Tramp Steamer hull or equivalent

Discussion in 'Construction' started by Windrider0275, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Windrider0275

Windrider0275 Member

Hey all,
    I want to purchase a small tramp steamer to build up for convoy duty. I had seen the 'John Oxley' on the Browning Shipyards page and have tried to contact them, but have had no response to my e-mails. So my question is, where else can I get one of these fiberglass hulls besides at the aussie site? Also, are there additional hulls in the same size of this tramp steamer around? I like the Oxley as she is perty' small.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Steve

2. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

I don't know the story behind Bowning Shipyards, but this place seems to have much the same selection:

http://www.geocities.com/dreadnoughthulls/

John Oxley is not in their list but there are some other small freighters like the Hog Islander and Wollongbar.

3. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Michael Raue of Dreadnoughthulls has taken over most of the moulds from Browning, contact him, he usually answers back within a few days.
    Brett of Browning had some kind of health issues I was told.

4. Windrider0275

Windrider0275 Member

Thanks for the info guys!
    Steve

5. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

If you buy something, I hope you'll post a comment about the quality of the hull and purchase process. I'm curious what the Dreadnought stuff is like.

6. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Windrider, I have a plastic hull that I've wanted to convert for combat duty. Only problem was I couldn't find a way to strengthen the plastic so the ribs wouldn't shatter on impact. The ship is 14" long, about 2" wide. I also have plans for a 17" transport, the BLT. There is already a BLT in service, so you *may* be able to purchase that (if you don't want to build). And, as I have mentioned earlier, there is also my own tramp steamer.

7. Windrider0275

Windrider0275 Member

Carl,
    I do want to run your tramp steamer this year for some service points. And if Ami comes out, maybe she could run that too. I was also going to ask to borrow your plans for the boat and build the hull like you and Eric did, but with a fiberglass hull, I'll have it in the water much sooner.
    I have exchanged e-mails with Michael at Dreadnaughts and am probably going to purchase the USS Hog Island for convoy. We will see how it goes and i will post some feedback on the topic.
    Steve :D

8. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Battler's connection also has the Liberty hull.

http://battlersconnection.com/html/LibertyShip.htm

9. wrenow

wrenow RIP

I have a Bowning John Oxley hull and a Royal Oak II hull. The Oxley hull is a pretty tough build, as there is not a lot of room, but is doable. The Royal Oak is a bit easier, but still tight. Dreadnaughthulls has a Hog Islander that is pretty equivalent. A Liberty is absolutely spacious in comparison with these "bitty boats."

Cheers,

Wreno

10. Windrider0275

Windrider0275 Member

Wreno,

I have been in contact with Dreadnaughts and am going with the Hog islander hull. He has been very responsive and the hull is $70.00 US with n$35.00 shipping. It comes in below the length that needs to be cut for sending through the parcel post.

And I like to build small and though the small tramp might "sneak" by some of the BBs in the club. Or...the big guns will sink it in a heartbeat! haaaaaaaa

Steve

11. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Steve, that Hog Islander is pretty similar to my little tramp. If you build it and handle it anywhere near as well as mine, the battleships will have a hard time simply touching something penetrable. The only reliable way they found to sink my ship was to run it over, 'cause Dave's compact super-pump could keep it afloat with an absurd amount of damage. As it was, even ramming wasn't a guaranteed kill: they had to roll the ship more than 90 degrees over to make sure it didn't come back.

12. Windrider0275

Windrider0275 Member

Carl,
    Yes, I think the Hog Islander should be a good choice too. And I will make her as "waterproof as possible! And I know how making sure that the deck is sealed IS important when a small ship is being used. I remember a guy who had a small Swedish coastal battleship in the fast gun club and it was really low in the water and not sealed very well. He liked to slide up to your stern and "herd" the other boats so it couldn't turn. He did that a few times until another captain just "pushed" back and turned him over and swamped him. He never used that tactic again and he sealed his decks much better after that. :cry:
    I will show you the hull when I get it, before the May event, and start on it the first part of June. :cool:
    Steve :laugh:

13. Windrider0275

Windrider0275 Member

I placed an order for the USS Hog Islander cargo hull and paid with my Pay pal account. The order arrived from Australia within seven days! That is pretty good as Michael from Dreadnaught hulls told me it coulod take a couple of weeks.It was packed extremely well and arrived intact and no damage to the hull. The hull was well made and the plans were easy to read for building her superstructure. Michael even included some fiberglass if I wanted to use it for the deck.
    All in all, I think it it was a great transaction and very good communication and customer service by Dreadnaughts. If you are planning to order a hull, remember that the larger combat hulls have to be cut in half for shipping, but he has a re-connection kit that he states is easyto use. And don't forget that the US dollar is at a higher rate then the Ausie dollar right nowand Paypal can do the exchange rate for the transaction.
    Steve :cool:

14. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

Good to hear it went well.