Trying out the concrete sealant water channeling

Discussion in 'Construction' started by jadfer, Jul 1, 2008.

1. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Well I read about using the concrete sealant as a water channel and was especially interested in its self leveling properties.

In my Baden the builder had used foam for the water channel and it left a large gap between the foam and the hull. Large amounts of water would collect in the gap and affect its handling.

I added some wood behind each rib as reinforcement and to control the flow of the concrete sealant. I turned the boat on its side at an angle and poured in the sealant. It worked great. I didnt use it in the bow as I felt the epoxy with microballoons weighed less. Now when I pour water in the bow it runs straight to the center channel even with the bottle installed.

I also added some thick lexan armor attached to the wooden supports. I really like the sealant except that I had to do several sections a night so it took several days to do both sides as I had to wait a few hours between pours. However the results speak for themselves.

Thanks guys for the idea!

[​IMG]

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  2. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Yep its great stuff, thanks to Mikey and the Treaty group for putting this out.

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  3. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Does the sealant add any appreciable weight to the boat?

4. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

not the amount that I used. I heard it said they are 10oz tubes and I used maybe 3/4 or less so 6-8oz. I was underweight anyway and it tended to wobble side to side so I am hoping this extra weight will help stabilize it.

5. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

BB26, I used wood and epoxy for my water channel for years. I am now using the concrete sealant. It is lighter but adds no strenght to the hull. You have to take care in how thick you put it down because of it's set-up time. You also have to make sure that the material that you are using as a dam is sealed and will hold the sealant back. If there is a place where it can get past the dam it WILL find it.

6. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

I found a OH NO HOLE while the T was drying. The sealant was starting to come out into the water channel. I wiped it off & used CA immediately on the hole with quick-dry spray. Worked like a charm.

7. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

It worke great in your PE bb26.

8. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

Well all I don’t use it myself as with the Baltimore hull I don’t have weight to cover a spare BB .however this past week I spared with a team member a shake down for NATS we had 4 sorties and again two days later we tried but never got back fighting due to adjustments but two more days we did and all is good why you ask am I boring you with all this .well his problem with the USS Massachusetts was she was logy sat a whole ¼ inch below water line again not my ship but I’m relaying his findings the might Boston before being sunk quite handedly I might add scored some below water line hits enough to test his pumps but not his steel and in the day of soaking the concrete sealant soaked in enough weight to drop her in the water he has since removed it replaced with resin And all is well now I don’t know the brand and all that just thought I should throw this out there and builder beware you might see a trend starting here than again you might not good luck [:)]

9. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

He was not using this stuff, when it dries its solid rubber, water just sheets off of it. I have not seen any issues and my PE has gone down a few times with rams, and I know Mikey's has sunk enough also to test for this.

10. Gettysburg114th

Can I point out that Mikey was the first sink in Treaty combat? I have the video proof.

11. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

haha, so nice gettysburg. Come right out with the big guns why dont you?

12. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

I wonder if I used the sealant as my only water channel instead of epoxy coated balsa what the weight difference.

13. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

According to the sealants MSDS its a little denser than water, and according to wiki the high end for balsa density is about one fifth that of water. Epoxy is going to add some weight so I would guess that the sealant is probably 3-4 times heavier than if you did it with balsa. Is one better than the other? Yeah. Which one? Depends what you're doing. Oddly enough just like the rest of the hobby.

14. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Well I will be building a VDT in the fall and was just thinking of what I might use. Weight may be an issue and it may not.

15. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

you would make a good weather man [:D]

16. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Is there any chance you could take a picture from a different angle? Maybe a little further back? I'm looking at the attached image and I'm having a hard time figuring out what I'm looking at. Perhaps a different view would help me figure things out better.

17. Ragresen

Ragresen Member

I am not sure the sealent is right for all ships. I know that ships that tend to have balance issues, AKA the smaller ones, may well benefit from this, but again I will say it adds weight to the ship. I have used it in my Des Moines and the battle with it in her made for a much more stable ship and even helped with her freeboard issues I had before any water channeling. To use it I have to say you should plan well on ships tight on weight as you could end up heavy.

18. Gettysburg114th

One nice thing about the stuff is if you do use it and the ship comes up heavy it is much easier to remove than epoxy and other resins.

19. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

thats a very good point gettysburg, epoxy must suck to remove.

20. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

The previous picture was of the inside of the starboard midship with the lexan armor installed.

This picture is of the bow of the ship.

[​IMG]

I tilted the ship to get it to have the slanted angle. So far in testing cups of water flow quicly to the center channel.