Tribal class plug & mold build! (post-poned)

Discussion in '1/96 Battlestations' started by Beaver, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

The Tribal was started today. Nothing much to report except a few ribs cut out. :)
    [​IMG]
    More progress to follow,
    Beaver

2. Beaver

RE: Tribal class plug build!
    Got two more ribs cut out yesterday. Three more to go. :) Went to an auction today and picked up a new toy for the shop.
    [​IMG]

I have a feeling that I'm going to have a lot of fun learning to use this thing. :)

Beaver

3. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

RE: Tribal class plug build! How Many ribs did she have?
    Nikki

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

RE: Tribal class plug build! Very nice saw! The big work surface will make life a lot easier!!

5. Beaver

RE: Tribal class plug build! @ Nikki, she has a total of nine ribs.
    @Tugboat, thanks, I haven't tried cutting anything worthwhile yet, but I'm planning on cutting the remaining Tribal ribs today with it.

Beaver

6. Beaver

RE: Tribal class plug build! All but one rib has been cut out. Soon I hope, it'll start looking like a ship. :)

Beaver

7. NASAAN101

RE: Tribal class plug build! That's great, I wish you weren't so far, So i can help you with her :)
    Nikki

8. Beaver

RE: Tribal class plug build! All the ribs have been cut out, just some sanding to do and I'll be ready to start assembling.

Beaver

9. NASAAN101

RE: Tribal class plug build! Caleb,
    Can't wait to see her.
    Nikki

10. Beaver

RE: Tribal class plug build! All the ribs have been cleaned up, and I am ready to start assembling once I get a few thing printed and cut. :)
    I've also decided that I'm going to try and make a mold from this plug, so this should be a little interesting.
    If you're interested in seeing the thread that got me inspired to do this, check this out. His skills in making a plug amaze me. http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=82969

Beaver

11. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

RE: Tribal class plug build! Very skilled guy in that thread making the plug and mold.

12. Beaver

Indeed, I'll be happy if I can get something half that good. I've printed some pieces to cut and glue to the first and last ribs, so I can get a more accurate bow and stern.
    I'm planning on using the fiberglass mat that you can get at the auto parts store. How many layers of that would I need for a hull to be sufficiently bullet proof?
    Pics of plug progress tonight, :)

Beaver

13. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

RE: Tribal class plug build! I would think the V-106 thickness is going to be very sturdy.

14. Beaver

RE: Tribal class plug build! One note for you, Anachronus, when you do build V-106 you might want to back the ribs with some 1/8" ply. I took my hull and shot it with a regular Daisy BB gun that was rated at 350fps and it made a nice spider web looking shatter, but there were no penetrations. So backing it with some ply might make it a little bit more durable.

The stern pieces that I was talking about have been cut. Might need some adjustments to get it to work, as the pieces weren't scaled right and there is a little fluctuation between them.
    I guess we'll see,
    Beaver

15. Beaver

RE: Tribal class plug build! Photos are as promised. :D

These are all of the Tribal ribs. The order is left to right going down.
    [​IMG]

These are the pieces that I cut out for the stern resting up-side-down. It's pretty much the same idea for the stern.
    [​IMG]

Here they are right-side-up.
    [​IMG]

And last of all, a size comparison of the widest Tribal rib, and the widest Rodney rib, BIG difference!
    [​IMG]

The top piece for the Tribal stern is not scaled right, so it is a little small. I'll have to see if I can fix it, or see if I will need to cut another piece. :(

Beaver

16. Beaver

RE: Tribal class plug build! More progress today, got the bow pieces cut out. They're pretty much the same as the stern, except that it looks like a bow. :)
    I also got part of the stern gluing, so I'll be able to get working on connecting all of the ribs in a few days. :)

Beaver

17. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

350fps is a bit hotter than most of our guns shoot I think, but... your spiderweb cracking may hint at a few things -
    1 - you may have too much resin in the giberglass job - resin itself has little strength, the strength is in the fiberglass cloth/mat/weave,
    2 - you may not have a very good lamination of the two or more layers you used making your hull
    3 - you probably shouldnt shoot your hull with a regular bb gun.

18. Beaver

Well, I don't know what you use, but I don't use Giberglass. LOL :) I might have used too much resin. I'll have to try and use just enough to do the hull in my next try.

I do believe that I got good lamination between layers. When I make the hulls, I didn't let the first layer dry, but layed the next layer of FG right on and and soak it in resin.

I know that I shouldn't, but I wanted to see how well they are made. Also, I did "try" to shoot int between where I wanted the ribs.

Beaver

19. Beaver

RE: Tribal class plug & mold build! Two thirds of the bow pieces have been glued. I'm going to try and get the last piece glued tonight, and then I can work on getting her into one piece. :D

Beaver

20. Beaver

RE: Tribal class plug & mold build! Here are the bow and stern pieces completed. The idea was that these should give me a more accurate bow and stern. If not, I won't use this method in future plug builds.
    Well, enough with the blabber-mouthing, on with the pictures. :)

This is the bow and stern together.
    [​IMG]

Close up of the bow.
    [​IMG]

Top view of the bow and stern.
    [​IMG]

Enjoy,
    Beaver