Turning question

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by U.S.S. Arazona, Apr 24, 2013.

1. U.S.S. Arazona

U.S.S. Arazona Active Member

I was reading a couple posts, and one mentioned someone's (Ralph's ?) Yamato that turned as well as his local North Carolina's. I always thought that the North Carolinas would turn better than the Yamato, so I'm wondering how the Yamato turned as well as it did. Anybody have any idea?

2. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Lots of things affect turning. Not all are legal to do in all clubs. My old (fast gun) yamato turned exceptionally well due to almost all the rudder area,being on stern rudder, airfoil rudder selected for high stall AOA, and only powering inboard shafts

• Weight distribution in ship
      • Point mass at or near center of buoyancy turns better than distributed mass which turns better than two point masses located at bow/stern
    • Lift/Drag of rudder(s)
      • Rudder shape
        • Nonscale and semiscale shapes that are shaped properly stall at higher AOA and produce more lift than poor shapes from a fluid mechanics sense
        • Not all shapes legal in all rulesets
      • Rudder size and spacing
        • see rule set
      • Wash over rudder
        • Propwash that misses the rudder does not help turning.
        • Powering only some props can help
        • Proper tuning of blade geometry and count can turn a poor turning ship into a good turning ship (if allowed by ruleset)
        • Moving props to non-scale locations and using non-scale props
          • Not legal in all formats. See your local rules, big gun typically requires scale-ish positions and allows oversized props based on a multiplier on area.
    As another example, CFD optomization of rudders/props on a baden resulted in a significant improvement in the lift force peak as well as a smoothing of the curve so that it did not fall off the cliff as fast as other non-optomized geometry.

3. U.S.S. Arazona

Would using the shaped rudders you used on the baden work for most ships if you changed the rudder area to mach whichever ship you build, or do you have to change the shape aswell?

4. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

the profile should be a good choice, however the aspect ratio (height to width) depends on prop configuration and rudder position

5. U.S.S. Arazona

In an In-line setup, would turning the secondary rudder opposite of the primary rudder increase turning ability, or hinder it?

6. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Generally, most inline setups seem to perform better by adding most of the allowed rudder area to one rudder and make the other rudder as small as possible.

7. U.S.S. Arazona

I've heard different opinions on the turning ability of an Iowa verses that of a Yamato. Would the Iowa generally turn better due to it's dual rudders, or would a Yamato turn better because of it's shorter length?

8. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

The Yammer's not appreciably shorter enough for that to help. :)

9. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

The main difference between the Yamato and Iowa is beam and hull form. The Iowas were long skinny ships built for speed. The Yamato was a wide ship. I've seen both on the water at the same time and the Yamato could out turn the Iowa. This actually mirrors the full size ships. The original ship had a remarkably good turning radius.

10. U.S.S. Arazona

Thanks for the input. I'm considering doing either a Yamato or an Iowa once I finish and battle the Cleveland sitting downstairs. So it seems, at least with treaty, that the Iowa has the speed, but the Yamato has the turning advantage.I'll probably start an Iowa vs Yamato thread sometime down the road.