Transmitter Mode Showdown!

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by NickMyers, May 27, 2015.

?

Mode 1 or Mode 2?

1. Mode 1 (throttle on right stick)

15.0%
  2. Mode 2 (throttle on left stick)

80.0%
  3. Something Else!

5.0%
  1. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

Haha, interesting idea. The radio was actually customised so that my wife could come out to Nats a couple of years ago and still run a boat even though she only has fine motor control on her right hand because of her disability.

2. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I gotta go with mode 2. It comes down to what you think is more important, gunnery or maneuvering. I value accurate fire over precision maneuvers, so I use my primary hand for weapons and my off-hand for maneuvering. I know several people who do the exact opposite, for the same reason. They just place more emphasis on maneuvers, so they use mode 1.

3. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

This brings up an interesting question. What radio programming features do we as boat captains use in regards to the throttle channel, other than end point and trim adjustments. I am talking about specific to the throttle and perhaps features that are not available on other channels.

The reason I ask is because when I had spectrum DX6, they were mode 2, but I didn't run it like a Mode 2 (throttle on left) I moved the springs to the left gimbal. So the channel I used for the ESC was 'throttle' the only difference was the left gimbal now had sprints, the right gimbal didn't (actually was gone.. I use buttons).

On my DX6I Mode 1, I use the radio in the same way, except I didn't have to move any springs. The left gimbal had springs, and I run the throttle on the left just like my mode 2 radio (not on the right as Mode 1 was intended). The only difference is I plug my ESC into the 'elevator' channel rather than throttle. It works fine and have never had an issue.

So the issue is.. am I missing out on a programming feature that is only for the 'throttle' channel? I believe fail-safe is for all channels.. or is it? I don't use it anyway.

4. Kotori87

I know other radios are different, but my Spektrum DX7s beeps at me whenever the left stick (throttle) isn't zeroed when I turn it on. While that's a great safety feature for airplanes (my principal use for the device), it was extremely annoying when that was the only radio I had on-hand at the last battle. It seemed that at least once per hour it'd go beeping and buzzing at me for forgetting every little switch that has to be positioned just right.

5. Cannonman

Cannonman Ultimate Hero :P -->> C T D <<--

The HK Turnigy 9X I have is similar... kind of annoying, but I guess I can see the point.

6. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Fail safe depends on the receiver not the transmitter.

You might be missing out on dual rate or mixing features on other channels if you're using them instead of the throttle but the uses for those are pretty limited in my experience.

I can't see how which mode you use matters in the slightest as long as it works for you.

7. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

I just reprogrammed my 9X with ER9X software and now I don't have any of those annoying switch warnings. It was pretty easy and has other benefits too.

8. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

In the Frankenship build, I am using two servos to control the rudders. This is so I can mix and test the effects of having one rudder turn more than the other and all other combinations.

9. Cannonman

Cannonman Ultimate Hero :P -->> C T D <<--

I also have the ER9X firmware. Maybe since the firmware flash I don't get an alarm if the throttle isn't near it's neutral point, but I think I still get it if the switches aren't all up. It's been a few years since I flashed the firmware, but it seems like there was some configuration choices for the switch alarms if I am remembering it right.... I need to look at it again out of morbid curiosity.

10. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

I turned everything off... can't stand a radio that thinks it's smarter than me. It's in a menu somewhere.

absolutek and irnuke like this.
  11. Kotori87

I turned off the alarms in my 9X too, once I figured out how to. I just wish I could do the same with my DX7s! So frustrating, they don't even consider the possibility it might be used for something other than a plane....

12. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

Mode 2 with ratchets on throttle and depression.
    Futaba 6ex 2.4 with ch 5 & 6 for front n rear cannon on spring return switches so I can select fire or salvo.
    All ahead full and damn the torpedoes!
    Fire as targets bear!
    Shoot the French ships first!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015