Tugboat's $60 workshop

Discussion in 'Construction' started by Tugboat, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

In the none-too-distance past, a gentleman remarked that building a ship was not possible because he did not have quite as many tools and accoutrements as le shop du Tugboat... This bothered me. Not that he was coveting my workshop in all its pristine glory... but that he thought that being of modest means prevented him from acquiring the necessary tools to build a hull for himself.
    SO, I proceeded to make the aether-net contact with Harbor Freight, and spent a small fortune ($58.22 including shipping) on The Basics, consisting of (at this point):
    12-pc Needle File set
    36-pc Hex Key set (Allen wrenches, yo)
    12-pc File & Rasp set
    34-pc Precision Screwdriver (you'd think it would say 'set' after that, but it doesn't)
    6-inch Coping Saw
    3-inch C-clamp
    Rotary Tool Kit
    Large Snap-Blade Utility Knife
    ...and a partridge in a peeaaarrrr treeeeeee...

Chief Hull Inspector Tuxcat of BuShips was on hand to inspect the tools as they were unpacked...
    [​IMG]
    I then sensed that such an expensive tool set DEMANDED a suitably grand container wherein to reside... So I search high and low, and returned with THIS, the finest shoebox in all the closet... pictured atop the box that the tools were shipped in, next to a specialized box-opening toolset that happens to have the keys to my automobile attached.
    [​IMG]
    I then used a snap-knife (a lot like the one I ordered) to commence to cutting pieces of cardboard...
    [​IMG]
    And suddenly, a small daemonette materialized and began chewing on things...
    [​IMG]
    I will be right back, as soon as the daemonette is dealt with! Your pardon, gentle reader...

John Bruder, NickMyers and absolutek like this.
  2. Tugboat

So, the house being thoroughly exercised (not exorcised, the little daemonette exercises everyone), I am back to continue my work. The Shoebox Toolbox continues...

I cut out pieces of cardboard from the box that the tools came in, and used high-strength packing tape to assemble them into 'bumpers' on the bottom of the toolbox, to keep the tools there from crashing around too much. In the lower level, the coping saw, the c-clamp, and the rotary tool. The small box of appurtenances that goes with the rotary tool is not pictured. The cardboard running around the perimeter of the toolbox is a shelf to hold the tray with the rest of the tools...
    [​IMG]
    The tray was built up from the rarest of corrugated cardboards purchased for a prince's ransom in popcorn from a one-eyed Bohemian in a back-street market in Bangladesh. Sketchy fellow, that one. In any case, I cut and shaped it to fit the inside of the toolbox. In the image below, we are looking at the underside of the tray, which is recessed about 3/4" in order to put in diagonal braces, which firm up the floor of the tray some. This could also be done with the packing tape, but the hot glue gun felt lonely, and came over to offer its kind assistance in the matter.
    [​IMG]
    I thought I had taken more pictures of the tray than I did; these will be made tomorrow, and edited in for your viewing pleasure. In the meantime, I have a picture of the tool tray in the Shoebox Toolbox, with the remaining implements of the impoverished model boatwright therein...
    [​IMG]
    Note that the corners of the shoebox have been reinforced, to extend the useful life of the box. Upcycling of an old shoebox... very ECCO-friendly, if you get my drift... ;)

[​IMG]

Next week: Forget what you know about using white vinegar to sheet your boat! I will endeavour to show you, gentle reader, how thru the use of a rotating waffle iron, you may make light of one of the hobby's most onerous chores!
    [​IMG]

3. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

12 in. Tool Tote

I would add this bag to the mix. It makes everything easy, tools are there and you can add more to the bag.

4. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Is the key to this the 'Easy one flip operation' ?

You could... but i think the shoebox is more fitting givenvthe origins here.

5. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Sandpaper, a sanding block, and a tube of GOOP (or are those consumables)?

6. Tugboat

I didn't get too heavily into the consumables, that'll come with the inevitable hull build. Because there aren't enough hulls in my shop.

7. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

That toolbox looks a hell of lot more organized than your shop.... LOL

8. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

You know, Tuggy...that could be a pretty cool door-prize for a meet. Or even sell tickets & do a raffle.

9. Tugboat

@McSpuds : 'A tidy workshop is a sign of an uncluttered mind.'
    @Jeff : Hmmmm...

Maybe after it gets used to prove it's capable of producing a hull :)

10. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

On that topic....when is the next Tugboat Mega-build Thrash Weekend TM?

11. Tugboat

Spudsy mentioned something about wanting to do one... want to do one in February? And if so, what madness to perpetrate upon an unsuspecting world? Matching predreads? :) Armoured cruisers?

12. PrepmasterNick

PrepmasterNick Active Member

13. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Any weekend is good for me. I can bring both the Baden for a tune-up & Panzerkreuzer Wahnsinnig

14. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

I say we do a "Spring Cleaning" build... get all the cobwebs off the boats and see where we are at for the upcoming season...

I need tons of work on my VDT...

Need at least one more week to allow for tax return? :woot:

15. Tugboat

Not the weekend of Valentine's Day. The wife got that settled as soon as I mentioned needing a weekend for a 2-day build session... :)

Weekend after Valentines?

16. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Done! I'll be there

17. Tugboat

Wait! Wait! Spudsy said that he'd prefer the weekend after that... I think it's the 30th, and the 1st. does that work? If so, I'll post it in the SAS forum, and on the SAS website events list...

18. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

30th works fine, too.

19. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I'll be starting shift work in a couple weeks, but I'll send a clone to do my dirty work.

20. Tugboat

Hahaha. Is your clone back from deployment yet?