Triples for a couple of CAs

Discussion in 'Weapons & Pneumatics' started by Jay Jennings, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I have never put a set of triples together and haven't found too much about it. We have 2 CAs to do, a Lutzow and a Mogami. Any pics and diagrams would be greatly appreciated. I have a boat load, (literally) of poppits, MAVs etc. I used check valves in my Scharnhorst duals, do I need more if those for the triples?

I would like to try firing boards and solenoids but I am not sure if there is room for them in the stern of a cruiser. And I don't know how they go together, what kind of firing board to use etc, etc etc. (I just haven't had the time to find the info I know is here, but I will.)

Thanks in advance to any help I can get.

J

2. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

I fit triples in a Fiji, pictures here, not too bad just need to conscious about where things are going, mainly deconflict motor placement vs turret, solenoids can be located nearby without too much issue

https://rcwarshipcombat.com/threads/hms-fiji-refit.445461/

I don't think mogami gets triples, at least not in same turret. The 3.5 unit version had dual turrets. I'm sure the rule savants will chime in if this is 'incorrect';)

3. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

Hey so how was running the triple with two fifty and a 25 on that Fiji?

Did you have a button that would activate all three, and then a button that would activate only two so that you wouldn't lose gas through the empty gun?

4. Kevin P.

The third solenoid will be unplugged if running 50 round duals, plug it in if running triple 25's

5. Jay Jennings

True. I was going to arm a second turret and do my best to aim the third gun to hit the same area as the other two, just fire all three together. Looking at the ship list,Mogami is listed as 3.5 units, but has 10 x 8 inch guns, even when launched. I suspect when she had triple 6s she wouldn't be as heavy and would get 3 units. Pity. A triple turret would make things easier I think.

J

6. Jay Jennings

Nice build! I will be referring to this as I go, Thanks.

J

7. Jay Jennings

As I dig deeper I find more questions (go figure).
    First loved the build pics, great looking ship, (for an Allied CL) ;)
    I see you used 3 solenoids, one per gun, how do you fire all at once?
    What are the tubes attached to each solenoid in this pic,
    are they accumulators? and you used check valves, one per gun right?
    What did you line your potting mold with, Wax paper? I can't remember it has been too long.
    Is potting the best way to waterproof the boards, What about scotch coat (never used it, just read about it) and how far up the connectors did you put the resin? I assume you blow out the connectors the same way I did with the Deans after they got wet.

J

PS, didn't mean to snipe your pic but I couldn't get the link to your thread to work.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  8. Jay Jennings

And of course there are more electrical questions, how do you fire all guns at once? Is that a function of the test switch board? I thought one would use one solenoid for all three guns, the way I did with MAVs and the doubles. And how did you waterproof the Rx, I always had mine in a watertight box?

Sorry for the barrage, trying to get back up to speed,

J

9. Kevin P.

The solenoids use the same electrical signal from the gun board (all in parallel). I made up some diagrams I can post when I get home for setting up the test switches. Tubes are 1/8 npt pipe nipples and they serve as accumulating tanks. The pipe nipples don’t have a great amount of volume, I found a better setup on a recent build that I can post later as well. There are check valves, one per gun.

Potting form was lined with wax paper, really your choice on the effort/mess trade off. There are multiple ways to waterproof that can work. I feel good about potting something like this, only concern is that you have to use a slow drying epoxy so it doesn’t heat up too much, which can damage the board. Skotchkote works too, kind of ugly/messy in my opinion. Can also use acrylic conformal coating which is cleaner but can be harder to verify coverage. Finally you can use e6000, which is what I used on the receiver. It’s like goop but less viscous. It works well. Go as far up on connectors as you can without impacting the connection

Test switches allow tweaking to guns one at a time, which leads to a much better bang (don’t listen to keyboard nation if they say otherwise, boats on the shelf don’t need their guns to be tweaked haha)

Hope this helps, I can post a bit more once I’m back on the computer

Jay Jennings likes this.
  10. Jay Jennings

Yes please, anything you think would be helpful. I am wading into new territory here and need to be able to teach my friends Dave and Barry, who are also in the hobby, (although Barry doesn't quite realize it yet ;) ).

Do you meant e6000 craft adhesive? I have never used it, nor heard of it until now,

J

11. Kevin P.

12. Kevin P.

[​IMG]
    Here is the setup im using on current builds.

Tank
    https://www.clippard.com/part/AVT-12-1
    Check valve
    https://www.clippard.com/part/MJCV-1AB
    And 1/8 NPT hex nipple (on left)
    And 1/8 NPT to 1/4" OD push to connect fitting
    Left side attaches to BC 1/8 NPT solenoid, air line in on right side. A lot fewer fittings than the other setup, more volume, similar price

No testing yet but I feel pretty good that it will work well, weight on the tank is nice, much better volume/space dimensions

13. Jay Jennings

Great!! Thanks a bunch. The Clippard bits look shorter than the setup in the other pic, Where did you put the diode in the firing cct. and what kind/size is iu?

I have a question about your Fiji though, You have your ESC in the box with the other electronics right? How do you cool it? Aren't you worried about heat damage to it and the surrounding components/wiring?

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it a great deal and if you think of anything else you would like to share, please feel free!!

J

14. Kevin P.

The diode is shown in the diagram above, I have pictures in other build threads I can post later. Heat generation running 380 motors in essentially non-existent. ESC goes through hole in bottom of box thing and is in water channeling. If ESC heat is damaging adjacent components then there is other problems haha

15. Jay Jennings

Gotcha and I went through the Tromp build thread, saw the answer to the ESC question (after I asked :) ), nice build too. Just think what you could do with a real warship build, you know, an AXIS ship...

J

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  16. Kevin P.

Yes axis ships are coming up soon. The axis captains do usually complain that I build axis-like allied ships (they actually work, shoot hard, etc)

Jay Jennings likes this.