Photos Treaty shipyards

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by froggyfrenchman, Jul 12, 2009.

1. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

This last weekend my classified project was unveiled. It was supposed to be ready to battle, but it just didn't quite make it. It did make it on the water for sea trials but without working guns I was not about to battle it.

So here's my Dunkerque
    Dunkerque.jpg

Bow section. The deck is printed vinyl that has been sealed with a flat clear coat. It looks nice.
    D turrets.jpg

Superstructure. All printed of course. I still need to add the secondary barrels, director arms, and paint windows. The top of the stack is the float and the stack is hollow to hold the recovery line. And there's all those French boats I posted in the resource section. Bilge keels are 1/8" fiberglass, installed through the sides.
    D superstructure.jpg

Fairly standard prop shafts and rudder. And the Loire 130 for my friends to obliterate.
    D prop shafts.jpg

Inside the bow. Water channel for the forward section also needs to be completed. I enclosed the first 8" or so of the bow since I didn't need the space. To avoid having to put the internal armor up in that area, I mounted a 1/8" perforated aluminum plate down the middle. I would like to see someone penetrate that!
    D bow internal.jpg

Nothing much in the rudder bay. Nice and clean, just how I like it.
    D rudder linkage.jpg

Motor bay is pretty much the same. Easy access to the drive shafts, motors, and dog bones.
    D motors.jpg

The equipment bay. I've done a lot of things to minimize clutter here. Starting with the control wiring, all the excess wire is captured in a box under the radio tray. And the radio tray is elevated to keep it out of the water except in the case of a sink. Along each side are what I'm calling lead bunkers - compartments with removable lids that I can put almost 10 lbs of lead in. I'll need to add about 5 lbs based on initial float tests. The battery may seem small, but my motors only draw 3.5 amps together when on speed, so it will last at least two sorties. All the equipment holders are printed and bolted to a 1/8" fiberglass sheet that has been tapped with 4-40 holes for the bolts. I should be able to completely clean out the equipment in about 5 minutes and replace it again in about 10 more minutes.
    D equpment bay.jpg

The guns are a work in progress. They are basically Arizona style guns with accumulators and QEV firing valves. The magazines are printed with fill tubes glued into the tops. While bench testing was successful, the aluminum barrels are not turning out to be very robust, so I'm going to replace them with stainless steel.
    D magazines.jpg

I have pivot (+-15 degrees) and elevate (0 to -10 degrees) incorporated into the turret barbet. The front barbet also rotates, but is unarmed so it can do a full 360 under manual control.
    D pivot and elevate.jpg

The B turret rides on a double thrust ball bearings, using 6mm airsoft ammunition as the balls. The front turret rides on a single thrust ball bearing and uses the deck as the second surface.
    D thrust bearings.jpg

2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

fantastic work again, as always

and here I was feeling pretty good about my little searchlights and 88s, lol

i am curious as to the gun choice vs a typical fast gun setup.

3. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

Even for Treaty the typical gun setup would be side mounts in the front turrets and one stern gun. I'm tired of trading side mounts, so I'm going to try a cruiser killer set up. I figure the quad bow mount will pack a pretty good punch and keep the cruisers running scared.

BTW, I saw one of your search lights this weekend. They are nicely detailed and I like them a lot.

Panzer likes this.
  4. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Makes sense. Even at Treaty ROF I'd be pretty eager to avoid being in the targeting zone of that quad. I assume you'll be in the upper speed echelons?

Thanks! I'll be uploading them soon, I need to do a little more adjustment- on my one printer they're just about perfect, on the other, the fit of the parts is looser than i'd like.

Panzer likes this.
  5. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Took me a second to realize that was a pic of the underside of the gun turrets haha. Looks outstanding! Something that we can all use as a stick to try to measure up to. Well done good sir. Well done.

6. Panzer

Panzer Iron Dog Shipwerks and CiderHaus

It looks as amazing in person as it does in the pictures. I was lucky enough to see it in person last W/e and was able to get some of the awesome stuff Rcengr produces. Absulutely fantastic!

7. Rayne Single

Rayne Single Admiral (Supporter)

that is a MINT dunkerque.....

8. Rayne Single

Rayne Single Admiral (Supporter)

my slug of a dunkerque.it has had a coat of paint since. big gun for ausbg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  9. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

10. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

11. jcollins

jcollins Active Member

My Bearn refit is finally ready!
    Bearn 1.jpg Bearn 2.jpg Bearn 3.jpg Bearn 4.jpg Bearn 5.jpg Bearn 6.jpg Bearn 7.jpg Bearn 8.jpg Bearn 9.jpg
    This gun is something Phil dreamed up. I haven't had it on the water yet but I can't wait to see how it does this July.

12. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

Is that a Wind class icebreaker there on the bench?

13. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

The little blue hull? Yes. I can say that definitively because I have one as well:)

14. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

yo, you uh... doing anything with that hull? did you get that message Ralph sent the two of us today?
    My dad's a retired puddle pirate and he has been watching my build progress with great enthusiasm, and I'm thinking of a Wind and some parts for a christmas present

15. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

I’ll send you a message.