Trouble with 2 Viper 15 esc

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by FishNHard, Aug 28, 2018.

1. FishNHard

FishNHard Member

Hey all, so on my NJ I have an issue with with getting both esc to go into set up at the same time 1 will flash and go into set up the other don't start flashing till I move the stick I tried turning them both off with the attached switch and they just don't seem to want to go into set up together , so im thinking if its worth getting a larger amp single esc to run both motors , running Johnson 970s but may go with 775s what say you all , JOHN

2. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

John, you could program the two ESC's separate and then power them both on together. Just had to do that this past weekend on a boat running brushed ESC's. You can run a single large ESC if you wanted, but I'd be careful with the stall load amp draw of those motors vs the amp rating of the ESC. If you get mossed up and the motor starts to drag, it will start pulling more amperage than normal. What would work any other day could easily fry a small ESC that wasn't up for the challenge.

I have a few of the Viper Marine esc's laying around that you could have as well, I've moved everything I have to brushless drive.

3. FishNHard

FishNHard Member

Thanks Will , ILL try messing with them again tomorrow to see if I can get them set . you running a single or double esc with the brushless motors ?

4. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Brushless requires an ESC for each motor.

5. FishNHard

FishNHard Member

Thanks Beaver, So lets say I wanted to go brushless on the NJ what size motors , esc and battery's would be good for that size ship.

6. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

It depends on your prop size, but generally I'd say a 400kv-380kv motor with a 100amp speed control would work. Are you direct drive right now? (AKA motors straight to props, no gearboxes or anything) And what voltage does the boat run at? 6 volt brick batteries? That also will change the motor recommendation, as brushless motors are rated in "KV" which essentially is RPM x Volt.

7. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Dump the programmable controllers. Get yourself a 60A Spark! Will drive your 970's and 775's just fine.

http://www.revrobotics.com/rev-11-1200/