own club and allow torps? and when i go to a SAS battle, just not use them?

7. Kotori87

There is absolutely nothing to prevent you from doing just that. If you're starting your own club, you can write the rules, and allow torps, large caliber cannons, whatever you want. However, it would not be easy. As I said before,

To build a decent torpedo cannon, you need a machine shop with a lathe. It's also highly recommended that you have a milling machine as well. These tools are very expensive and require training to use. If you really want to, go ahead, but I would recommend against it.

8. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

well my dad works with lots of tools. ive talked to him and he knows how to use those tools... and aperantly we have some at home... and even if i would to join two clubs, can i go to one and just not use my torpedos?

9. Kotori87

Tools are good :)
    There's nothing wrong with attending another club and just disabling extra guns. They may want you to demonstrate that the torpedoes are successfully disabled, but other than that you should be fine.
    Although, I don't remember the USS South Dakota having torpedoes...

10. Tugboat

As far as disabling weapons goes, every weapon on a ship (for MWCI) is required to have a "saftey pin" that goes thru the barrel of the weapon. So if the tubes had safety pins installed, then it'd probably be okay.

But as Carl points out, I don't think the SoDak had torpedoes.

11. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

Hmm... ill have to look into the south dakota and NC for torps...

12. Tugboat

I'll save you some time, neither of them had torps. If you want torps on a battleship, some WW1 battleships had them, and the DKM Tirpitz (Bismarck's sister ship) in WW2 had them.

13. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

DKM is... german right? ive never heard of those ships before

14. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

another thing... any ships that had torps that they sell at battlers connection? ( i want to make my first build simple insted of scratch building )

15. Tugboat

Simple would be straight MWCI rules, and then adding torps later :) But most of the cruisers carried torps.

The SMS Koenig had 5 torps, she's 5 units, but speed 28.
    SMS Scharnhorst had 4 torps, but only 2.5 units, speed 26.

The Andrea Doria had 3 torps, 4.5 units, speed 26 sec. (Italian navy)
    Capitani Romani cruisers had 8 torps, but they are LITTLE DINKY and would not be able to hold them in scale.

The French Suffren class has 8 torpedo tubes...

16. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

so.. would a torpedoe tube count as a unit?

17. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

And i think i might have my club rules already... say... once the club get advanced i could do all ships have the standard amount of units and only be able to have half or less torps than the ship had?... ( Ha Ha Ha! Dinky, i like that word )

18. Kotori87

Here's a few more ships available from Battler's Connection that carry torpedoes:
    USS Atlanta- 8 torpedoes
    DKM Scharnhorst (WWII battleship)- 6 torpedoes
    DKM Z-30- 8 torpedoes
    DKM Koln- 12 torpedoes
    RM Attilio Regolo (Capitani Romani)- 8 torpedoes

I would recommend against allowing all ships to arm 50% of torpedoes without changing their unit value. Torpedoes were not considered when determining unit value of small ships, otherwise the Japanese light cruisers Kitakami and Oi (40 type 93 "Long Lance" torpedoes split 20 per side) would have a much higher rating. Also, use of torpedoes dramatically changes game balance. They pack a lot of firepower into a single bang, which makes torpedo-armed ships devastating capital-ship killers. Lastly, torpedoes really don't belong on anything bigger than a Heavy Cruiser, and even heavy cruisers are pushing it. Little ships need the firepower to have an impact on the battlefield, but big ships already have a lot of firepower, so adding torpedoes is just extra complexity.

19. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

Hmm... SO why did the Adndre Doria have torps? Even though its a battleship, its got weak cannons.

20. Tugboat

Because the Italians didn't build anything normally :)