Turret attachment

Discussion in 'Construction' started by radollar2000, Feb 22, 2010.

1. radollar2000

radollar2000 Active Member

Okay so I'm at the stage where I'm trying to get details of the superstructure all together and looking semi nice and was just curious as to how others are permenatly or semi permenatly attaching parts and pieces. There is always the glue/epoxy opoiton, and I think I read somewhere of magnets. (Don't the things held on with magnets get shot off alot though?) So anyway, I'm just looking for a few good ideas to try. Cheers

2. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

I've never used magnets myself but I have seen some really good installations and I doubt that bb's will shoot them off.

3. moose421

moose421 Member

I have used CA to glue the non functional turrets on. I have used small hindges to attach the turrets that the guns are under. I also have seen triple turreted ones that just slide over the barrels and rest over the barbett.

Kim

4. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

radollar, please clarify. Are you talking about turret covers, barbettes, or both? Rotating guns, non-rotating guns, or dummy turrets? Different situations call for different solutions, so more information would be helpful.

5. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

I use a brass pin with a clip through it. It also doubles as an extra gun pin if I need it.
    [​IMG]

6. radollar2000

radollar2000 Active Member

Quite right Kotori. This is for my fast gun Des Moines. The turret over the active triple guns in the back stays on by having the barrels slide through. The reason for my question stems from the fact that at some point I want to play with putting a spurt cannon in one of the bow turrets and so I wanted to be able to secure it without making it permanently attached.

7. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

I like hinges, easy to flip open and work on the ship, never come off, well almost never I had a barrbet with the hinge and turret shot off. Rare earth magnets work well, very strong. Some put a small tube on the turret with a larger tube on the barbet so the tubes slid together. Use your gun safety pin string to tie the something on the deck to the turret and the pin so if something does fall off it does not get into the water.

8. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

I use pins in mine like the rc cars use to hold the bodies on. Brass 3/16 drilled for a pin.
    [​IMG]