Tugboat's Evstafi

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Tugboat, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

The only reason that they might be iffy is the angle. A stray bb hitting them will go up. Of course even with balsa it might work like sloped armor.

2. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

I know tuggy, just saying.

3. PreDread

PreDread Active Member

I don't look great underwater [;)]

4. BoomerBoy17

Fear God and Dread Not.

or

Fear him and Dread alot

5. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

True. It'd take some serious plastic surgery to save you [:D]

6. PreDread

PreDread Active Member

Plastic Surgery???

Don't you mean balsa and silkspan [:D]

7. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

No battle this weekend for me; the instructor for my main nursing class is having surgery sometime late this week and so a big test got moved up to Tuesday. Studies have to come first :( I will continue my build after Tuesday afternoon.

8. BoomerBoy17

Dont'cha hate when life gets in the way?

9. Tugboat

I hate it a little; I can live with it since I finish in a year or so, and that doubles my salary, which guarantees that I have the cash to get to all the regional battles and sleep in my own hotel room if I want :) Also, I can schedule work around battles :)

10. BoomerBoy17

Very cool Tug, what do you do? Im hoping to attend a good school up here(in the Northeast) for aerospace/aeronautical engineering, so i want a ship before college gets in the way. Glad to hear ur doing well though, good luck.

11. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Schooling is about to hit me again. Going in for a degree in historic preservation.

12. Tugboat

Update on Evie and Izzie... Izzie has a lot more ribs today than she did this time yesterday. Tonite hopefully a subdeck, too. I also melted some wax on rough areas of the Alaska mold.

13. MotoPhoto

MotoPhoto Member

Glad to hear of the progress and hope to see pics soon. Please remember to avoid all spicy foods for dinner tonight. I'd hate to see another set back like the other week.

;*)

14. Tugboat

LOL... no mexican food tonite!

15. BoomerBoy17

it doesnt sound like the set back was.......uneventful, ehh?

16. Tugboat

I got some time off from work and nursing school at the same time... so tonite, I got in the shop. I melted some wax on the Alaska mold rough spots, and got to cutting wood. After I finished cutting out Izzie's subdeck, I had long decided that my jigsaw blade was dull. So I swapped in a new one, and got to cutting some ribs out. The new blade was great, but the saw is now making wierd popping noises as I push the wood through it. Scary. I checked the blade, but nope, it's seated properly. My saw may be dying at last; it's lived a long and glorious life (>25 years of service), sawing through materials that I am certain it's not rated for. So I may be having to give it a hero's funeral soon, and buying a new saw. Anyhow, here are some pics of Izzie (Ioann Zlatoust) with almost all the ribs aft of rib 7 (inclusive), and a subdeck. It looks wierd in the first pic, just the camera angle :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lastly, I got some concrete sealer put into the bilges on Evie (Evstafi). I only put in a 1/4" layer, as the instructions on the bottle say 'for deep cracks, fill the crack in multiple 1/4" layers.' Also, my test shot 1/2" deep cracked something fierce when done in one shot.

[​IMG]

17. BoomerBoy17

awesome, it looks great.

18. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

I like that thumbscrew rudder servo mount. Should make it real easy to swap servos fast.

19. Tugboat

Thanks, Boomer :)

That was the goal, Mike ;) I actually thought of it when I was outfitting the Australia (which has the first one of these that I did). My worst problem with Invincible has been rudder servoes pooping the bed (so to speak), and having a hell of a time swapping them out. Any resulting kludged servo mounts inevitably fail in short order. So, I decided to try a quick-change mount that required no tools, and standardized on Futaba servos (since I have bunches of them now). For Evstafi, I made a similar setup for the gun servo (no solenoids here in the po-boy navy :) A few pages back, there's a pic of the two PAV-2's that the gun servo actuates via a MAV-3.

It's a pretty simple construction; I'll do a quick tutorial with pics at some point. It's also easy to scale up for a larger servo like you'd use on a BB rudder(s)...

20. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

At Nats I helped Mike swap out his Richelou's rudder servo between sorties, we both worked together on it, and just got it done it time before the next sortie started, with Clarks quick release system it would of made short work of it.