Torpedo's

Discussion in 'Weapons & Pneumatics' started by WaterSide, May 19, 2011.

1. WaterSide

WaterSide Member

As I am new and doing a whole lotta data and information gathering . I got to thinking . Why do the torpedos not have any type of Height adjustment. Correct me if I am wrong , but dont the torpedos have a "sweet spot" when firing at a target . It seems that you have to be in the right distance , not to far and not too close to the ship your targeting, If the torpedo tubes were able to adjust thier angle a bit 1/4 or 3/8 of an inch while not being able to reach a horizontal position would give them a larger area to work with .
    WaterSide

2. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Welcome to RC Naval Combat. :)

Not sure exactly what you are meaning here. If it is in regards to the Torpedo guns in the Big Gun format, I imagine someone has tried a controlled elevation one time or other and found it wanting.

The answer might be simplier: Big Guns rules may prohibit an elevation control for safety or perhaps playability. I'm sure a Big Gun Captain can chime in with a better answer. :)

3. WaterSide

WaterSide Member

Yes , Im looing for Big Gun information , I should have been specific. Torpedoes are the same size as the Large cannons , but only having a small range to fire , While the torpedoes cannot be Aimed or rotated . Perhaps Kitori will be able to answer , hes got the Spahkreuzer i'd like to build.

On the other side of the coin, I can see how it would make Destroyers almost too strong being able to shoot a longer distance. I am only talking a small window of elevation being available

4. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard, Waterside! To answer your question, there is no prohibition against depression mechanisms on Big Gun torpedoes. The reason nobody includes them is simple: torpedo-boats live and die by simplicity, and depression systems are complex. A torpedo-boat is designed from the ground up to be the most low-maintenance boat possible. It sacrifices Co2 system, reloading, and sometimes even bilge pump in the quest for simplicity and reliability. To add a depression system would be counter-productive.

There is also a tactical reason. If your torpedoes are set at a fixed angle, you can practice with them and get very good at eyeballing the correct distance for a killer hit. This is called a high-probability kill shot, and it is one of the reasons torpedo-boats are so deadly. Battleships use depression systems because they have reloading guns with lots of ammunition. They can afford to set their depression, fire a shot, adjust their depression, and try again. This gives them much more versatility, but each individual shot has a much lower probability of hitting. Since torpedo-boats only get one shot, they absolutely have to make that one shot count. And fixed-angle guns have proven, time and time again, to have a much higher probability of hitting than variable-depression guns.

5. WaterSide

WaterSide Member

Kotori, thank you for the information . I also assumed that the Destroyers had a Co2 systems with the capability to reload itself . Are there torpedo systems that have this capability ?
    Im looking for every bit of inforamtion that anyone is willing to offer .

6. Kotori87

Hi Waterside,

yes there are reloading torpedo systems with CO2 power. They are not common, however, due to the extra expense and extra complexity. As I mentioned earlier, simplicity and reliability are the watchwords of the torpedo-boat. I have actually seen some people remove a reloading mechanism and associated plumbing to improve their reliability. There are certainly advantages to a reloading mechanism, but by the time you add up the complexity and expense of reloading torpedoes in a destroyer or cruiser, you'd be looking at the same cost and complexity for a battleship. And a battleship is a whole lot more combat-effective and fun than a reloading torpedo-boat.

7. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

Of course, having a battleship with torpedoes is a whole lotta fun too.

TorpCruiser likes this.
  8. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

Has anyone had any sucess with an Arizona cannon setup to fire two 1/4" per barrel. It seems to me that just adjusting the Breech to magazine inlet spacing would give you a pretty simple reload

9. Kotori87

I have used a single-barrel non-reloading cannon to fire two balls, three balls, and even four balls. I believe a reloading Arizona-style cannon can be made to fire multiple balls simply by adjusting the breech deeper by the size of one (or two) balls, allowing two or three balls to drop in. I have not tried this, however my shopmaster accidentally duplicated the effect many years ago when he first learned how to build Arizona cannons.

He has said that the hobby would be much easier to enter if we allowed ships to arm single-barrel cannons firing multiple balls. A pocket battleship with two rotating single-barrel cannons firing three 7/32" balls each would certainly be much easier and cheaper to build than a pocket battleship with two rotating triple-barrel cannons. Especially now, with no commercially-available Big Gun cannons. Once Strike starts producing, I think that will change though.

10. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

Carl, thanks.
    I specifically wanted to hear from a WWCC or NTXBG member. The rules allow one barrel to simulate multiple torpedo launchers with altered ROF restrictions because of the single barrel. Location and elevation must be scale also. The Arizona design requires very little fabrication, the parts are "off-the-shelf", and it seems to be a rock-solid design as far as reliability goes.

11. Kotori87

Indeed the multi-ball Arizona cannon has a lot of potential. Unfortunately a lot of WWCCers were leery of such a major change, so my shopmaster and I limited our proposal to torpedoes, knowing that there were enough people interested in that part to pass a vote.

12. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

Ok, the info I have is a Clippard 15006-1 coming out of the MJV-2 exhaust port to the breach. Part 15006-1 is not found in the online catalouge, However, I do want remote accumulators. Assuming 1/8" line & fittings between the MJV-2 and breech, how do you connect the 1/4" ID breech to the supply line?

13. Kotori87

I'm having a hard time visualizing the setup you're describing. What is clippard part 15006-1? Is it an air nipple? a swivel fitting? an adapter? If possible, can you draw a diagram to show what you're planning?

I think I should warn you against using remote accumulators. If you use them, you will take a huge penalty on the efficiency of your guns. All the empty space of the line between MJV and breech simply sucks up large parts of your pressure, so you have to use even bigger accumulators to compensate. This will ultimately use more CO2 per shot, reducing the number of shots you will be able to take. Unless you're planning a shore-based air compressor to power your guns. At that point, anything goes because air from a compressor is cheap.

14. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

I am using the RCNC knowledge-base article titled "Arizona Gun System" by Donny Ciccimaro, posted by Jeff Burns. 15006-1 is a 1/8 NPT to 10-32 adapter. Strike has them (well a male 1/8 to female 10-32), but I do not understand how this part connects to the breach-tube-thingy. Output from the MJV-2 goes to ?? which connects to K&S 1/4" ID brass tubing for the breech. OR 1/8" NPT "T" drilled out with Part #?? to connect the riser and/or magazine.
    About the remote accumulators: I am trying to fit four armed dual turrets (see Battlestations Shipyard thread in photos) into a 1/96 Mogador with a 7oz tank, while making allowances for rotation servos at the bow & stern--with a scale hullform. Torpedoes would make this an exceptionally fun ship, IMHO. I may not be able to put the accumulators where I would prefer.

15. Kotori87

Ah, OK I get it now. The diagram is for a .177" cannon, so the builder simply took a 1/8NPT to 1/8"ID air line fitting, and soldered a 3/16" ID brass tube over it. Very crude, but functional if you don't have good tools. An easier solution is to use a plumbing T fitting, with 1/8NPT male threads on the bottom and 1/4" compression fittings on the top and side. You can see an example of that here:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Speaking of tools, what sort of tools do you have access to? I do not believe that the traditional Arizona cannon will work well for you, since Arizona cannons are single-barrel only and the Mogador has twin turrets. Plus you want rotation, so placing two Arizona cannons side-by-side simply will not suffice. If you have access to a decent lathe, you can make a really nice set of rotating cannons just like my laser-cut cannons, except in .177" caliber. You would need a lathe capable of grabbing up to a 1" diameter brass part, and a 1/8NPT tap and die.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TorpCruiser likes this.
  16. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

17. Kotori87

ok. Well in that case... keep in mind that the MJV-2 valve only flows enough air for one barrel. how many torpedoes per side do you want to fire?

18. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

One. With enough reloads to simulate a launcher.

19. Kotori87

In that case it is very simple. You can build your own breech using the same technique as the plans you have. You will just be using 1/4" ID brass tubing instead of 3/16" ID, and you will need to get 1/8NPT threads on the bottom somehow. You could build up layers of brass tubing then cut threads with a die, or you could chop off the threaded end of some 1/8"NPT fitting and solder that on. The specifics don't matter so long as it gets there in the end.

20. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

One more question: does the feed tube/magazine need to be sealed like a fast gun magazine or will putting a pin in suffice?